Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Goko UI makes me want to...  (Read 20985 times)

TheSadPanda

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
Goko UI makes me want to...
« on: March 06, 2013, 12:07:33 pm »
+3

...punch myself in the face...I dont know if I can do it...

I dont post here much nor read the articles so sorry for a rant and a question as one of my first foray's into the Forums but...

How many of you are going to switch? if I can get over the frustration of changing - I would like to know that I have some of my fellow comrades from ISO there...How many of you actually love Goko? am I just being silly?  If you are someone that kicks my ass everyday or someone I play against regularly please let me know if you are going over...or not. Thanks!

Sidenote: Started playing a RTS on goodgamestudios.com called Empire ... pretty cool and also free and I am under the same name there, hit me up if you try it out.

Thanks
TSP

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Re: Goko UI makes me want to...
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 12:17:29 pm »

I've been over for a while.  I'd say I'm pretty used to the interface, and haven't seen any bugs lately.  They just need to improve their matchmaking.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 12:20:56 pm »

I play there pretty much exclusively now.  I like Iso's interface more because I was trained on it, but Goko's really not so bad aside from a few quirks.  The backlash is a little overblown in my opinion.  The Chrome extension that adds an Iso-style log makes it a lot better, and probably easier for people used to Isotropic to adjust to.  Playing with Dark Ages was worth adjusting to the new interface.  There are still some problems that need addressing (like matchmaking) but things should improve.  Goko has come a long way.

Possession has some weird issues, but I'm willing to look the other way on that for the time being... I don't know how I'd program the thing myself.  Also, I still can't get Shelters to show up, but apparently that's not happening for everyone.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 12:22:28 pm by jsh357 »
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Jiriki

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 12:24:39 pm »

I'm going to switch over once Iso dies. Enjoy it too much and one of the few things I can semi-competently play with a fussy newborn strapped to my chest.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 12:33:19 pm »

It's ridiculous how long Goko took to get their implementation to the state it's in now, and I guess they'll need a ridiculous amount of time to fix the remaining quirks, but it's definiely useable, and for me at least the fact that it had DA made it more enjoyable than iso long ago.

hsiale

• Duke
  • Respect: +244
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 12:44:35 pm »

Once the log parser was created, I see no major problems with Goko UI. It would be nice if someone creates a point counter. There are some minor problems still to be solved, but nothing critical. I also have no lagging or crashing problems.

Good matchmaking is the only thing I'd like to see to say that for me Goko is clearly better than Iso (original card art and bots are things I really like and definitely outweigh one time 45$ payment.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 01:10:02 pm »
+1

Unfortunately, the more I play the more I realise how ordinary the interface is. The Dominion cards look good and that's about it. I don't think anyone has mentioned this before but as soon as you start thinking about something like mouse movements, you can see just how far you're moving the mouse to get things done. Playing a bunch of ill-gotten gains is just frustrating, to be honest - click here, click there, click here, click there, ....

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 01:14:59 pm »

How else would you implement IGG?

hsiale

• Duke
  • Respect: +244
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 01:15:42 pm »

playing a bunch of ill-gotten gains is just frustrating, to be honest - click here, click there, click here, click there, ....
Wasn't it the same on Iso? Of course the buttons were closer to the cards, but on the other hand they were way smaller as well. Was there a way to do this without using mouse, by some keyboard shortcut?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 01:24:38 pm »

I'm going to switch to innovation.  Which you already tried out iirc.

jaybeez

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: jaybeez
  • Respect: +395
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 01:49:20 pm »

I much prefer the extreme simplicity of Iso, but Goko isn't that bad.  I'll probably switch but I may wait to see if they offer a "buy all the cards at once" kind of package after Guilds comes out.  That's probably wishful thinking though.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 02:03:53 pm »
+1

There's one without Guilds, but it's more expensive than buying cards separately

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 02:07:45 pm »

I play there pretty much exclusively now.  I like Iso's interface more because I was trained on it, but Goko's really not so bad aside from a few quirks.  The backlash is a little overblown in my opinion.  The Chrome extension that adds an Iso-style log makes it a lot better, and probably easier for people used to Isotropic to adjust to.  Playing with Dark Ages was worth adjusting to the new interface.  There are still some problems that need addressing (like matchmaking) but things should improve.  Goko has come a long way.

