Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 139  All

Author Topic: Easy Puzzles  (Read 806444 times)

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
Easy Puzzles
« on: March 13, 2013, 11:55:50 am »
+6

I often think about some easy puzzles that don't warrant their own topic, so might as well create a catch-all topic for them.

Rules
  • DON'T use Spoiler Tags these ones, just post the answer
  • If you're sure you got the right answer, feel free to post the next puzzle or PASS to let someone else post one
  • Default: 2 player game, Normal Turn = No durations, Possession or Outpost turn, it's a normal turn and start with 5 cards

I'll start.

No durations, Possession or Outpost turn, it's a normal turn and I start with the following 5 cards.
In my hand I hold Secret Chamber, 3 Coppers and one other card.
I choose to play Secret Chamber and discard those 3 Coppers and of course have a tactical reason for doing this.
Nothing happens to the Coppers after I've discarded them, they are neither trashed nor put on top of my deck, they're not moved at all. Nothing would have happened to them if I hadn't discarded them with SC, they would have simply been discarded during clean-up.
Grand Market is not in the supply.

If not just for kicks and giggles, why would I discard 3 Coppers for $3 this way?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 04:20:59 am by Davio »

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
Re: Easy Puzzles
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 11:59:59 am »

the last card is silver/royal seal, and you plan to buy a mandarin and don't want to top-deck coppers

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10736
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 12:05:18 pm »

the last card is silver/royal seal, and you plan to buy a mandarin and don't want to top-deck coppers

Was about to answer that, but he said nothing would have happened to the coppers if they hadn't been discarded to SC; they would have just been discarded during cleanup anyway.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 12:08:48 pm »
+1

I don't know, but if you had just 1 more money available I'd have a really fun solution:

Last card in hand is Watchtower.
You buy a Rats, trashing it with Watchtower, to draw a card.
Your draw pile was empty and so this causes you to reshuffle, shuffling all your Coppers back in your draw pile.
You had some reason for wanting lots of Coppers in your draw pile (Coppersmith strategy; Duchy strategy, etc).
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 12:16:05 pm »

Your rule about "nothing happens to the coppers after they are discarded" is a little ambiguous. Do you mean only immediately after they are discarded? Or they don't move at all for the entire turn? If the former, then the answer is that the last card was Loan.

chester

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +21
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 12:20:14 pm »
+4

Philosopher's Stone

PASS for now, though.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 12:25:15 pm »

Philosopher's Stone

PASS for now, though.

*HEADSMACK*

Yeah, that was easy, in retrospect.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 12:52:23 pm »

I like this idea, can we get some parameters down (To be editited in the first page)

i.e:  Normal Turn = No durations, Possession or Outpost turn, it's a normal turn and start with the 5 cards
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

chester

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 05:12:08 pm »

2 player game; no possession; no durations; 5 card hands; normal turn.

In my action phase, I play a single action card.  By the time it's resolved, 15 cards have been gained.  How?

Side puzzle: 15 was the best I could do.  Is it possible to do better?

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 05:16:18 pm »
+1

Hand is Golem, KC3, Beggar1-3

Golem -> KC1, KC2

KC1 -> Beggar1 (gain 9 copper)
KC2 -> KC3 -> Beggar2, Beggar3. (Gain 18 copper)

For 27 cards
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 05:17:29 pm by Axxle »
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

chester

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 05:23:00 pm »

Hand is Golem, KC3, Beggar1-3

Golem -> KC1, KC2

KC1 -> Beggar1 (gain 9 copper)
KC2 -> KC3 -> Beggar2, Beggar3. (Gain 18 copper)

For 27 cards

I meant to disqualify cards like Golem and KC with the wording "play a single action card", but I guess that could have been worded better.   

