Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dominnovation Strategy Forums?  (Read 4755 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Dominnovation Strategy Forums?
« on: March 11, 2013, 06:37:30 pm »

With dougz putting Innovation up on isotropic, it seems the Venn diagram of the games' userbases is getting a bigger and bigger middle.  Would it be worth it to try putting in a full subforum for Innovation topics, rather than just a small one under "Other Board Games"?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Re: Dominnovation Strategy Forums?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 07:03:47 pm »

I wish the innovation subforum was active enough to justify that, but it doesn't seem to be. 

Maybe it will get a huge spike in activity when isodominion goes down though.

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 07:04:07 pm »

Too bad innovationStrategy.com is being squated on.
IS.net is available for $600...

Or DominionStrategy.com/innovationStrategy ??

Ed

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 10:58:06 pm »

eh, just ignore the innovation board if it bothers you that much
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 11:08:15 pm »

eh, just ignore the innovation board if it bothers you that much

I think his intent was exactly the opposite.  Innovation is kind of relegated to a ghetto right now.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 11:10:18 pm »
+1

Ed
As I write this, innovationtactics.com is available. :)

ednever

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 11:35:16 pm »

Ed

Interesting. Especially given that it's a far more tactical (and less strategic) game than Dominion...

Ed

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 12:14:40 am »
+1

Ed

Interesting. Especially given that it's a far more tactical (and less strategic) game than Dominion...

Ed

Yeah, it's less of a "I will do THIS with this setup" kind of game and more of a "fuck what do I do now fuck" sort of game.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 10:31:12 am »
+1

It feels weird to have multiple games on the dominionstrategy.com name.  This was the same problem I ran into with TS -- are you going to tell people interested in Twilight Struggle to go to Dominion Strategy?

One possibility is to rename this forum into boardgamestrategy.com or whatever, then all of the Dominion stuff goes under the Dominion category, and all the Innovation stuff goes under an Innovation category.

I welcome other suggestions as well.

ednever

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 11:03:07 am »
+10

Theory: as someone who has run Internet brands in multiple businesses, some thoughts:
1- whatever you choose, don't lose a brand. You've created an incredible brand with DominionStrategy.com. You are easy to find on Google (especially with all the content generated from the form). And I'll bet you have a ton of direct type-in traffic. It's not worth losing by changing the name. Building a brand is a combination of a lot of work, time, and not a small amount of luck. Don't give it up voluntarily.

2- No reason you couldn't build out something like BoardGameStrategy.com. It could be done a few ways:
a- it could just be a dis-aggregation site. The homepage could just have three links: to DS.com, TS.com, IT.com.
b- it could be a hub for everything. Create a feed of the content for. The other three sites (just excerpts of articles with the ability to click through. You don't want to confuse google with duplicate content)
c- I don't know how successful TS.com is. If its not doing awesome the way DS is, you could roll it and an IT into it, but keep DS.com as a separate site.
d- you can always treat DS.com as the brand and grow it away from just Dominon.  You are right that it could hurt new visitors who are interested in other games. It's always a trade-off with descriptive brands - but not a reason to abandon the brand (hotels.com is a good example)
e- if you make the look and feel seemless you might be able to get the best of both worlds. Imagine if you had bgs.com with the three links. When you clicked on one you were brought to say DS.com. But the top mastication bar and the colors stay the same. You can easily click over to TS.com, etc. but you are still sitting on the domain name, DS.com. )same for the other sites). The forum is a little more complicated, but you can just set the child boards to take you to the other sites forums. Or live with the fact that all the forums are sitting on DS.com.
The advantage of the latter is that the link equity you have build with f.dS.com can help the other brands get started. You definitely don't want to move the F.DS though. A re-direct will hurt your page rank equity significantly.

Hope that's helpful.

If you ever want to chat about it , let me know. I live this stuff everyday.

Ed

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 11:18:01 am »
+5

But the top mastication bar and the colors stay the same.

I love autocorrect some days.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

hsiale

• Duke
  • Respect: +244
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 03:19:45 pm »
+1

I like the idea of a hub page. BGG has a huge database with lots of resources, but for me it lacks some depth. I feel it's a site for game collectors, who play very many different games but rarely get into one deep enough to learn to play it competitively. A place devoted to exploring boardgames strategy could be really useful, starting with a few games and adding further ones if there is sufficient number of people interested in a particular game.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 04:10:30 pm »
+1

Also, I agree with Ed's idea of several domains but one seamless look, and a mastication bar.  Something like what curse.com does with their various sites.

(Sorry, Ed, I'm going to toss that back at you a few times.)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2013, 05:13:15 pm »

I like the idea of a hub page. BGG has a huge database with lots of resources, but for me it lacks some depth. I feel it's a site for game collectors, who play very many different games but rarely get into one deep enough to learn to play it competitively. A place devoted to exploring boardgames strategy could be really useful, starting with a few games and adding further ones if there is sufficient number of people interested in a particular game.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.