Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139  All

Author Topic: Easy Puzzles  (Read 806382 times)

dghunter79

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +319
    • View Profile
Re: Easy Puzzles
« Reply #3425 on: August 02, 2020, 05:20:29 pm »
+1

MORE ENGLISH-LANGUAGE CARD* NAME TRIVIA:

The chemical element whose name appears in the names of the most Dominion cards has a symbol on the periodic table that appears in the name of only one Dominion card.

From memory, (no looking it up on the periodic table or Dominion card lists) name that card.

*Or card-shaped things, as always.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 05:23:05 pm by dghunter79 »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12839
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3426 on: August 02, 2020, 05:36:22 pm »

These Wayfarer solutions are very cute, but my original intended solution is much simpler:

Your solution might be much simpler, but scolapasta's solution is way fairer.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #3427 on: August 02, 2020, 05:51:15 pm »

The chemical element whose name appears in the names of the most Dominion cards has a symbol on the periodic table that appears in the name of only one Dominion card.

From memory, (no looking it up on the periodic table or Dominion card lists) name that card.

Festival?

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #3428 on: August 02, 2020, 07:21:04 pm »

Festival?

Assuming you're thinking Iron (Fe), there's also Ferry.

What about Marauder?/spoiler]
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

dghunter79

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +319
    • View Profile
« Reply #3429 on: August 03, 2020, 04:48:48 am »

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1109
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #3430 on: August 03, 2020, 09:10:38 am »
+1

Festival?
Nope!

What about Marauder?
Nope!

I know what element it is. But I cheated, because, while I knew the name of the element itself, I forgot what was its symbol. Now that I know what the symbol is, I know what the card is as well (without having to look that one up though!)

I can say the answer, but feel bad I had to look up for the symbol for the element I knew was the most common.  :-[
Bottom text

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #3431 on: August 03, 2020, 09:41:36 am »

Tragic hero?

Edit: Never mind, there's also Sea Hag...
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 10:06:41 am by scott_pilgrim »

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4433
    • View Profile
« Reply #3432 on: August 04, 2020, 12:45:18 am »

These Wayfarer solutions are very cute, but my original intended solution is much simpler:

I don't understand what you mean.

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1109
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #3433 on: August 04, 2020, 10:57:37 am »
+3

Festival?
Nope!

What about Marauder?
Nope!

Alright, I'll say what I found. Keep in mind I cheated and had to look at the symbol of the element I suspected was the most common. I did not cheat to know which card it was though. Please do not reveal that answer, there's still people out there who'll want to genuinely find it: it's Snowy Village, for the element of symbol "Sn", Tin. Tin is the most common found set of letters bunched together in Dominion card names.

I don't understand what you mean.

Way fairer... Wayfairer! It's meant to be a pun.  :)
Bottom text

pitythefool

• Thief
  • Respect: +85
    • View Profile
« Reply #3434 on: April 06, 2021, 11:21:45 pm »
+1

Your turns starts, you play a Bustling Village and then three Hagglers.
You now have 6 coins and only 1 buy.
Your task is to gain a Peddler, a Destrier, a Wayfarer, and a Fisherman.

Which one do you buy?

(You may decide the initial state of your discard pile.)

Easy mode:    use all six coins
Hard mode:    use only five coins
Harder mode:  use only two coins

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3435 on: April 06, 2021, 11:53:49 pm »

Your turns starts, you play a Bustling Village and then three Hagglers.
You now have 6 coins and only 1 buy.
Your task is to gain a Peddler, a Destrier, a Wayfarer, and a Fisherman.

Which one do you buy?

(You may decide the initial state of your discard pile.)

