Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Crazy IRL game  (Read 1843 times)

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
Crazy IRL game
« on: March 11, 2013, 07:26:09 am »
+1

I played a game IRL at the weekend with the following kingdom:

Ambassador, Scheme, Death Cart, Procession, Salvager, Sea Hag, Band of Misfits, Tactician, Adventurer, King's Court

How would you play this?
At first it seemed pretty obvious what to do here and it basically is, but ...

there is a neat trick you can do which makes some cards that seems skippable at first really interesting. Do you know what I have in mind?

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
Re: Crazy IRL game
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 07:34:46 am »

The only thing I can think of is that Adventurer is a key step in a Procession sequence?
Also, Procession works great on Death Cart (or BoM as Death Cart) if you're going to trash it anyway.

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 02:26:36 pm »
+3

Alright.

So, Ambassador and Scheme is the obvious opening with Sea Hag on the board. And you really want to get KCs as fast as possible to setup KC+Scheme.
So far, so easy. But then you realize that with Sea Hag and Ambassador - two attacks that are very strong, but may be dead soon - Band of Misfits is really strong here. You can play BoM as Scheme or Ambassador. Also there is Procession which can be very useful but while you still have junk in your deck you may draw it with no action card in hand. Another reason why BoM is very strong here. Still, the big problem is to get to KCs. As Jimmmmm pointed out playing Procession on BoM is really strong too. You can attack twice with Ambassador and then you get an Adventurer. Why is this good? When you can play Procession (or BoM) on Adventurer you get a KC and draw 4 Treasure cards which gives you a second KC very likely. When you have setup your KC-Scheme chain you can do more crazy stuff. You could then easily use BoM as Sea Hag to slow down your opponents even more. A Tactician may come in handy because you could play BoM as Salvager before you play Tactician to trash rest of your stuff. Procession Death Carts is also pretty nice. It gives you $10 and with one Salvager played you don't mind that you have to trash a Death Cart, just buy a new one. Basically every card is useful here and this is a really cool board in my opinion.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 07:17:00 am by Qvist »

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 08:26:29 pm »

An example of how DA really makes the game mind bending at times.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 10:50:50 pm »

With or without Shelters? That makes a rather huge consideration.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 11:04:45 pm »

The main problem I see here is consistently hitting $5 if your opponents decide to go for the obvious move.  I guess perhaps early Death Carts; Silver/Salvager or Silver/Silver just wouldn't seem to cut it here without luck.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 11:42:46 pm »

Do you actually need to hit $5 that often? The drawing in this kingdom is pretty inadequate, so you can't do a whole lot with a bunch of BoMs. The two routes I see here involve KC-Scheme and/or double Tactician with either Procession-DC or KC-DC (or in the latter case, KC-BoM as DC). Maybe I am wrong, though, because I can't do anything but conjecture about DA cards. You might want to hit $5 for Tactician before you want a BoM.

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 04:09:22 am »

With or without Shelters? That makes a rather huge consideration.
Without

The main problem I see here is consistently hitting $5 if your opponents decide to go for the obvious move.  I guess perhaps early Death Carts; Silver/Salvager or Silver/Silver just wouldn't seem to cut it here without luck.
Do you actually need to hit $5 that often? The drawing in this kingdom is pretty inadequate, so you can't do a whole lot with a bunch of BoMs. The two routes I see here involve KC-Scheme and/or double Tactician with either Procession-DC or KC-DC (or in the latter case, KC-BoM as DC). Maybe I am wrong, though, because I can't do anything but conjecture about DA cards. You might want to hit $5 for Tactician before you want a BoM.
I opened Ambassador/Scheme, but then got 2 Silvers later. But after that you don't need really more treasures. It's great if you get to $5 here, but I guess winning the Ambassador war is way more important. I actually didn't pick up a Tactician until I setup the KC+Scheme, that was maybe a mistake, but I really had no time for that.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 20 queries.