Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Scrying Pool/Steward Conundrum  (Read 1049 times)

dudeabides

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: dudeabides
  • Respect: +136
    • View Profile
Scrying Pool/Steward Conundrum
« on: March 06, 2013, 10:29:49 am »

So the board is relatively straightforward--Scrying Pool engine is clearly the dominant strategy.  As such, both my opponent and I open Potion/Steward.  My opponent's T3 draw is terrible: Steward, Estate, 2 Coppers, and a Potion.  What do you do with that?

Do you not even bother playing Steward and just buy a Scrying Pool, hoping that the small probability of a $5 T4 is realized? Do you use Steward to draw 2 Cards to expedite the reshuffle?  Do you trash Estate and Copper and wait for the next Potion before buying the Pool?  I'm curious to get hear what others would do with his terrible draw.

Here's the log:

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201303/06/game-20130306-070952-0ed44116.html
jsh357: the dude doesn't need to explain himself

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
Re: Scrying Pool/Steward Conundrum
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 11:00:43 am »
+1

Do you use Steward to draw 2 Cards to expedite the reshuffle?

This gets my vote.

There are no $4s except Scout, and even if you do pull in two wasted Coppers this way, the chance that it prevents you getting an early Witch is tiny - it only happens if the rest of your deck had both Estates at the bottom, i.e. 1 in 21. And it can't prevent you from getting at least $3 on turn 4. Buying FV (I guess?) is really the expected result on turn 4 regardless, so you might as well cycle and try again for a better line-up with the Steward.

[ETA: as carstimon correctly points out, the draw enables a $5 turn 4 just as often.]

For that matter, why don't you grab Witch yourself at any later point? I would definitely take it over the first Market, because what are you going to do with the +Buy? You already have a gainer for your engine pieces and it'll be a while before you're looking at anywhere near $16 hands. Actually, maybe not, now that I look at the total game length. Nice job grabbing multiple Stewards for the economy + trashing + to end the game.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 11:12:32 am by zahlman »

carstimon

• Golem
  • Respect: +115
    • View Profile
Re: Scrying Pool/Steward Conundrum
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 11:07:07 am »
+1

I agree with the draw.  Then I get a fresh shuffle after turn four with potion/steward/sp/?.  The SP will help me get to my steward faster in the fresh shuffle.

Notice the chance of getting $5 turn 4 is the same whether I draw 2 or don't draw:  in one case it happens only with EECCCCC, in the other case it happens only with CCCCCEE.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 20 queries.