Easy mode:    use all six coins
Hard mode:    use only five coins
Harder mode:  use only two coins

Let's see:

Easy: Buy Wayfarer for $6; gain Fisherman @ $5, Destrier @ 4, Peddler @ 0

Hard: Buy Fisherman (non empty discard) for $5; gain Peddler @ $0, Wayfarer @ 0, Destrier @ 3

Harder:  Buy Fisherman (empty discard) for $2 (but is $5 after the gain); gain Peddler @ $0, Wayfarer @ 0, Destrier @ 3

I think the last one works, but I'm assuming that  "cheaper" on Haggler would refer to the cost of Fisherman as $5, and not the $2 you paid; but I couldn't find any reference confirming that it works that way
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

pitythefool

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3436 on: April 07, 2021, 08:38:44 am »

I think the last one works, but I'm assuming ...<snip>..., but I couldn't find any reference confirming that it works that way.
I couldn't find one either, so perhaps it may be considered an implementation choice.  I am basing my solutions on how ShuffleIT implements Haggler, so I guess I should explain how that works.
The price point at which you "Haggle" is not determined when you play the Haggler or when you buy the card, but established when the Haggler effect is processed during the when-buy processing.  The value of the purchased card is re-evaluated at that time.
Also keep in mind that the gaining of a purchased card only happens after all when-buy effects are finished.
Scolapasta, your easy mode solution does not work and although your Destrier pricing is wrong, your hard and harder mode solutions do work.

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3437 on: April 07, 2021, 09:23:05 am »

I think the last one works, but I'm assuming ...<snip>..., but I couldn't find any reference confirming that it works that way.
I couldn't find one either, so perhaps it may be considered an implementation choice.  I am basing my solutions on how ShuffleIT implements Haggler, so I guess I should explain how that works.
The price point at which you "Haggle" is not determined when you play the Haggler or when you buy the card, but established when the Haggler effect is processed during the when-buy processing.  The value of the purchased card is re-evaluated at that time.
Also keep in mind that the gaining of a purchased card only happens after all when-buy effects are finished.
Scolapasta, your easy mode solution does not work and although your Destrier pricing is wrong, your hard and harder mode solutions do work.

Ah, good point about Destrier pricing

So for easy: Just swap Peddler and Destrier then, since you don't drop the price from the bought card

pitythefool

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3438 on: April 07, 2021, 10:42:03 am »

So for easy: Just swap Peddler and Destrier then, since you don't drop the price from the bought card

Still not a solution.
If you gain Peddler, you cannot gain any more from Haggler since the Wayfarer price is now evaluated as zero.

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3439 on: April 07, 2021, 10:48:40 am »

Still not a solution.
If you gain Peddler, you cannot gain any more from Haggler since the Wayfarer price is now evaluated as zero.

Ha! So much for being the easy one:

So I had chosen to start with Wayfarer, because I thought that would sta away from weird Destrier shenangians - instead I got Wayfarer shenangans.

So, then instead: Buy Destrier for $6; gain Fisherman @ $5, Peddler @ 0, Wayfarer @ 0

pitythefool

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3440 on: April 07, 2021, 10:56:03 am »

Still not a solution.

Ha! So much for being the easy one:

So I had chosen to start with Wayfarer, because I thought that would sta away from weird Destrier shenangians - instead I got Wayfarer shenangans.

So, then instead: Buy Destrier for $6; gain Fisherman @ $5, Peddler @ 0, Wayfarer @ 0

Thumbs up.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4433
    • View Profile
« Reply #3441 on: April 19, 2021, 02:49:34 am »

How do you gain a Fortune during your Cleanup phase?

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5138
    • View Profile
« Reply #3442 on: April 19, 2021, 03:45:58 am »
+4

How do you gain a Fortune during your Cleanup phase?
Improve a City Quarter with 7 Highways in play.

There is a more fun way to do this:
Have Hermit in play, no cards bought this turn. Have Innovation. Gain a Madman, play it as Way of the Mouse - Vassal into Tragic Hero.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 03:55:17 am by faust »
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3443 on: March 11, 2022, 07:08:06 am »

Archer edge cases

When choosing what not to reveal, generally you pick the card that you can afford to lose the least (e.g. the only draw, the only village, the trasher, the best Treasure, etc).

