Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 139  All

Author Topic: Easy Puzzles  (Read 808401 times)

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
Re: Easy Puzzles
« Reply #2425 on: May 13, 2016, 11:42:15 am »
+3

More of a lame riddle than an easy puzzle, but whatever:

A card walks into a bar, and tells the barman: "+1 Buy; When you play this, double your coins if you haven't yet this turn. When you gain this, gain a Gold per Gladiator you have in play."

What card is that?
One that tends to leave junk on top of your deck, I believe.

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: May 13, 2016, 12:05:31 pm »

No idea if someone has brought this one up before, but I'm also wondering if it was possible pre-Empires: buy a Province on turn 1 in solo.
i'm pretty sure it's impossible? there's no way you can play actions at all, and once you get into the buy phase there isn't a way to play cards that you gain (since buying anything forbids you from playing cards afterwards and no method exists of gaining cards in the buy phase other than buying events/cards) so the only way to increase your money is baker token and borrow i'm pretty sure
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: May 13, 2016, 03:04:12 pm »
+1

Okay, here's my first puzzle:

Your deck contains only schemes and labs. Why do you put only schemes on top of your deck every turn?

If your deck contains only Schemes and Labs, there's little point to putting Labs on top over Schemes, because you'll draw your deck anyway. Things that might give Scheme an edge, other than tokens:

- Scheme is the bane card
- you need to reveal it to your opponent's Gladiator
- you want the expensive Labs to not be in your hand for Chariot Race
- you don't want your opponent to be able to Pillage-discard a Lab (this doesn't really matter if your deck is only Labs and Schemes)
- you know that your opponent will play Enchantress and therefore don't want Lab to be your first action (only really matters if there are tokens on Lab)

Some of those don't work.  For the Bane, you only need a single Scheme.  For Gladiator, you'd want at least one of both Scheme and Lab, not all Schemes.  For Enchantress, you only need one Scheme to get around it.

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1203
    • View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: May 14, 2016, 01:13:06 am »

Your deck contains only schemes and labs. Why do you put only schemes on top of your deck every turn?

If your deck contains only Schemes and Labs, there's little point to putting Labs on top over Schemes, because you'll draw your deck anyway. Things that might give Scheme an edge, other than tokens:

- you don't want your opponent to be able to Pillage-discard a Lab (this doesn't really matter if your deck is only Labs and Schemes)
- you know that your opponent will play Enchantress and therefore don't want Lab to be your first action (only really matters if there are tokens on Lab)

Some of those don't work.  For the Bane, you only need a single Scheme.  For Gladiator, you'd want at least one of both Scheme and Lab, not all Schemes.  For Enchantress, you only need one Scheme to get around it.

You plan on buying Quest after getting 6 cards into your hand. Putting 5-6 Schemes on top of your deck allows you to save the Labs for the following turn, when they can draw your new Gold.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: May 14, 2016, 06:26:55 am »

Well, the puzzle didn't state how many Schemes and Labs there were in your deck. A deck with 1 Scheme and 8 Labs is a deck of "only Schemes and Labs", and for that one my solutions work.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

faust

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2430 on: May 14, 2016, 06:28:16 am »

You plan on buying Quest after getting 6 cards into your hand. Putting 5-6 Schemes on top of your deck allows you to save the Labs for the following turn, when they can draw your new Gold.

Doesn't work if your deck is only Schemes and Labs though.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: May 14, 2016, 07:32:11 am »

Warrior?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2432 on: May 14, 2016, 12:48:58 pm »

Well, the puzzle didn't state how many Schemes and Labs there were in your deck. A deck with 1 Scheme and 8 Labs is a deck of "only Schemes and Labs", and for that one my solutions work.

Ah,  but the Puzzle says you put Schemes (plural!) on top of your deck, which you can't fulfill if you have only 1 Scheme.

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2113
    • View Profile
« Reply #2433 on: May 14, 2016, 12:59:34 pm »

No idea if someone has brought this one up before, but I'm also wondering if it was possible pre-Empires: buy a Province on turn 1 in solo.
i'm pretty sure it's impossible? there's no way you can play actions at all, and once you get into the buy phase there isn't a way to play cards that you gain (since buying anything forbids you from playing cards afterwards and no method exists of gaining cards in the buy phase other than buying events/cards) so the only way to increase your money is baker token and borrow i'm pretty sure

It is possible, I actually made a separate thread for it just before you posted here.

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=15406.0

edit: or are you saying it's impossible pre-Empires? Because I agree with that.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

faust

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: May 15, 2016, 05:35:39 am »
+3

Ah,  but the Puzzle says you put Schemes (plural!) on top of your deck, which you can't fulfill if you have only 1 Scheme.

No; the puzzles says you put "only Schemes" on top, which only means all the cards you put on top are Schemes; a condition that can technically be fulfilled by not putting anything on top of your deck.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: May 16, 2016, 01:43:09 am »
+1

No; the puzzles says you put "only Schemes" on top, which only means all the cards you put on top are Schemes; a condition that can technically be fulfilled by not putting anything on top of your deck.

Fine, I concede.  You win this round!

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #2436 on: May 17, 2016, 07:54:47 am »
+1

Then, the next (I think it's harder):

I start Turn 2 without any cards in my hand. Why is that?

