Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: d/l of isotropic to run locally?  (Read 8428 times)

plank

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
d/l of isotropic to run locally?
« on: March 07, 2013, 10:13:45 am »

I'd like to know if it is possible to download the "isotropic" code, so I can run it locally.  Basically, if I'm playing with friends or my kids, we prefer tapping buttons to shuffling decks.

This is a straightforward question - I don't want to get "legality" answers, I just want the download (and would be willing to pay a nominal price).

I would also suggest two improvements:
- an engine to add new cards of your own creation
- an "undo" feature during play

Thanks, plank

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
Re: d/l of isotropic to run locally?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 10:23:25 am »
+1

this is probably as much as dougz is willing to share, see also here

Spoiler: That's just the earliest server code, nothing Dominion-related in it...

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 10:28:54 am »
+4

Quote from: Isotropic FAQ
Can I have the source? I just want to run a server for my friends.

No.
  • It would violate the spirit of my agreement with Donald X. that let me run the server in the first place.
  • The Dominion content (card text, etc.) isn't mine to give away.
  • The current source code contains cards from the unreleased Guilds expansion.

DStu

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 10:32:30 am »

With the suggestions, there are some problems:
- an engine to add new cards of your own creation
That's extremly easy to DoS, or it's extremly hard to prevent to DoS, because you could just include cards like:
Code: [Select]
Do this 10^214 times:
put your draw deck in your discard
shuffle your deck
and it's only limited by creativity.
As the state of the game has to be calculated on the server (to prevent cheating), you would to have be very carefull that no card will take to many resources, which is an impossible task, unless you have very strict limits on what the cards could do.  Which would be boring.

- an "undo" feature during play
That would of course be nice, but you can not allow to undo any action that reveals information, so that is basically no Attack (because of possible reactions), no +cards, no inspect your draw like Scout/Apothecary/etc, no buying Provinces (because of Fool's Gold).  There will be probably only a tiny fraction of cards left where this would be possible, which is probably more confusing than helpful ("why am I allowed to undo X but not Y), so that it is clearer that it can be just done on basic treasures.

plank

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 10:49:08 am »

No.
  • It would violate the spirit of my agreement with Donald X. that let me run the server in the first place.

I hadn't seen this little FAQ, until now.  So, I'll just have to enlist a minion to write the same code over again?  What a stupid waste of time.  The wheel was built, put it on a torrent for crying out loud.

To avoid violating the ethical agreement, there's no need to provide Dominion card content, just the bare bones and an interface to add cards.  The user can invent a game, copy a game with some effort or whatever.

plank

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 10:52:29 am »
+2

Basically, if I'm playing with friends or my kids, we prefer tapping buttons to shuffling decks.

This is a straightforward question - I don't want to get "legality" answers, I just want the download (and would be willing to pay a nominal price).

Why don't you just play on Goko?

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 10:53:18 am »
+6

No.

I hadn't seen this little FAQ, until now.  So, I'll just have to enlist a minion to write the same code over again?  What a stupid waste of time.  The wheel was built, put it on a torrent for crying out loud.

To avoid violating the ethical agreement, there's no need to provide Dominion card content, just the bare bones and an interface to add cards.  The user can invent a game, copy a game with some effort or whatever.

plank

Once you have your minion do it all, let us all know wont you...
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

DStu

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 11:00:34 am »
+4

Basically, if I'm playing with friends or my kids, we prefer tapping buttons to shuffling decks.

Why don't you just play on Goko?
We really need a thread discussing why we don't play on Goko.  But for the OP, I have the feeling that it has to do with pizza...

DStu

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 11:06:58 am »

No.

plank

It's even simpler.  For example at Dominiate, the mechanics of most cards is implemented (excluding Dark Ages).  The client-server communication is more or less implemented in this simple.tar.gz.  So your Minion just have to code the interface and compile the Coffeescript to Python.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 11:11:59 am »
+5

No.

plank

Once you have your minion do it all, let us all know wont you...

Psh, his Minion is just going to give him the new online Dominion, while the rest of us will just have to discard our hands and draw 4 cards.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Brando Commando

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +112
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 11:17:13 am »
+6

Psh, his Minion is just going to give him the new online Dominion, while the rest of us will just have to discard our hands and draw 4 cards.