Anyway, 15 is possible with only a single action card being played.

cluckyb

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 05:28:15 pm »
+2

I can do 2018. Your hand is four Market Squares and a Rebuild. Play the Rebuild, name Tunnel. Hit all 108 Tunnels and then a Duchy. 108 gold from the Tunnels, 4 from discarding Market Squares upon trashing the Duchy. You gain the province, The other player gains 5 gold from trashing his hand full of Fool's Gold in reaction to your province on-gain.

If you trash a Feodum instead of a duchy, you can't get a province but you can gain 16 cards all by yourself instead of letting the other player gain some of them. That one also gets 15 net cards gained.

------

Another puzzle I just thought of:

2 player game. You are up by 1 on your turn and there is only a single province remaining and you have $8 yet if you buy it you'll lose. Why?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 05:37:36 pm by cluckyb »

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 05:33:28 pm »
+3

In my action phase, I play a single action card.  By the time it's resolved, 15 cards have been gained.  How?

All 14 Estates have been Ambassadored back into the supply (thanks to Lighthouse).

Play Black Market, playing Platinum, Venture (revealing Philosopher's Stone), and Horn of Plenty. Horn of Plenty gains a Cultist, which is trashed to my revealed Watchtower, drawing 3 cards. I play a Copper, Counterfeit a Horn of Plenty, gaining 2 Border Villages, and gaining and trashing 2 Cultists. I do that 3 more times, and play a Copper. I have 5 Horns of Plenty in my hand, a Watchtower, 6 Counterfeits, and 4 other cards. I Counterfeit 2 Horns of Plenty, gaining and trashing 4 Hunting Grounds for 12 Estates. I Counterfeit 3 Horns of Plenty to gain 6 Catacombs (2 with Border Villages first), trashing for 6 Squires, trashing for 6 Familiars. I then buy a Scout from the Black Market deck.

I gained 9 Cultists, 10 Border Villages, 12 Estates, 4 Hunting Grounds, 6 Catacombs, 6 Squires, 6 Familiars, and a Scout, for a total of 53 cards gained from playing a single Action card.

EDIT: Crap, I have to fit in Market Squares and Tunnels in there too. Also, Catacombs should gain Feodums to trash for Silver.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2013, 05:33:40 pm »

I can do 20. Your hand is four Market Squares and a Rebuild. Play the Rebuild, name Tunnel. Hit all 10 Tunnels and then a Duchy. 10 gold from the Tunnels, 4 from discarding Market Squares upon trashing the Duchy. You gain the province, The other player gains 5 gold from trashing his hand full of Fool's Gold in reaction to your province on-gain.

If you trash a Feodum instead of a duchy, you can't get a province but you can gain 18 cards all by yourself instead of letting the other player gain some of them. That one also gets 17 net cards gained.

10 Tunnels?  There are only 8 in a 2 player game.
Well you *do* need a signature...

cluckyb

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 05:36:03 pm »

I can do 20. Your hand is four Market Squares and a Rebuild. Play the Rebuild, name Tunnel. Hit all 10 Tunnels and then a Duchy. 10 gold from the Tunnels, 4 from discarding Market Squares upon trashing the Duchy. You gain the province, The other player gains 5 gold from trashing his hand full of Fool's Gold in reaction to your province on-gain.

If you trash a Feodum instead of a duchy, you can't get a province but you can gain 18 cards all by yourself instead of letting the other player gain some of them. That one also gets 17 net cards gained.

10 Tunnels?  There are only 8 in a 2 player game.

Oh right Tunnel is a victory cards haha. Still 18 > 15. Though that does mean only 15 cards net gained.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2013, 05:37:22 pm »

All 14 Estates have been Ambassadored back into the supply (thanks to Lighthouse).

