Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Islands, or something.  (Read 1251 times)

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
Islands, or something.
« on: March 12, 2013, 03:00:59 pm »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201303/12/game-20130312-115905-9cb5a1da.html

Every time I buy Islands mindlessly like that, it doesn't work, and every time my opponent does, it seems to. What gives?

How come I'm not able to set up the engine effectively later, even though my economy should be much stronger?

Why isn't my trashing faster than his with the Steward? And why does it take forever to line up TMs despite that trashing?

cluckyb

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
Re: Islands, or something.
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 03:15:27 pm »

1) Your treasure maps match on the third reshuffle after getting both. Doesn't seem that unlikely

2) His economy doesn't need gold. Its thin enough that FV/WT lets him draw his deck and hit 8 each turn which is all it needs to do. No extra buy, and the components were all cheap so he didn't need a strong economy in the first place to build it.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 03:26:46 pm »

There is actually a small synergy between FV, Watchtower, and Island here because Island is kind of like a TfB card. I doubt that is very relevant; just feel like pointing it out.

More importantly, your strategy was inadequate. There is absolutely no need for Treasure Maps on this board with the FV-Watchtower combo, a massive surplus of +action, and a spammable +buy. The 4 $-producing terminals in this kingdom all fit into such a strategy and Steward can even be used as mid-turn trashing.

It's difficult to criticize the rest of your play when your deck development was set back by trying to collide TMs. One other consideration is that, especially with your opponent not trashing very quickly (since he did not open Steward), I think that you should prioritize trashing with Steward over getting and playing Mountebanks until you can get to the point where you may even be able to play multiple Mountebanks every turn.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 03:40:41 pm »

Islands can be a good opening purchase when you can see some of these signs

(1) the island will be out the deck before you shuffle in another terminal
(2) the deck will be better for being one card lighter
(3) there are no other appropriate trashing cards
(4) two points may be a good tiebreaker at the end of game
(5) you don't mind losing early tempo (to reach 5 coins quickly)

None of those particularly apply here. By turn 4 you want to be have mountebanks and watchtowers but an island opening doesn't deliver that.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 20 queries.