Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 139  All

Author Topic: Easy Puzzles  (Read 806399 times)

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
Re: Easy Puzzles
« Reply #3325 on: June 06, 2019, 06:32:04 am »

On my opponent's turn, he played a Village and two Attack cards. I had a Lighthouse which protected me from the first attack, but not the second. What happened?

MeNowDealWithIt

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: MeNowDealWithIt
  • Why does it say "Pearl Diver"
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #3326 on: June 06, 2019, 08:45:59 am »
+5

On my opponent's turn, he played a Village and two Attack cards. I had a Lighthouse which protected me from the first attack, but not the second. What happened?
The first attack was young witch, and lighthouse was the bane.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5138
    • View Profile
« Reply #3327 on: June 06, 2019, 09:41:06 am »
+1

The first attack was Noble Brigand and it revealed a Lighthouse and a non-Treasure and your opponent had Capitalism!
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1775
    • View Profile
« Reply #3328 on: June 11, 2019, 10:32:49 am »

The second attack was Rogue. Rogue gained a Black Market from the trash, played Black Market with Innovation, and bought a Noble Brigand out of the Black Market.  Alternately, substitute Dame Natalie for Rogue!

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10736
    • View Profile
« Reply #3329 on: June 11, 2019, 11:58:27 am »

Mandarin

I may or may not have used regular expressions to solve this.

Ah, I wondered if there were some kind of thing like that.  I checked all the card names one at a time.  (I considered adding the extra challenge of trying to solve it from memory...)

There's actually a FOURTH card, though, that can similarly be completely expressed using the postal abbreviations for US states.  But I doubt any computer program can find this one.

What card am I thinking of?

Did anyone ever solve the fourth card?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #3330 on: June 12, 2019, 08:41:28 pm »

This is the answer I thought of, but I like the alternatives.

dghunter79

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +319
    • View Profile
« Reply #3331 on: June 15, 2019, 07:59:34 pm »

Mandarin

Ah, I wondered if there were some kind of thing like that.  I checked all the card names one at a time.  (I considered adding the extra challenge of trying to solve it from memory...)

There's actually a FOURTH card, though, that can similarly be completely expressed using the postal abbreviations for US states.  But I doubt any computer program can find this one.

ENVY

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #3332 on: June 16, 2019, 07:03:47 am »

I never played Duration cards during my turns, but I start my next turn having 20 cards in play. What has happened?

MiX

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: MiX
  • It's me.
  • Respect: +59
    • View Profile
« Reply #3333 on: June 16, 2019, 07:04:37 am »

I never played Duration cards during my turns, but I start my next turn 20 cards in play. What has happened?

10 Princes?

King Leon

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3334 on: June 16, 2019, 07:07:05 am »

I never played Duration cards during my turns, but I start my next turn 20 cards in play. What has happened?

10 Princes?

Prince sets its card aside, so it is not in play. No, there is another way. Read carefully. Ratcatcher, Guide and Transmogrify also don't count, because they are called at and not before the start of your turn.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 07:17:05 am by King Leon »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12839
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3335 on: June 16, 2019, 07:15:19 am »
+2

I never played Duration cards during my turns, but I start my next turn having 20 cards in play. What has happened?

You played a bunch of Caravan Guards and called a bunch of Royal Carriages on your opponent's turn.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

King Leon

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3336 on: June 16, 2019, 07:17:25 am »

You played a bunch of Caravan Guards and called a bunch of Royal Carriages on your opponent's turn.
Alright! That's it.

King Leon

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3337 on: June 16, 2019, 07:52:55 am »

1. You have 40+ cards in your deck.
2. You start with a hand of 15 cards.
3. You play Storyteller, and you play 2 Golds and a third card.
4. You draw no cards.

What happened?

Crown a King's Courted King's Court to play two Envoys  and a Native Village each three times. The Native Village is needed, because Envoy keeps one card in your deck.

Alternatively, Golem and  Vassal allow pseudo-drawing.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 08:01:47 am by King Leon »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3338 on: June 16, 2019, 11:05:57 am »

Mandarin

ENVY

Explain? I see different parts of it in different states, but no real connection other than every letter appearing somewhere in a state abbreviation.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #3339 on: June 16, 2019, 12:30:40 pm »
+1

Mandarin

ENVY

Explain? I see different parts of it in different states, but no real connection other than every letter appearing somewhere in a state abbreviation.

