Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 139  All

Author Topic: Easy Puzzles  (Read 808606 times)

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
Re: Easy Puzzles
« Reply #125 on: April 29, 2013, 08:18:26 pm »

do you have enough kingdom cards for that? Let's see:

young witch, black market, trade route, island, native village, pirate ship, goons/bishop/monument, marauder, tournament, hermit, urchin, potioncard. That's 12 cards. However, I think you just put all those cards in the BM deck and you're set, so nevermind.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 01, 2013, 07:13:54 am »

It's just 2p though, not 6. :)

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 01, 2013, 10:45:38 am »
+1

Reading through the embargo-curse problem I thought of another:

This two player game is close to its end with only one Province remaining. You're currently behind on the score so it's time for action.
It's your turn and your hand consists of Necropolis, Scout, Pillage, Curse and Embargo. Bwleugh! Why does this horrible draw have to happen right now? Admitted, buying that Scout might have been a mistake in a kingdom with no other green cards except for the basic three.
The good news is that the Scout reveals four Golds, so next turn is easy sailing. If only you can survive that long.
Next you play Necropolis and Pillage. Your opponent reveals five duplicates of a single card!
Finally you see what to do: Your only winning move is to embargo the remaining two curses.

What did your opponent reveal? What's happening here?

Edit: yes, I meant duplicates. sorry & thanks
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 11:24:22 am by -Stef- »
Join the Dominion League!

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 01, 2013, 10:51:27 am »

Your opponent reveals five equal cards!

Equal meaning they are duplicates?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #129 on: May 01, 2013, 12:54:09 pm »

This two player game is close to its end with only one Province remaining. You're currently behind on the score so it's time for action.
It's your turn and your hand consists of Necropolis, Scout, Pillage, Curse and Embargo. Bwleugh! Why does this horrible draw have to happen right now? Admitted, buying that Scout might have been a mistake in a kingdom with no other green cards except for the basic three.
The good news is that the Scout reveals four Golds, so next turn is easy sailing. If only you can survive that long.
Next you play Necropolis and Pillage. Your opponent reveals five duplicates of a single card!
Finally you see what to do: Your only winning move is to embargo the remaining two curses.

The Estate and Copper piles are empty, there are no $2s, your opponent went first, you are only one point behind and your opponent reveals a hand full of Goons. He could end the game on piles if he bought two curses and gained +2VP, but now he can't, because he will gain only one VP from Goons and that will make him lose one point, and that makes him lose the game.

EDIT: @eHalcyon: True, that's not necessary. But that was the first scenario I could think of, and besides, simplicity is overrated.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 01:11:58 pm by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 01, 2013, 12:59:29 pm »

I was about the post the same solution, except that I don't think it's necessary to specify there are no other $2 or cheaper cards.  If you are only 1VP behind, the most points he could get in his turn is 3 -- Estate and 2VP from Goons (from buying another Copper or something).  As long as this doesn't end the game, e.g. by running out Estates, then he will be 4VP up -- the last Province will still let you win.

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 01, 2013, 02:39:07 pm »

The Estate and Copper piles are empty, there are no $2s, your opponent went first, you are only one point behind and your opponent reveals a hand full of Goons. He could end the game on piles if he bought two curses and gained +2VP, but now he can't, because he will gain only one VP from Goons and that will make him lose one point, and that makes him lose the game.

EDIT: @eHalcyon: True, that's not necessary. But that was the first scenario I could think of, and besides, simplicity is overrated.

Yes that was my solution too. Although for completeness you could specify you got the embargo from the black market, because otherwise another Embargo is available for $2.

I was about the post the same solution, except that I don't think it's necessary to specify there are no other $2 or cheaper cards.  If you are only 1VP behind, the most points he could get in his turn is 3 -- Estate and 2VP from Goons (from buying another Copper or something).  As long as this doesn't end the game, e.g. by running out Estates, then he will be 4VP up -- the last Province will still let you win.
No that doesn't work. The puzzle states that "Your only winning move is to embargo the remaining two curses". If no piles are low, you're not losing anyway.
Join the Dominion League!

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #132 on: May 01, 2013, 03:52:53 pm »

No that doesn't work. The puzzle states that "Your only winning move is to embargo the remaining two curses". If no piles are low, you're not losing anyway.
Though, any two empty piles will do, they don't necessarily have to be Estate and Copper as long as buying an Estate and a Copper doesn't empty either pile.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 01, 2013, 06:37:30 pm »

Though, any two empty piles will do, they don't necessarily have to be Estate and Copper as long as buying an Estate and a Copper doesn't empty either pile.

Yes, that was my point. :)

hyramgraff

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 03, 2013, 04:09:07 pm »

Ok, I came up with a puzzle of my own.

