Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: new players  (Read 3995 times)

dougz

• Isotropic Designer
  • Respect: +440
    • View Profile
    • Online Dominion
new players
« on: March 06, 2013, 02:31:41 pm »
+2

So, as you may have seen, the Dominion site is closing down a week from Friday.  The page will probably be replaced with a FAQ explaining why it's gone and directing players to Goko.

Should it also mention (and/or link to) innovation.isotropic.org?  At first I thought "yes, duh", but then I thought maybe having a sudden flood of non-Innovation players (or worse, people who think it's a site to play Dominion) would be bad.  Maybe a new lobby for people learning the game (plus people who are willing to teach / play newbies)?  I'm soliciting opinions or other ideas here.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Re: new players
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 03:33:18 pm »

Well, for one I think it would be a very, very good idea to add a hyperlink to the rules for Innovation.  It's kind of hidden under a rock, I had trouble finding it with google before (I have been accused of being bad at google fu many times, but, yeah)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 03:37:19 pm »

Well, for one I think it would be a very, very good idea to add a hyperlink to the rules for Innovation.  It's kind of hidden under a rock, I had trouble finding it with google before (I have been accused of being bad at google fu many times, but, yeah)

https://www.google.ca/search?q=innovation+game+rules&aq=f&oq=innovation+game+rules

First result for me. :)

Jerk of All trades

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 03:37:53 pm »

Absolutely.  There is no problem with plugging your implementation of innovation.

But like pops said, a link to the rules would be nice!  It's quite a bit harder to figure out than dominion.

Also, Innovation is confusing at first, but honestly once a person has played just a few games they will get the basic idea and be just as fun to play with as experts.  I dont think you need a newbies only lobby, unless you implement something like bots, or tutorial modes.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 03:45:23 pm by Jerk of All trades »

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 03:40:23 pm »

You have to make a BGGgeek account to see them? 

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 03:47:11 pm »

Ah, that's true.  I don't know where else I would go to find game rules though.  I just checked the Asmadi website and it's not clear.  Google can find the Echoes rules, though I can't find it from the website itself.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 04:11:57 pm »
+1

This is the only reason I have a BGG account.

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 04:22:11 pm »
+1

Rules for invasion without an account:
http://www.asmadigames.com/innovation/InnovationRulesWeb.pdf

Doug:
My vote- Promote it like crazy.
Maybe with a short write up (by a volunteer here?) on how the game works and is very different from Dominion.

I also think you should talk to Goko about an affiliate deal. If you send them someone that goes on to buy something they should pay you a commission.

Ed

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 04:34:17 pm »

I can do a write up if I am the best player willing to do so.  I'm not all that great and probably not that good at explaining things.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 05:00:15 pm »

dougz, how do you decide what games to implement on iso?  Were you contacted by the Innovation publishers, or did you ask them?  Any chance we'll see more in the future?

Of course, feel free to ignore any or all of these questions. :)

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 05:05:38 pm »

Save it for the Ask DougZ thread!

I think put the link in, it cant hurt, but definately have a link to the rules somewhere.

Possibly on the log in page?
Can put the intro there as well
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Thog

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 05:19:37 am »

I registered just to say this: please do leave a link to Innovation.  If all those stranded Dominion players weren't directed to somewhere else to go, it would be a tremendous wasted opportunity.  Also, I wouldn't worry about ruining the experience for existing players by bringing in a huge influx of newbies, since as it is, there's barely anyone on to play with, at least in my experience, for the times that I'm logged on at.  A choice between playing with no one and playing with a newbie should have an obvious answer.  A separate lobby would therefore be redundant.  People can read; they're not going to confuse Innovation with Dominion.

teasel

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 07:03:59 am »

i usualy read dominionstrategy as it's the best way to follow goko movements (and whenever they are going to implement more games) and i learned about innovation through another goko disgruntled player,i never played the game but i picked it up pretty quickly after 3 games so based on my experience i'd say obviously go for it

ancientcampus

• Navigator
  • Respect: +52
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2013, 10:16:14 am »

I just discovered Innovation though the link on the FAQ, and I'm quite glad I did. (BTW, at first, I thought it was a game Doug made himself, before I searched it online.)

(Also, many thanks to the helpful player who explained the rules to me - I picked it up on my first game, and won my second and third games vs people! Needless to say, I'm hooked.)
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 21 queries.