Play Black Market, playing Platinum, Venture (revealing Philosopher's Stone), and Horn of Plenty. Horn of Plenty gains a Cultist, which is trashed to my revealed Watchtower, drawing 3 cards. I play a Copper, Counterfeit a Horn of Plenty, gaining 2 Border Villages, and gaining and trashing 2 Cultists. I do that 3 more times, and play a Copper. I have 5 Horns of Plenty in my hand, a Watchtower, 6 Counterfeits, and 4 other cards. I Counterfeit 2 Horns of Plenty, gaining and trashing 4 Hunting Grounds for 12 Estates. I Counterfeit 3 Horns of Plenty to gain 6 Catacombs (2 with Border Villages first), trashing for 6 Squires, trashing for 6 Familiars. I then buy a Scout from the Black Market deck.

I gained 9 Cultists, 10 Border Villages, 12 Estates, 4 Hunting Grounds, 6 Catacombs, 6 Squires, 6 Familiars, and a Scout, for a total of 53 cards gained from playing a single Action card.

EDIT: Crap, I have to fit in Market Squares and Tunnels in there too. Also, Catacombs should gain Feodums to trash for Silver.

I like the Scout and all, but you'd squeeze out a bit more by buying a Death Cart instead. 

EDIT:  In fact, you could gain Death Carts from trashing Catacombs.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 05:39:45 pm by SirPeebles »

chester

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2013, 05:37:40 pm »

I can do 20. ... Hit all 10 Tunnels

There are only 8 tunnels, but yeah, still that's better than mine.  I had [Dame Natalie, Watchtower, 3 Market Square].  Opponent trashes a Hunting Grounds (gaining three estates), flips a Tunnel (gaining 1 gold), and discards 5 Market Squares (5 more gold).   You gain Squire (trash with WT), Gain Sir Vander (trash with WT, gain gold), and discard 3 MS (3 more gold).

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4433
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2013, 05:38:49 pm »

I've got exactly 15!

Hand is Black Market, 2 Ventures, 2 Horns of Plenty.
Play Black Market.
Play Venture, playing Venture, playing Counterfeit, playing Horn of Plenty. Gain 2 Death Carts, 4 Ruins.
Play the other Venture; same thing happens.
Buy Border Village, gain Duke, gain Duchess.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2013, 05:42:16 pm »

2 player game. You are up by 1 on your turn and there is only a single province remaining and you have $8 yet if you buy it you'll lose. Why?
your opponent has at least two fool's golds, (at least one in hand), 3 fairgrounds, 14 unique cards, and 0 golds. they will trash a fool's gold and gain a gold, giving him 6 extra points from fairgrounds.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2013, 05:42:43 pm »

I like the Scout and all, but you'd squeeze out a bit more by buying a Death Cart instead. 

EDIT:  In fact, you could gain Death Carts from trashing Catacombs.

Gaining Feoda and trashing them for silver is one card better than death cart.

chester

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2013, 05:46:24 pm »
+2

your opponent has at least two fool's golds, (at least one in hand), 3 fairgrounds, 14 unique cards, and 0 golds. they will trash a fool's gold and gain a gold, giving him 6 extra points from fairgrounds.

Or all the embargoes are on provinces.

cluckyb

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2013, 05:52:37 pm »

Or all the embargoes are on provinces.

didn't think about that. Wow Trader is a really excellent Embargo counter...

Using FG to power Feodum/Fairgrounds could provide something like a 34 point swing if you played enough council rooms during your turn. So that would make the maximal swing in their favor 44 though at that point you're probably not winning to begin with.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2013, 06:00:10 pm »

FG can't power feodum... so it's just an 26 point swing. 8fairgrounds*2points=16, and then 10 from embargoes.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2013, 06:13:44 pm »

Fool's Gold could power Feoda if your opponent has a Trader in hand.  Also, it can be powering up Gardens at the same time.  So I'd go with a hand of Trader + 4 Fool's Golds.  Then you'd gain 4 Silvers.  This can give you a 8 + 16 + 16 = 40 point swing.  Then another 10 points from Embargoes to give a 50 point swing.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2013, 06:17:31 pm »

good point. however, you can only power feodum once, because for you to power fairground you can't have had any silver before then. you also can't power gardens because you don't actually gain any cards net. (you trash the FG)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 139  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 20 queries.