In what situations does that not apply? There may be more correct answers than I have in mind.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 07:11:58 am by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5138
    • View Profile
« Reply #3444 on: March 11, 2022, 01:07:19 pm »
+1

Archer edge cases

When choosing what not to reveal, generally you pick the card that you can afford to lose the least (e.g. the only draw, the only village, the trasher, the best Treasure, etc).

In what situations does that not apply? There may be more correct answers than I have in mind.
When the card you can afford to lose the least is Village Green or Faithful Hound or Tunnel. Or maybe Patron.

More generally, there's a lot of mindgame potential in combos. Have Encampment+Gold? Reveal the Encampment, keep the Gold, see if your opponent takes the bait. Similar things hold for Tournament/Province. Or of course the most readily available example, Battle Plan and an Attack card.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 01:10:47 pm by faust »
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3445 on: March 12, 2022, 05:36:46 am »

Archer edge cases

When the card you can afford to lose the least is Village Green or Faithful Hound or Tunnel. Or maybe Patron.

More generally, there's a lot of mindgame potential in combos. Have Encampment+Gold? Reveal the Encampment, keep the Gold, see if your opponent takes the bait. Similar things hold for Tournament/Province. Or of course the most readily available example, Battle Plan and an Attack card.

This includes some answers that I didn't have in mind as well as some that I did, but I also have more answers left in mind.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #3446 on: March 12, 2022, 01:20:24 pm »
+3

I have to admit, when I created this topic 9 years ago (created 13th of March 2013) I had no idea:
  • it would still be alive after 9 years
  • I would return to the forums after a long hiatus to find out it's still alive

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

majiponi

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3447 on: June 09, 2022, 11:10:42 pm »
+1

Playable Kingdom Cards: Chapel, Bandit Camp, Highwayman, Horn of Plenty
Landscapes: none
Starting Cards: 7 Coppers, 3 Estates

Create a deck to gain 8 Provinces in a single turn. (Maybe your opponent can help you.)

BBobb

• Moneylender
  • My brother says thief is amazing.
  • Respect: +138
    • View Profile
« Reply #3448 on: June 10, 2022, 12:03:31 am »
+1

Playable Kingdom Cards: Chapel, Bandit Camp, Highwayman, Horn of Plenty
Landscapes: none
Starting Cards: 7 Coppers, 3 Estates

Create a deck to gain 8 Provinces in a single turn. (Maybe your opponent can help you.)
Not sure the exact number of cards needed, but 8 HoPs, one of copper, gold, silver, chapel, enough Bandit Camps/Highwaymen to draw deck. Opponent plays Highwayman on their turn. You have a bunch of highwaymen in play, so you Draw your whole deck. Then you play bandit camp, highwayman, and chapel, BC and HM many times, then in buy phase first play a spoils, which stays in play because of highwayman. THen play gold, silver, and copper. Then you play 8 HoP, and there are 8 diff cards in play (HoP, highwayman, bandit camp, chapel, spoils, copper, silver, gold), so you gain 8 provinces.

weretheruler

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3449 on: August 11, 2022, 06:44:52 pm »
+1

This came up in a game I played against Lord Rattington recently and I was too busy thrashing him to notice that this was possible until after the game:

Gain the entire Wish pile in a single turn.

I've thought of multiple solutions so I added some "hard modes", which I spoilered to keep from giving hints:
No villages/splitters.
No returning to your action phase. (My kingdom had this + only Trusty Steed as a splitter which is really no splitters.)
No landscapes.
All of the above - I haven't found a way to do this though, I can do any 2 but not all 3.

Bonus puzzle: If there were unlimited copies of wish how many can you gain in a single turn? I can get to 65 given perfect shuffle luck but I bet someone can do better.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 06:46:59 pm by weretheruler »
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139  All

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 20 queries.