Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 139  All

Author Topic: Easy Puzzles  (Read 808382 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: Easy Puzzles
« Reply #250 on: June 12, 2013, 04:31:44 pm »

Here's the next one:

Name the 5 single kingdom card piles, that no matter which other 9 kingdom card piles are present, can make a player get down to 0 cards in deck, discard and hand.
Knights, Bishop, Island, Black Market, Governor.

Ok. I should also have had "No matter which cards are in the Black Market deck".
The others are 4 of the 5 I was thinking of, so there's still 1 missing.

lol at Governor... because it needs to be played A LOT for it to work. Say it's a Kingdom that has cards at every cost (including Poor House for $1, and Platinum for $9. And Peddlers or 3-player game for more than 8 $8-cost cards) and you started with Shelters.

In order to leave yourself with 0 cards in play, in deck, and in hand... your opponent needs to play Governor 97 times.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #251 on: June 12, 2013, 05:05:51 pm »

Here's the next one:

Name the 5 single kingdom card piles, that no matter which other 9 kingdom card piles are present, can make a player get down to 0 cards in deck, discard and hand.

Ok. I should also have had "No matter which cards are in the Black Market deck".

lol at Governor... because it needs to be played A LOT for it to work. Say it's a Kingdom that has cards at every cost (including Poor House for $1, and Platinum for $9. And Peddlers or 3-player game for more than 8 $8-cost cards) and you started with Shelters.

In order to leave yourself with 0 cards in play, in deck, and in hand... your opponent needs to play Governor 97 times.
But that number goes down if you play your own Governors.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Simon (DK)

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Sirusc
  • Respect: +218
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 12, 2013, 07:48:10 pm »
+1

Here's the next one:

Ooh i like this :) A puzzle within my puzzle. How few Governors are actually needed at most given the kingdom?

I calculated it to that you can do it on any kingdom with 13 Governor plays, but I forgot a pretty important thing, that probably will make it less. It has to be another day I think about that though.
If anyone else wants to calculate this, then remember that you can get a single Governor yourself (I assume we play in the real world, so if you shuffle enough times you will hit 5$), and that you can empty 2 piles before the last turn and more piles in the last turn.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 12, 2013, 08:21:14 pm »

Here's the next one:

Ooh i like this :) A puzzle within my puzzle. How few Governors are actually needed at most given the kingdom?

I calculated it to that you can do it on any kingdom with 13 Governor plays, but I forgot a pretty important thing, that probably will make it less. It has to be another day I think about that though.
If anyone else wants to calculate this, then remember that you can get a single Governor yourself (I assume we play in the real world, so if you shuffle enough times you will hit 5$), and that you can empty 2 piles before the last turn and more piles in the last turn.

Uh, no way you can do it in 13 on ANY kingdom. 

Ideal case is: no Poor House, no $4 or $7 card, starting Estates.  Then it takes 7 plays of Governor by the opponent to clear the Coppers, 3 plays of Governor by you to clear the Estates, and 2 plays of Governor by the opponent so you can go Governor->Gold->missing $7.  That's a total of 12 plays.  Not bad.

If Poor House is in the kingdom, then your Coppers have to first become either PH or Estate (or another $2).  That's already 7 plays.  If there are no $4 cards in the kingdom, then you can get rid of the 10 Estates in your deck in 10 more plays of Governor.  Then you need your opponent to play Governor twice, so that you can go Governor->Gold->nothing, assuming there are no $7s in the kingdom.

So if PH is in the kingdom, you need a minimum of 19 plays.  If there are $4s and $7s, you need far more plays.

It also gets more difficult if you start with Shelters because you can't directly get rid of them either.  They will go Shelter->Estate or Shelter->Silver first.  So the best you can do with that is Shelter->Estate->missing $4 or Shelter->Silver->missing $4.  It thus takes 6 plays of Governor to clear these guys.  However, you could buy an Estate at some point to trash Hovel, which you can then go Estate->missing $4 directly, so 5 plays.  Without PH, it takes 7 opponent plays to clear Copper and 2 opponent plays to trash your Governor.  The total is 14 plays.

If the kingdom has a $7 cost card, it will take an extra 2 plays to trash your Governor: Gov->Gold->$7->Province->missing $9.  If Platinum is in, it takes one more play to go Plat->missing $10.

If the kingdom has a $4 cost card, then man you have troubles. :P

Edit: Err, wait, are you even talking about the same thing?  Are you just trying to end the game, or following the original puzzle of having 0 cards?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 08:22:33 pm by eHalcyon »

florrat

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: florrat
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 12, 2013, 08:47:07 pm »
+1

Note that the player who is not going to clear its deck can buy stuff first. For example if Poor House is in de kingdom, player 2 can first buy all 10 Poor Houses and then play a Governor 7 times for remodel, and player 1 can get rid of all is copper. If player 2 also buys out the silver pile and there are no other $3's in the kingdom, then player 1 can get rid of his starting hand with 10 Governor plays (player 2 should buy out the estates if you start with shelters).

But I'm puzzled how you should do something similar in an arbitrary kingdom with just 3 more Governor plays, as Simon claims is possible.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: June 12, 2013, 10:03:40 pm »

Note that the player who is not going to clear its deck can buy stuff first. For example if Poor House is in de kingdom, player 2 can first buy all 10 Poor Houses and then play a Governor 7 times for remodel, and player 1 can get rid of all is copper. If player 2 also buys out the silver pile and there are no other $3's in the kingdom, then player 1 can get rid of his starting hand with 10 Governor plays (player 2 should buy out the estates if you start with shelters).

But I'm puzzled how you should do something similar in an arbitrary kingdom with just 3 more Governor plays, as Simon claims is possible.

