Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: After the release of Guilds...  (Read 9925 times)

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
After the release of Guilds...
« on: March 07, 2013, 03:55:04 am »

...what's gonna happen to f.ds?
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Re: After the release of Guilds...
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 08:42:54 am »
+4

...what's gonna happen to f.ds?

...we'll still keep talking?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

WinterSpartan

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 09:13:38 am »
+1

Forum Games will still exist; therefore the community will still exist.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 09:15:27 am »
+14

This board will exist for 4 reasons:

1) Remembering how good iso was.
2) Hoping iso comes back.
3) Talking about why we don't play on Goko.
4) Playing Mafia and various other games.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 09:15:53 am »
+8

Oh, and we'll still be finding edge cases and making memes.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 11:28:40 am »
+4

In the reverse order.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 11:30:23 am »
+5

We will still be trying to guess the D1000.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 11:55:03 am »

This board will exist for 4 reasons:

1) Remembering how good iso was.
2) Hoping iso comes back.
3) Talking about why we don't play on Goko.
4) Playing Mafia and various other games.
Well now I feel useless here...
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

eliegel34

• Golem
  • Respect: +146
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 12:15:13 pm »
+3

After the release of Guilds, we can figuring out how to empty supply in 3 turns.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 03:16:10 pm »

I imagine people will have rules questions, strategy thoughts, interesting game reports, and tournaments for at least the next few years.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Avalanchian

• Spy
  • Respect: +73
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 03:56:56 pm »
+1

As long as people are playing and enjoying dominion, they will want to talk about it. You just need to look at the game reports forum for a while to see that even strong players are seeking help and opinions on their losses and showing off exciting and interesting games. The game is too varied, too deep and too surprising for conversation about it to simply cease.

On top of that the community seems really strong, helpful and inclusive. I've only been here a month, but have spent the time amazed by how great the atmosphere is here compared to many other online forums I've posted on. I feel free to post my opinions and questions, and many of the members here seem patient, helpful and just as curious about my problems as I am. It seems unlikely that the community will die just because there aren't expansions coming out every six to twelve months.

I think the bigger question is what will happen when Isotropic goes down. I've not really played there, but I wonder how many people will be switching to Goko when Iso goes down. Will those people that stop playing online dominion just fade away from the forum?
"Edge case challenges are the Rube Goldberg machines of Dominion" - Michaeljb

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 04:11:53 pm »

I think the bigger question is what will happen when Isotropic goes down. I've not really played there, but I wonder how many people will be switching to Goko when Iso goes down. Will those people that stop playing online dominion just fade away from the forum?

I think a lot of people will, unfortunately.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 05:08:18 pm »
+5

In the reverse order.
Depending on the board.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 05:38:17 pm »

My hope is that new players continue to find this website. I think Dominion is still growing and at a fast pace. The game is not even 5 years old. I remember Settlers. Even at 10 years, the game hadn't caught on with the mainstream. It as only in the last 5 years that Settlers has really taken off and become a mainstream game that now lots of people know about. I feel that Dominion right now is further along in popularity at under 5 years than Settlers was at 10 years.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2013, 05:41:36 pm »

settlers was my gateway game to the rest of boardgaming, and that was around 7 years ago or something I think. I only got into dominion less than a year ago. So I agree that dominion is growing, but I seem to remember settlers as one of the most popular games and one that lots of people started with.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2013, 05:45:22 pm »

settlers was my gateway game to the rest of boardgaming, and that was around 7 years ago or something I think. I only got into dominion less than a year ago. So I agree that dominion is growing, but I seem to remember settlers as one of the most popular games and one that lots of people started with.

Settlers is one of the most popular games, but at 5 years old, it was nowhere near as big as Dominion. I don't even think Settlers at 10 years of age was as big as Dominion now. Settlers turns 18 this year, so if you got into it 7 years ago, that was around its 10 year mark.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2013, 05:55:52 pm »

well you said it only became a mainstream game about 5 years ago...

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2013, 06:28:16 pm »

well you said it only became a mainstream game about 5 years ago...

I said it wasn't quite mainstream yet at 10 years of age. It was close to being mainstream in 2005, but I don't feel it was there just yet. I would say 5 years ago Settlers did become mainstream or around the 10 year mark. But, that is just my observation and opinion, of course.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2013, 10:58:08 pm »
+3

My hope is that new players continue to find this website. I think Dominion is still growing and at a fast pace. The game is not even 5 years old. I remember Settlers. Even at 10 years, the game hadn't caught on with the mainstream. It as only in the last 5 years that Settlers has really taken off and become a mainstream game that now lots of people know about. I feel that Dominion right now is further along in popularity at under 5 years than Settlers was at 10 years.

