Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Going over my losses  (Read 7447 times)

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
Re: Going over my losses
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2011, 02:21:34 am »

Here is a great article about Silver:

http://dominionstrategy.com/2011/01/17/beyond-silver/

Epoch

• Tactician
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2011, 01:58:23 pm »

Is there an old discussion thread somewhere maybe that discusses silver? I tend to buy silver on Turn 1 or 2 if I'm not sure what other cards will benefit me, and again on Turn 3/4/5 if I have $3 with nothing pressing in the 2/3$ slots. I assume you can't put off buying silver too late, even if you get some $2 terminals, and my first impulse if I open with non-silvers is to get a silver or two. Or maybe I should look through the councilroom openings lists as consideration for which cards may be important enough to delay silver...

Basically, in terms of Silver, you want to look at what your strategy is.

If it's a modified Big Money strategy in a Province game, you can't really go wrong buying Silver.

If you're buying some kind of Action-heavy strategy, you want to look at what Actions you need to get, and how much buying power those Actions will provide before your deck comes together.  If they're $5 (or more), then you'll probably want a few Silvers, quickly.  If the ones you want to buy a LOT of are $4 or less, you'll probably want only 1 or 2 Silvers.  You can get away with fewer Silvers if your Actions provide you with some buying power.

You want to remember that it's very possible to sink any cards/action engine (whether single-card like Lab or multi-card like Village/Smithy) by buying lots of Silver.  You're almost always going to have the opportunity to buy Silver, almost every turn.  You can really inflate your deck quite quickly with it, and if you're trying to chain together +cards actions, it'll be easy to draw a bunch of Silver (and opening cards) instead.

Silver is worse in Colony games and better in Province games.  It's better in games where you aren't going to try to chain together mega-buys. 

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2011, 08:35:54 pm »

I tend to focus on a small set of cards, generally getting multiple copies, and recently I've been noticing that maybe I've been getting too many to the point where I'm falling behind my opponent in getting other critical cards and then simply being a step behind in the province race afterwards.

Actually, in a few of your games you doing ok and then seemed to jump onto your opponent's strategies rather than keep your own deck on an even keel. A few times you bought hamlets because other people were doing nice things with them, when your deck would have performed better without the hamlets but with gold and silver. Generally, if you've started with a money strategy then it's quite difficult to shift to an action strategy, not least because your deck will be too big for actions to get played very often. You're looking for actions to help you in the endgame rather than something that helped your opponent in the mid game.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.