Five opponents go before you and summon the right mix of Cutpurse & Bureaucrat on their turn 1.

okay, technically that's ok, but what if they do not now, what mix is right?

Could you formalize this constraint? Is the person with the soon-to-be-empty hand not allowed to cooperate in any way, and in fact do whatever he can to prevent the empty hand from happening?

Ok, let's try the hard mode:

A group of opposing players (max 5) tries to get your hand empty at the start of your turn 2. They get to pick the kingdom, seating, decide all their own shuffles, and make a plan up front. However, you overhear them making a plan, and you get to try to do whatever you can to spoil their plan (including choosing your own shuffles).

Think of a plan for the group that can't be spoiled. I have a solution, although it requires 3 events.

Edit: now also have a solution with two events.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 12:26:04 pm by -Stef- »
Join the Dominion League!

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +971
    • View Profile
« Reply #2437 on: May 17, 2016, 08:03:39 am »

Then, the next (I think it's harder):

I start Turn 2 without any cards in my hand. Why is that?

Five opponents go before you and summon the right mix of Cutpurse & Bureaucrat on their turn 1.

okay, technically that's ok, but what if they do not now, what mix is right?

Could you formalize this constraint? Is the person with the soon-to-be-empty hand not allowed to cooperate in any way, and in fact do whatever he can to prevent the empty hand from happening?

Ok, let's try the hard mode:

A group of opposing players (max 5) tries to get your hand empty at the start of your turn 2. They get to pick the kingdom, seating, decide all their own shuffles, and make a plan up front. However, you overhear them making a plan, and you get to try to do whatever you can to spoil their plan (including choosing your own shuffles).

Think of a plan for the group that can't be spoiled. I have a solution, although it requires 3 events.

I think events are Borrow, Mission and Summon, I'll try to think about the solution
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: May 18, 2016, 06:34:05 am »

I summoned Death Cart from aside.
What happened in the previous turn?

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #2439 on: May 18, 2016, 11:01:17 am »
+1

Moat                                                               
                                            Moat
      Moat
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #2440 on: May 18, 2016, 12:32:52 pm »

You gained Death Cart through Summon. I'm trying to find out where the puzzle is. If it's the Ruins that are a problem, just have a Watchtower in hand, or a Trader.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: May 18, 2016, 01:28:41 pm »
+1

You gained Death Cart through Summon. I'm trying to find out where the puzzle is. If it's the Ruins that are a problem, just have a Watchtower in hand, or a Trader.

No, neither of those work. Watchtower is too late (the Death cart is already covered up, and thus lost track of by Summon, even if it gets uncovered after that) and while Trader is actually in time to intercept the ruin, it just replaces the problem with a Silver.

You are on the right track with saying Ruins are a problem, but these blue cards aren't the solution.
Join the Dominion League!

Infthitbox

• Explorer
  • Respect: +440
    • View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: May 18, 2016, 01:36:07 pm »
+4

The ruins pile is empty?

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: May 18, 2016, 02:00:38 pm »

No, neither of those work. Watchtower is too late (the Death cart is already covered up, and thus lost track of by Summon, even if it gets uncovered after that) and while Trader is actually in time to intercept the ruin, it just replaces the problem with a Silver.

You are on the right track with saying Ruins are a problem, but these blue cards aren't the solution.

Alright, so can you topdeck Death Cart with Watchtower without any Summon problems? I'm going to say no, though Nomad Camp apparently works just fine.

No Ruins is an answer, but I want to find a potential answer with Ruins.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: May 18, 2016, 02:59:27 pm »
+2

Is it buying Travelling Fair before Summon?

Would this mean you can top deck the two Ruins, enabling Summon to be able to set aside Death Cart?

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #2445 on: May 18, 2016, 04:26:05 pm »

You reveal Trader with an empty Silver pile for the Ruins. Since Trader is a when-would-gain reaction, the Ruins never visit the pile, and since there are no Silvers left, Death Cart is never covered up.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: May 18, 2016, 04:31:48 pm »
+1

Is it buying Travelling Fair before Summon?

Would this mean you can top deck the two Ruins, enabling Summon to be able to set aside Death Cart?

I don't think so. Travelling Fair doesn't stop gained cards from visiting the discard pile.

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #2447 on: May 25, 2016, 07:32:34 pm »
+1

The ruins pile is empty?
You reveal Trader with an empty Silver pile for the Ruins. Since Trader is a when-would-gain reaction, the Ruins never visit the pile, and since there are no Silvers left, Death Cart is never covered up.
Great!

Another quiz. Mr. Hirotashi first posted in twitter.

Discard your Wine Merchant from play.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 07:33:37 pm by majiponi »

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: May 25, 2016, 08:05:58 pm »
+3

Another quiz. Mr. Hirotashi first posted in twitter.

Discard your Wine Merchant from play.

Enchantress

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: May 25, 2016, 08:12:38 pm »

I love it. Simple, elegant puzzle, but incredibly hard to solve at first glance.

I'm tempted to say BoM as Wine Merchant, but I don't think that works.

PPE: 1

That's it. Brilliant solution.
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 139  All

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 20 queries.