That's because Dominion is a better game than Settlers...
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Piemaster

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +170
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2013, 12:58:55 am »
+1

Probably not really fair to compare the life-cycle of Settlers and Dominion, because 'geek stuff' generally has become a lot more popular in the last ten years.  There was a time where mentioning you were into trading card games or RPGs or science fiction or whatever was social suicide, but now it seems to be a lot more acceptable.  I'm not sure your DCI rating is ever going to be a pick-up line per se, but I know the popularity of stuff like Big Bang Theory and Vampire films has brought a lot of previously uber-geeky stuff into mainstream acceptability.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2013, 01:09:16 am »
+1

I know the popularity of stuff like Big Bang Theory and Vampire films has brought a lot of previously uber-geeky stuff into mainstream acceptability.

BBT isn't really representative of geeky stuff.  And vampires are geeky?  I mean, I suppose the fantasy aspect could make that true, but the recent popular vampire stuff has been, what, Twilight?  That's not geeky. :P

Piemaster

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2013, 03:21:34 am »

BBT isn't really representative of geeky stuff.

Not the main themes of the show, no, but it contains a lot of authentic geek material in it that are sort of 'legitimised' by being on a mainstream TV show.  I know I have watched the show with people and explained references to stuff like Settlers of Catan, Schrodinger's Cat and Will Wheaton and they have been interested and find it kind of cool that I know this stuff and want to know more, rather than it being sad and nerdy like it would be considered before.

And vampires are geeky?  I mean, I suppose the fantasy aspect could make that true, but the recent popular vampire stuff has been, what, Twilight?  That's not geeky. :P

Exactly, it's not geeky.  Which means people who play Vampire: The Masquerade, or watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer who would have been considered geeks before are now far more mainstream-acceptable as Vampires are considered 'cool'.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 03:23:19 am by Piemaster »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2013, 04:57:54 am »

BBT isn't really representative of geeky stuff.

Not the main themes of the show, no, but it contains a lot of authentic geek material in it that are sort of 'legitimised' by being on a mainstream TV show.  I know I have watched the show with people and explained references to stuff like Settlers of Catan, Schrodinger's Cat and Will Wheaton and they have been interested and find it kind of cool that I know this stuff and want to know more, rather than it being sad and nerdy like it would be considered before.

And vampires are geeky?  I mean, I suppose the fantasy aspect could make that true, but the recent popular vampire stuff has been, what, Twilight?  That's not geeky. :P

Exactly, it's not geeky.  Which means people who play Vampire: The Masquerade, or watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer who would have been considered geeks before are now far more mainstream-acceptable as Vampires are considered 'cool'.

Huh, I guess Buffy would be considered geeky.  Touche.

I wouldn't say Twilight is cool though. ;)

On TBBT, my comment was more referring to its treatment of geeky subject matter and geeks in general.  I've seen a lot of criticism about the show, and it's certainly easy to find on Google.  One of the best posts I've seen on the matter is this one on Tumblr.  YMMV, of course.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2013, 05:18:51 am »
+1

Also, Settlers was mainstream from the beginning in Germany, actually I have maybe not played Settlers for 10 years.
Edit

better mem myself before I get hipstered...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 05:26:22 am by DStu »

Piemaster

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2013, 06:17:19 am »

On TBBT, my comment was more referring to its treatment of geeky subject matter and geeks in general.  I've seen a lot of criticism about the show, and it's certainly easy to find on Google.  One of the best posts I've seen on the matter is this one on Tumblr.  YMMV, of course.

I think TBBT certainly has its flaws (my personal pet peeve is the rather unrealistic characterisation), but I think that blog post you linked has far more of them.  He seems to want things both ways.  He wants the show to be aimed at a 'mainstream' audience (as opposed to what it identifies as geek shows like Veronica Mars, Buffy and F&G), but then complains about the things in the show that actually allow it to do so.  Of course the majority of people watching will identify with Penny more than the four guys and Amy - that's the idea.  Every sitcom essentially follows this same format.  You'll have a cast of characters who are eccentric in various ways and then the 'straight character' through which the viewer observes their world and their interactions with ordinary people.  That's what allows shows like this to appeal to a mainstream audience in the first place.

He never says it out loud, but the author seems to be deeply uncomfortable with the show because it highlights, and ridicules many of the things that he is himself insecure about.  When me and my (geek) friends watch TBBT, we laugh when the show makes fun of various aspects of geek culture.  We are all in our mid 30s and long ago lost any of the social embarrassment associated with being geeks.  Maybe it's because he is young (he says he is still at university) and the memories of getting bullied at school for being 'different' are still fresh.  Maybe I would have felt the same 15 years ago.  He seems to be wanting a show where somehow geeks were portrayed in a realistic yet wholly positive light, as if that would somehow make him feel better about who he is and make society understand him better.  Rather than a necessity, he seems to think it something of a betrayal that a show about geeks dares to make fun of them.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 20 queries.