You have a five card hand an only one buy but you can still empty the gold, silver, copper and curse piles.  How is this possible?

Bonus mode: Can you still do it if there are no embargo tokens out at the start of your turn.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 03, 2013, 04:12:35 pm »

Does it mean you start with 1 buy or end with 1 buy?
And do you have to empty the entire piles or just get the last ones?

Otherwise, simply:
1. Hamlet, draw and discard Tunnel, get Gold
2. Village
3. Bureaucrat, get Silver
4. Beggar, get 3 Coppers
5. X

Buy Curse.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 04:16:26 pm by Davio »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 03, 2013, 04:17:08 pm »

You have a five card hand an only one buy but you can still empty the gold, silver, copper and curse piles.  How is this possible?

Bonus mode: Can you still do it if there are no embargo tokens out at the start of your turn.

Only one left of each
Crossroads + Haggler x3
Buy Gold, gain Silver, Copper and Curse.

:)

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 03, 2013, 04:52:42 pm »
+1

you can do it without playing any cards!

purchase embargoed copper, trash copper+curse with watchtower, discard two market square for golds, reveal trader for the first one but not the second.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 03, 2013, 09:29:39 pm »

No one wins this until they figure it out with full piles of all four.

Hard mode: By Turn 3.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 03, 2013, 10:39:43 pm »
+1

No one wins this until they figure it out with full piles of all four.

Hard mode: By Turn 3.

This thread is called easy puzzles. Not easy for CC puzzles.

Simon (DK)

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Sirusc
  • Respect: +218
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 04, 2013, 03:27:26 pm »
+1

You can do it with only 3 cards if there's 1 left of each and no embargoes:
Play King's Court
Play Mine
Make treasure into Copper
Make Copper into Silver
Make Silver into Gold
Buy Curse
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 03:28:46 pm by Simon (DK) »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 04, 2013, 06:35:56 pm »

KC-KC-Beggar-Rebuild-X

Beggar will produce 9 Copper
Rebuild can hit 3 Feoda for 9 Silver, all the while flipping a bunch of Tunnels for up to 24 Gold (assuming you have all 8 Tunnels and they all get flipped as you search for the one Feodum that is rebuilt into another Feodum for the next Rebuild)
X can be Beggar or Rebuild, for whichever pile is bigger.
Buy something embargoed 10 times to run out Curse...

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 05, 2013, 05:03:51 am »
+4

Assuming 60 Coppers, 40 Silvers, 30 Golds and 10 Curses, I can empty them all without buying anything.

Hand is Scrying Pool + 4x Colony
Play SC, draw KC (x10), Beggar (x7), Trader (x2), Golem (x1), Young Witch (x4) and Ace of Spades
Play a string of KC's letting us play 19 action cards 3 times, not that we need all 19

Play 7 Beggars 3 times for 60 Coppers
Trader 4 Colonies for 40 Silvers
Play Golem, discarding 8 Tunnels 3 times for 24 Golds
Play 4 Young Witches 3 times, dealing out 10 Curses, discarding 2 Tunnels 3 times to get 30 Golds total
Play Ace of Spades and confuse your opponent

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 05, 2013, 09:57:08 pm »

new puzzle, it's pretty easy:

you play a counting house. There are multiple coppers in your discard pile. You pick up some, but not all, of those coppers. picking up the number of coppers you did, is, in this case, your best move. Why?

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 05, 2013, 10:13:40 pm »

You're going to play loan, have no other treasure in your deck, and want to trash one?
A man on a mission.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 05, 2013, 10:19:17 pm »

That works. that wasn't what I had in mind. I can think of a couple others, but  there's probably even more.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 05, 2013, 11:23:29 pm »
+1

You have 16 coppers in your discard, and you know you have another Counting House coming up in the next 5 cards, so you only pick up 8 coppers to get a Province next turn. Edge case McEdge-case

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 05, 2013, 11:33:51 pm »

You have 16 coppers in your discard, and you know you have another Counting House coming up in the next 5 cards, so you only pick up 8 coppers to get a Province next turn. Edge case McEdge-case

Don't you discard the 8 you picked up?  So they'll be there the next time you play Counting House as long as you don't shuffle.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 05, 2013, 11:39:51 pm »

Don't you discard the 8 you picked up?  So they'll be there the next time you play Counting House as long as you don't shuffle.
Of course. That was totally dumb.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 06, 2013, 01:12:30 am »

You're going to play Count, trashing your hand, but don't want to trash all Coppers, leaving your economy crippled/Gardens worthless.

Count trashing and Counting House might be contradicting strategies, so let's say you got CH from Swindler.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 139  All

Page created in 1.233 seconds with 21 queries.