Mm, didn't think of that.  But yeah, the arbitrary kingdom could still mess with that.  Hmm.

Simon (DK)

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: June 13, 2013, 04:33:02 am »

I see now a big problem with my calcultaions. I forgot to account for that the player not getting down to 0 cards, has to have something in hand to trash.
A big part of my calculations was, that in the last turn, he played 2 Governors for draw, giving you 7 cards and him 7 Governors to play for trash. But he can't play 7 Governors for trash when he only has 2 other cards in hand.
I was pretty tired when I did the calculations.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 25, 2013, 05:23:44 am »

With Guilds being available, I now can think of two ways to open with Platinum in a 2 player game.
Now wouldn't that be fun to pull off?

By "open" in this case I mean "stuff you do before your third turn".

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Simon (DK)

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 25, 2013, 07:48:59 am »

With Guilds being available, I now can think of two ways to open with Platinum in a 2 player game.

1:
Turn 1: Your opponent buys Noble Brigand. You buy Stonemason and gain Death Cart/Death Cart.
Turn 2: Your opponent buys something. You play Necropolis, Death Cart, Death Cart and buy a Platinum (It's also possible to buy Colony on turn 2 this way).

2:
Turn 1: Your opponent buys Noble Brigand. You buy Stonemason and gain Smithy/Coppersmith.
Turn 2: Your opponent buys something. You play Necropolis, Smithy, Coppersmith and buy a Platinum.

A combination of the 2 are also possible (Death Cart/Smithy or Death Cart/Coppersmith).
Envoy is also a possibility instead of Smithy.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: June 25, 2013, 08:51:17 am »

1:
Turn 1: Your opponent buys Noble Brigand. You buy Stonemason and gain Death Cart/Death Cart.
Turn 2: Your opponent buys something. You play Necropolis, Death Cart, Death Cart and buy a Platinum (It's also possible to buy Colony on turn 2 this way).

2:
Turn 1: Your opponent buys Noble Brigand. You buy Stonemason and gain Smithy/Coppersmith.
Turn 2: Your opponent buys something. You play Necropolis, Smithy, Coppersmith and buy a Platinum.

A combination of the 2 are also possible (Death Cart/Smithy or Death Cart/Coppersmith).

How do you overpay for Stonemason by $4 on your first turn, even after Noble Brigand? You need $6.

Simon (DK)

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: June 25, 2013, 08:59:15 am »

1:

2:

How do you overpay for Stonemason by $4 on your first turn, even after Noble Brigand? You need $6.

With Baker in the Kingdom and a 5/2 start.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: June 25, 2013, 09:26:34 am »

Heh, I hadn't even thought of Stonemason, but my solutions both use the coin from Baker on t2 and the Noble Brigand flip on t1.

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 25, 2013, 09:56:04 am »

You have a 5 card hand.  You do not play any actions, you do not have any durations, you do not have any coin tokens.  Your treasures add up to $5.  You gain a Gold.  How?
A man on a mission.

Simon (DK)

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: June 25, 2013, 10:03:54 am »

You have a 5 card hand.  You do not play any actions, you do not have any durations, you do not have any coin tokens.  Your treasures add up to $5.  You gain a Gold.  How?

Venture?

chester

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +21
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 25, 2013, 10:07:14 am »

Counterfeit
Venture
Diadem
Hoard
Fool's gold on opponent's turn.

Edit: Loan/Tunnel, Counterfeit/Market Square
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 10:09:28 am by chester »

Powerman

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 25, 2013, 10:15:10 am »

And there are only Base treasures.
A man on a mission.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: June 25, 2013, 10:30:14 am »

You have a market square and watchtower in hand.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 25, 2013, 10:44:09 am »

$5 includes Hoard, buy duchy.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 25, 2013, 10:45:39 am »

1:

2:

Right, of course. You didn't mention it so I forgot.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 25, 2013, 10:46:01 am »

...he said only base treasures, which I assume means only copper-silver-gold-platinum.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: June 25, 2013, 10:59:13 am »

...he said only base treasures, which I assume means only copper-silver-gold-platinum.

Oh. Well the market square/watchtower thing works. You could also watchtower sir gold gainer since he costs $5.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 25, 2013, 12:47:54 pm »

Overpay for doctor with tunnel on your deck.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 25, 2013, 02:08:50 pm »

1:

2:

Right, of course. You didn't mention it so I forgot.
My two solutions were:
P1 opens Noble Brigand and flips 2 Estates, gives you a Copper, last 3 cards in your deck are Copper

P2 opens either Coppersmith or Envoy with 4C-E
P2 draws 3C (reshuffle), 1C and either Envoy or Coppersmith
Coppersmith played on 4 Coppers gives $8, using the Coin gives $9
Envoy draws 4 Coppers (that's why we needed the extra Copper from NB) and again we have $8 with a Coin.

A new one: I think you guys can figure out how to gain a Prize on turn 3...

Just a Rube

• Golem
  • Respect: +385
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 25, 2013, 03:38:34 pm »
+3

It's not your turn.

Your opponent plays Margrave, you draw a Tunnel and discard it. Your opponent then plays a knight and trashes Sir Vander, so you gain another Gold. He then plays Council Room, causing you to draw a Market Square, which you reveal when he plays a Thief, for another Gold. He then plays Spy, and discards the Tunnel on top of your deck, for another Gold. He then plays a Swindler, turning your Adventurer into a Gold.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 03:39:36 pm by Just a Rube »

Powerman

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 25, 2013, 05:05:58 pm »

Oh. Well the market square/watchtower thing works. You could also watchtower sir gold gainer since he costs $5.

Yup, Watchtower + Sir Gold Gainer was my main idea.
A man on a mission.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 139  All

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 21 queries.