Possession has some weird issues, but I'm willing to look the other way on that for the time being... I don't know how I'd program the thing myself.  Also, I still can't get Shelters to show up, but apparently that's not happening for everyone.

To the best of my knowledge, everyone is having troubles getting Shelters to come up in pro games. On this one, I feel Goko is not listening because an employees opinion is that they should show up about 6 out of 1000 games. So, I think Goko has the math way wrong on that one considering that almost every game would have one DA card, and if you have one DA card in your kindgdom that gives you a 10% chance of having Shelters show up. So, the odds of seeing Shelters should at least be 10%, if not greater. Most kingdoms I have come up have around 3 DA cards, so that should be about 30% chance of seeing Shetlers. Hopefully Goko listens and gets this fixed though and realizes that their math is off.

Jiriki

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 02:10:55 pm »

There's one without Guilds, but it's more expensive than buying cards separately

In fairness to them the package with all the games includes some other shit; zaps and such.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2013, 02:11:55 pm »
+3

I'll probably be on Dominion hiatus for a while. I may join Goko after a few weeks, if people say it's okay. I have been hugely under-impressed so far. And I will miss Iso very, very much.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2013, 02:13:18 pm »
+1

To the best of my knowledge, everyone is having troubles getting Shelters to come up in pro games. On this one, I feel Goko is not listening because an employees opinion is that they should show up about 6 out of 1000 games. So, I think Goko has the math way wrong on that one considering that almost every game would have one DA card, and if you have one DA card in your kindgdom that gives you a 10% chance of having Shelters show up. So, the odds of seeing Shelters should at least be 10%, if not greater. Most kingdoms I have come up have around 3 DA cards, so that should be about 30% chance of seeing Shetlers. Hopefully Goko listens and gets this fixed though and realizes that their math is off.

Shelters should come up proportionally to the number of DA kingdom cards to all kingdom cards available. Right now this is 35 out of 192 = 18.2% of the time.

TheSadPanda

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2013, 02:18:38 pm »

I also like Innovation, im the same name there...might play that a bit too...still pretty underwhelmed on Goko...

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2013, 02:21:11 pm »

Shelters should come up proportionally to the number of DA kingdom cards to all kingdom cards available. Right now this is 35 out of 192 = 18.2% of the time.

I know, but on GetSatisfaction, Goko is under the impression that is 6 out of 1000 games.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2013, 02:23:09 pm »
+1

link please, wanna complain.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2013, 02:24:23 pm »

The interface is one of the few things I haven't complained about much.  It's not perfect, but neither is Iso.  Yes, some things need work--Scheme in particular is problematic--but at this point it's really just matchmaking that is missing.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2013, 02:27:22 pm »

This is something we can hopefully get Donald and onigame to address with them.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2013, 02:30:29 pm »

I'm glad you mentioned that, as if I ever give Goko any money that's probably what I'd have bought.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2013, 02:31:54 pm »
+4

My guess is that a few months from now, most people will have transitioned to Goko and we will have forgotten about this whole thing.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2013, 02:36:21 pm »
+1

@Kirian: But why should we need Donald or onigame (how is that guy an authority anyway) for that?

@qmech Cheapest way currently:
Cheapest seems to be:
Intrigue, Seaside and Prosperity at 70 each = 210,
Hinterlands, Alchemy and Cornucopia in Super Pack 2 at 140
DA at 110
Total 460.

eliegel34

• Golem
  • Respect: +146
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2013, 02:37:52 pm »

I think I'll give goko another chance.  About once a month I'd check out goko and see if it i was something i wanted top play on (mostly for DA cards) the lack of stability back then was enough to drive me away.  The other thing i miss most is the lack of competition, and sense of community on goko.

I'm curious to see many of the high level players switch over to goko. So far it has been really hard to find players ranked higher than the bots on goko.  I would enjoy playing some games on goko with you Sad Panda.  I sure will miss isotropic.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 02:48:02 pm by eliegel34 »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 20 queries.