Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Rules Question: What happens on a tie?  (Read 5038 times)

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
Rules Question: What happens on a tie?
« on: March 10, 2013, 06:35:02 pm »

Is there a tie-breaker in Innovation.

Here was the game it came up:
http://innovation.isotropic.org/gamelog/201303/10/game-20130310-152812-be6a9f87.html

On turn 12 I had the option of playing melding Bio-engineering and then using it's dogma. If I had I would have taken my opponent down 1-2 leafs. He would have been tied with me for leafs at 2 I believe.

Bioengineering says:
If any player has less than 3 leaf icons, the single player with the most leaf icons on their board wins.

So the first condition would be met. But what if there isn't a 'single' player? Does that mean the game just keeps going?

Completely different hypothetical:
What about the situation where someone is forced to draw an '11'. Then the game ends and the player with the highest score wins (right? Or is it most achievements?). Either way it's possible for two or more people to have a tie for # achievements and/or score. Who wins?

Another one:
Someone does something which causes both themselves and another player to get an achievement (through sharing say). Then they both hit the # of achievements they need to win. I assume score is the tie-breaker? But what if it's a tie on score?

Any other scenarios?

Ed

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Re: Rules Question: What happens on a tie?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 06:48:24 pm »

Is there a tie-breaker in Innovation.

Here was the game it came up:
http://innovation.isotropic.org/gamelog/201303/10/game-20130310-152812-be6a9f87.html

On turn 12 I had the option of playing melding Bio-engineering and then using it's dogma. If I had I would have taken my opponent down 1-2 leafs. He would have been tied with me for leafs at 2 I believe.

Bioengineering says:
If any player has less than 3 leaf icons, the single player with the most leaf icons on their board wins.

So the first condition would be met. But what if there isn't a 'single' player? Does that mean the game just keeps going?
This is just one of those golden rule things, if you can't follow an instruction, you ignore it entirely.  There is no single player with the most leafs, so the nonexistent player can't win.
Completely different hypothetical:
What about the situation where someone is forced to draw an '11'. Then the game ends and the player with the highest score wins (right? Or is it most achievements?). Either way it's possible for two or more people to have a tie for # achievements and/or score. Who wins?
When an eleven is drawn, the player with the highest score wins.  In the case of a tie, tie goes to the player with the most achievements.  If it's still tied at that point, it's a draw (though IMO it would be better design for it to be a loss for the player who activated the dogma causing this, like a pokemon selfdestruct rule, but it is the way it is.)
Another one:
Someone does something which causes both themselves and another player to get an achievement (through sharing say). Then they both hit the # of achievements they need to win. I assume score is the tie-breaker? But what if it's a tie on score?

Any other scenarios?

Ed
Special achievements are claimed immediately with a capital I.  Since your opponent resolves a shared dogma effect before you resolve that effect, he will get special achievements first.  So if you share Industrialization and it makes your opponent get Monument, he will instantly win the game before you can tuck cards to get Empire.

The most ambiguous rules issue to my knowledge is stalemates.  It might be covered in an FAQ somewhere though.

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 07:27:32 am »

When an eleven is drawn, the player with the highest score wins.  In the case of a tie, tie goes to the player with the most achievements.  If it's still tied at that point, it's a draw (though IMO it would be better design for it to be a loss for the player who activated the dogma causing this, like a pokemon selfdestruct rule, but it is the way it is.)

damn, wish i had read this before trying to end a game with a 0-0 draw earlier (when opponent had monument) :(
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

ksasaki

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +33
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 12:03:21 pm »

Has anyone ever actually registered a tie on isotropic?  If so, could I see a screencapture?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 02:42:00 pm »

There are ties in the aggregate statistics for all games played.  It was a single digit number, I think, though.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 20 queries.