Man, I have been playing that card all wrong. I mean, really, really wrong.

pinkymadigan

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 11:27:05 am »
+2

plank

While you may not realize it, you are over simplifying the technical portion of the Dominion elements, and what you are actually talking about is reprogramming the game. If you have the skill set to do so, you wouldn't need the code.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 01:28:02 pm »

plank

While you may not realize it, you are over simplifying the technical portion of the Dominion elements, and what you are actually talking about is reprogramming the game. If you have the skill set to do so, you wouldn't need the code.
I disagree here. I figure the game engine would be one the of less time-consuming elements to create. If all the client-side code (HTML, Javascript, CSS) is present, plus all the non-game-engine parts of the server, then that's a huge part of the game. (Which is why it wouldn't be released.)

pinkymadigan

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 01:46:10 pm »

plank

I disagree here. I figure the game engine would be one the of less time-consuming elements to create. If all the client-side code (HTML, Javascript, CSS) is present, plus all the non-game-engine parts of the server, then that's a huge part of the game. (Which is why it wouldn't be released.)

Maybe I said what I meant incorrectly. While you may still have a sizable portion of the work done sans the Dominion element, an excessively large portion still exists. I think Goko and Iso are both proof that getting the card interactions to play nicely with the ruleset is a complicated thing. Much less complicated when you understand the ruleset in the first place (Iso) but there are still little 'gotchas' that pop up.

Also, he asked for an interface to add cards. That's programming man. You can't add cards without programming, or they would just be rehashes of things you could already do.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 01:47:46 pm by pinkymadigan »

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2013, 01:47:01 pm »

Gotchas aren't a big deal when running a server just for your friends.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2013, 02:16:12 pm »
+8

I'd like to know if it is possible to download the "isotropic" code, so I can run it locally.  Basically, if I'm playing with friends or my kids, we prefer tapping buttons to shuffling decks.

Bwa ha! That's hilarious.

I'd like to know if it's possible to kill my neighbor.

This is a straightforward question - I don't want to get "legality" answers, I just want him dead (and would be willing to pay a nominal price).

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2013, 02:19:09 pm »
+9

This is a straightforward question - I don't want to get "legality" answers, I just want him dead (and would be willing to pay a nominal price).

PM Me the details.
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2013, 02:22:41 pm »

As a fellow human being, it is of pure altruism that I greatly wish to assist you.
For a nominal fee, you can purchase various excellent poisons..

Piemaster

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +170
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2013, 02:27:12 pm »

Not sure I understand your point here.  Logically speaking, the above would be a perfectly legitimate question.  More legitimate in fact because the fact that murder is illegal wouldn't technically stop you, or even in itself provide a roadblock, to you killing your neighbour.  But the 'legality' of Iso would actively prevent you obtaining a copy of the Isotropic source code because it is one of the main reasons Doug wouldn't give it to you.

pinkymadigan

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2013, 02:28:41 pm »

Not sure I understand your point here.

I'm pretty sure it's mockery.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2013, 02:29:41 pm »
+1

I think in both cases it should be an obstacle to getting help from anyone on the forum..

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2013, 02:38:33 pm »
+1

Not sure I understand your point here.  Logically speaking, the above would be a perfectly legitimate question.  More legitimate in fact because the fact that murder is illegal wouldn't technically stop you, or even in itself provide a roadblock, to you killing your neighbour.  But the 'legality' of Iso would actively prevent you obtaining a copy of the Isotropic source code because it is one of the main reasons Doug wouldn't give it to you.

The thing I found so funny is that he doesn't want a "legality" answer to what essentially boils down to a legal question. Yes, my analogy falls apart under close scrutiny (as so many do). Not only does the law not physically prevent someone from killing their neighbor, but I would hope that in most cases the decision not to kill your neighbor should foremost be a moral decision, rather than an ethical one.

Perhaps a better analogy would have been, "I want to know how to take the square root of a number. I don't want to have to do any 'math'. I just want to be able to do it." But that isn't nearly as funny to me.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2013, 03:53:42 pm »
+3

Perhaps a better analogy would have been, "I want to know how to take the square root of a number. I don't want to have to do any 'math'. I just want to be able to do it." But that isn't nearly as funny to me.
Just go to google and type in "sqrt(2)" or what have you. It also knows "25 choose 10."

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2013, 04:10:05 pm »
+2

The wheel was built, put it on a torrent for crying out loud.

OK, let's ignore the agreement between dougz and Donald X for a minute or two here.

You are asking someone you don't personally know to give you, free of charge, the code to their work.  Do you honestly expect the answer to be anything but "NO" about 95% of the time?

Yes, sure, open-source movement, great.  But the open-source movement is by necessity voluntary.  Trying to browbeat someone into making their code open source is a great way to get ignored.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

DStu

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2013, 04:30:20 pm »

He wanted to pay
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 21 queries.