ENVY = "N - V" = NV

Clever.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #3340 on: July 12, 2019, 07:42:37 pm »

There is more than one way to send a card back into the supply. However, there is a specific way to send a card back to the supply, by gaining it from the trash.

How?
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

bitwise

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +142
    • View Profile
« Reply #3341 on: July 12, 2019, 09:03:48 pm »
+1

Not sure if either of these actually work, but
  • Innovation + Experiment
  • Changeling (gaining a different card)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #3342 on: July 12, 2019, 09:16:34 pm »

Not sure if either of these actually work, but
  • Innovation + Experiment
  • Changeling (gaining a different card)

Those are both correct. The second answer was what I had in mind.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #3343 on: July 18, 2019, 03:27:23 pm »

While my opponent decides what this turn's purchase will be, I realized that the synergy Goons and Worker's Village is probably key to winning this game, but I don't have any Goons, there are no Goons left in the supply, no Goons in the trash, and all of my opponent's Goons are on his Island Mat.  But by the time my opponent is done deciding, I've already realized that's A-OK.  A dozen turns later, I play four Goons in a turn and pile out the Estates for a win.

What happened?

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #3344 on: July 18, 2019, 03:38:22 pm »

While my opponent decides what this turn's purchase will be, I realized that the synergy Goons and Worker's Village is probably key to winning this game, but I don't have any Goons, there are no Goons left in the supply, no Goons in the trash, and all of my opponent's Goons are on his Island Mat.  But by the time my opponent is done deciding, I've already realized that's A-OK.  A dozen turns later, I play four Goons in a turn and pile out the Estates for a win.

What happened?

All those factors would be technically true if Goons was not in the Supply, so:

Goons is available in the Black Market deck.

You buy the only one, then KC the Goons for 3 plays, while calling RC for the fourth.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3345 on: July 18, 2019, 03:43:02 pm »

What happened?

Is it that super weird situation involving Inheritance and Ambassador where you can manage to actually play one of your opponents Estates (while your opponent is Inheriting Goons, thanks to cost reduction).

From this thread.

*Edit* I guess that doesn't actually count for the puzzle, because the Estates you play wouldn't actually be "playing Goons", it would be playing Estates that have the types and abilities of Goons.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 03:48:01 pm by GendoIkari »

math

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: math
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #3346 on: July 18, 2019, 03:50:09 pm »
+1

What happened?

Is it that super weird situation involving Inheritance and Ambassador where you can manage to actually play one of your opponents Estates (while your opponent is Inheriting Goons, thanks to cost reduction).

From this thread.

That doesn't work since you are playing an Estate, which has the abilities and types of Goons but isn't called Goons.  Also, that would mean your opponent has one Goons that isn't on the Island mat - it's the one set aside by Inheritance in the first place.

Edit: Looks like you realized this and edited your post while I was posting.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3347 on: July 18, 2019, 03:50:30 pm »

What happened?

You buy the only one, then KC the Goons for 3 plays, while calling RC for the fourth.

Hmm, if this is correct, then I dislike the puzzle, because it simply comes down to a trickery of "all of my opponent's Goons" actually means "no Goons", because my opponent doesn't have any. Guess what, all of my opponent's Goons are also Victory cards that are on his Tavern Mat, and are worth 100 at game end! It's too much like this: https://xkcd.com/169/.

math

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: math
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #3348 on: July 18, 2019, 03:55:47 pm »

What happened?

Hmm, if this is correct, then I dislike the puzzle, because it simply comes down to a trickery of "all of my opponent's Goons" actually means "no Goons", because my opponent doesn't have any. Guess what, all of my opponent's Goons are also Victory cards that are on his Tavern Mat, and are worth 100 at game end! It's too much like this: https://xkcd.com/169/.

It might be just a matter of preference.  I actually like this kind of vacuous logic, although my math background does play into that as well (often the wording of theorems needs to take into account that edge cases like this exist).

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #3349 on: July 18, 2019, 04:53:11 pm »
+1

What happened?

Indeed, also that's not playing 4 Goons. That's playing 1 Goons 4 times. If you're going to be pedantic at least get it right.
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 139  All

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 20 queries.