Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Don't Play Everything!  (Read 12098 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Don't Play Everything!
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2013, 04:14:43 pm »
+2

Another thing is to keep an eye on your cost reduction. If you play your last Highway and suddenly find you can't Upgrade your Bank into a needed Province because they both cost zero, you're going to feel pretty stupid.
You're also going to feel pretty stupid if you're Upgrading a 0-cost Bank into a Province.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2013, 10:27:06 am »

Another thing is to keep an eye on your cost reduction. If you play your last Highway and suddenly find you can't Upgrade your Bank into a needed Province because they both cost zero, you're going to feel pretty stupid. There are lots of little interactions like that.

Good point, bad example. Makes more sense to talk about a missed opportunity to upgrade Copper into Province at that point, if you're playing 7-8 Highways on a turn. Upgrading Banks into Provinces is a terrible use of a Highway board.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

KingsSkort

• Thief
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2013, 11:53:14 am »

Another thing is to keep an eye on your cost reduction. If you play your last Highway and suddenly find you can't Upgrade your Bank into a needed Province because they both cost zero, you're going to feel pretty stupid. There are lots of little interactions like that.

Good point, bad example. Makes more sense to talk about a missed opportunity to upgrade Copper into Province at that point, if you're playing 7-8 Highways on a turn. Upgrading Banks into Provinces is a terrible use of a Highway board.

I don't know if this is right. The only reason to have Bank in a Highway/Upgrade deck in the first place is that you upgraded a copper to it on a 6 Hwy turn so you could upgrade it to a province later.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2013, 12:41:59 pm »

I don't know if this is right. The only reason to have Bank in a Highway/Upgrade deck in the first place is that you upgraded a copper to it on a 6 Hwy turn so you could upgrade it to a province later.

I suppose that's true, upgrading to a Bank isn't terrible for that reason. It's just that the fact that Bank can be upgraded to Province normally means that the particular example means you were less likely to be playing a bunch of Highways before your Upgrade. If it has said Copper to Province instead, then it's a situation where you're much more likely to accidentally play too many Highways.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2013, 04:23:59 pm »

Just played a game that highlights this - if you already have 8 in hand with no +Buy, don't play your Venture.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2013, 05:03:16 pm »

Just played a game that highlights this - if you already have 8 in hand with no +Buy, don't play your Venture.
Well, I wouldn't use it as a rule of thumb, but it's generally a good idea to delay shuffling in the greening stage.

But this is a good case where deck tracking helps a lot. If you have a lot of green cards coming up, by all means try to skip them. If a Gold is about to show, don't do it.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

PitzerMike

• Young Witch
  • Longtime Pearldiver
  • Respect: +110
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2013, 10:38:22 am »

Good topic, I think the title could be better though.
Also a good example for helping your opponent directly is Margraves. Specifically against a BM deck that is geared towards single-province turns.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2013, 10:44:19 am »

Good topic, I think the title could be better though.
Also a good example for helping your opponent directly is Margraves. Specifically against a BM deck that is geared towards single-province turns.
I agree, I mean to revise the topic, but I simply hadn't had the time yet.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2013, 07:05:00 am »
+1

This was a bit hilarious:

RTT

• Minion
  • Respect: +707
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2013, 01:21:11 pm »
+1

had to think about this topic in my last match.

I allready had 8$ in hand to buy the last province but autoclicked the rebuild wich trashed a duchy for it what gave me like -3 VP

in total -2VP cause i could buy an estate still (duchys were gone too)

I thought that lost me tha game but luckyly i still had a few points more. but -2VP in the last turn can easily make the difference.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2013, 03:01:44 pm »

I think Watchtower deserves a special mention in this article. Not only is the reaction ability useful in your buy phase when the card isn't played, but if you're trying to get good Watchtower coverage for defense against a curser, I've found it's better to not play the Watchtowers more often than it is to play them. This, coupled with careful deck tracking (both you and your opponent) turns Watchtower-based defense from a luck-fest into an actual solid strategy.

$3 and a Watchtower in hand? Top-deck a WT for next turn! Knowing if your opponent has seen their curser this shuffle yet, or how many WTs are left in your draw/discard, or where you are in your shuffle are also factors that weigh into this.

...and I wouldn't have even thought of this if it weren't for WW's commentary on his videos. So many tactical insights there that have really improved my game.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2013, 04:58:38 pm »

$3 and a Watchtower in hand? Top-deck a WT for next turn! Knowing if your opponent has seen their curser this shuffle yet, or how many WTs are left in your draw/discard, or where you are in your shuffle are also factors that weigh into this.

This may be a trap, though, as topdecking Watchtowers consecutively also means that you are passing up on cards that could provide $.

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2013, 03:06:31 am »

This may be a trap, though, as topdecking Watchtowers consecutively also means that you are passing up on cards that could provide $.

As well as overloading on terminals. (And if you intend to always use them to topdeck, and aren't playing any other engine pieces, then suddenly you're playing 4-card hands.)

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2013, 07:43:01 am »

As well as overloading on terminals. (And if you intend to always use them to topdeck, and aren't playing any other engine pieces, then suddenly you're playing 4-card hands.)

This is why I've added this caveat.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.