Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: So when will Isotropic return?  (Read 14080 times)

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
So when will Isotropic return?
« on: March 06, 2013, 08:00:56 am »
+3

The answer may well be "never", but for some reason, I don't have 100% confidence in Goko's ability to stick around for the long haul...
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

eliegel34

• Golem
  • Respect: +146
    • View Profile
Re: So when will Isotropic return?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 09:16:37 am »
+13

How about March 16th.

Tombolo

• Tactician
  • Respect: +450
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 04:31:42 pm »
+2

Eh, it took a few days last time.  I'm going with the 18th.
We’ve had a hard day at work, we’ve been looking forward to our Dominion, how can you expect us to play anything else, you ogre.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 04:34:07 pm »
+4

I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 06:48:45 pm »
+1

Unfortunately I think goko will be gobbled up by some large company like zynga rather than be allowed to go under.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 12:21:51 pm »

Unfortunately I think goko will be gobbled up by some large company like zynga rather than be allowed to go under.

RGG does not have an indefinite contract with them, though.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 01:59:22 pm »

Technically we know that the contract is finite but we don't know how long the contract is.  It could be 300 years.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 02:24:54 pm »

Technically we know that the contract is finite but we don't know how long the contract is.  It could be 300 years.

I thought we did, or we knew how long Donalds contract is with rgg and that govera this as well.

Of course it would be in all parties interest to renew it i would imagine.....
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 03:08:21 pm »

RGG does not have an indefinite contract with them, though.

I would also be surprised if that contract doesn't contain a no-transfer clause.  Jay was pretty adamant against microtransactions affecting the game, and that's exactly what would happen under Zynga.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 03:11:11 pm »
+1

Reading this it's more 3 than 300...

plank

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 09:05:23 pm »
+1

Isotropic probably will return, IMO, but in a different incarnation.

I imagine an app, that is an engine to play a game of your own creation, with mechanics that can be adjusted (to play like Dominion or otherwise) would be sellable.  The parameters for any game you create could be stored and shared by way of say, a torrent. 

Would there be a leader board?  Maybe.
Would it be something that works over the net?  Yes.
Could it be used locally, between friends?  I sure hope so - that would be my own implementation.

Everything has its purpose.  Isotropic shows us, as a community, how card games can be played.

entropius

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2013, 12:41:24 am »

Well, the easiest and still ethical thing to do is for anyone here with computer security skills to try to compromise isotropic to get a copy of the server binary (or, better, source). This is ethical because everyone who matters gets what they want: Donald X and the "good guys" at RGG still get paid by Goko (I imagine, since I doubt there is a clause in the contract that says "if another free version shows up, you have to pay us $$$"). The operator of iso could even leak the source under pretense of a server compromise; so long as he has plausible deniability ("it was those skript kiddies, I swear! I'm sending two Estates back to the supply, you can even have one!"), the only person who loses out in such a scenario is Goko, and frankly who cares about their interests? (Yes, I'm using Lannister ethics here, in which it's only a sin to lie/cheat/steal/etc from your friends, but a bunch of IRL hard knocks lately have convinced me that, sadly, if you don't act like that you'll be overtaken by those who do.)

Isotropic probably will return, IMO, but in a different incarnation.

I imagine an app, that is an engine to play a game of your own creation, with mechanics that can be adjusted (to play like Dominion or otherwise) would be sellable.  The parameters for any game you create could be stored and shared by way of say, a torrent.

Would there be a leader board?  Maybe.
Would it be something that works over the net?  Yes.
Could it be used locally, between friends?  I sure hope so - that would be my own implementation.

Everything has its purpose.  Isotropic shows us, as a community, how card games can be played.

This is a good idea since it's more lawyerproof. Some of the more difficult coding (the generic gameplay utility) can be done out on the open, on github or similar, without provoking lawyer attack. Game-specific rulesets, containing everything specific to Dominion or Race for the Galaxy or whatever, would perhaps have to be developed underground and distributed via back channels, but that is a smaller thing to protect from lawyers.

User was banned for this post
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 09:41:12 am by theory »

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2013, 12:56:02 am »
+4

So theory, maybe close the forums for a week? That's how it looks to me at this point, no lie.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2013, 01:00:44 am »
+1

Yeah, if we just ignore the problem, it will definitely go away!

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2013, 01:14:32 am »
+1

Yeah, if we just ignore the problem, it will definitely go away!
This is your usual insane nonsense! Did I actually post that? See the thing is, me just not looking at the site for a week, that only stops me from fighting with people, it doesn't stop them from fighting with each other.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2013, 01:50:01 am »

I can only imagine entropius was being hyperbolic in an attempt to show how ridiculous the "how ethical is doing something unethical?" argument is.  Right?

Right??
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2013, 03:09:08 am »

So theory, maybe close the forums for a week? That's how it looks to me at this point, no lie.

fwiw, i started up a FAQ about the whole situation here. i will try to add to it tomorrow. extra information, sources, and corrections are all welcome. i would also encourage people to help flesh out some of the linked wiki pages, especially if you can cite your information.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2013, 04:17:37 am »
+4

the easiest and still ethical thing to do
Sounding good, easy and ethical is good

is for anyone here with computer security skills to try to compromise isotropic
uh

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2013, 04:20:57 am »

This is your usual insane nonsense! Did I actually post that? See the thing is, me just not looking at the site for a week, that only stops me from fighting with people, it doesn't stop them from fighting with each other.

Closing down the forums is equally insane nonsense! I agree that there is no need for people suggesting about how to preserve Iso or libeling you and Jay as money-grubbing capitalists (which ge is going to attempt to address in his FAQ, though my gut feeling is that it won't be very effective), but a) other stuff still goes on around here, and b) you should not be able to stop people legitimately complaining about Goko.

If theory can make a forum-wide sticky setting the facts straight, that may be marginally more effective.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 04:22:07 am by dondon151 »

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2013, 04:25:15 am »

Closing down the forums is equally insane nonsense! I agree that there is no need for people suggesting about how to preserve Iso or libeling you and Jay as money-grubbing capitalists, but a) other stuff still goes on around here, and b) you should not be able to stop people legitimately complaining about Goko.
I don't need people to stop complaining about Goko, though I understand why you, dondon151, would characterize me as doing that. People have complained about Goko for a long time now, without it being a problem for the forums.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2013, 04:27:19 am »

Then why propose closing down the forums in the first place?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2013, 04:28:41 am »

Then why propose closing down the forums in the first place?
The careful reader will see the answer.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2013, 04:37:02 am »

The careful reader will see the answer.

I already made a rebuttal to your answer before you stated you answer.

Also:
I understand why you, dondon151, would characterize me as doing that.

Really? Please explain. I'd like to know why as well. Are you sure you want to start this?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2013, 05:11:20 am »
+3

Really? Please explain. I'd like to know why as well. Are you sure you want to start this?
Dude. You are sitting here demanding that I interact with you. But if I interact with you, I am just going to call you an idiot over and over. Due to your posts! And of course my rudeness.

That's no good. It sucks for me, it's bad for the forums. Well hey I can leave. That will solve the problem for me. It won't solve the problem for anyone else though. There will still be people calling each other idiots. They won't be doing it to each other's faces though, because they don't even know each other, they are just posting on some forums. The forums are a crucial piece.

And I guess you're saying that your response was, ignoring stuff doesn't make it go away? That makes no sense in this context, it has nothing to do with this. Hey, maybe you meant something else. Oh well.

Obv. theory isn't closing the forums to stop people from arguing. Did that have to be said? Maybe he will lock two threads and merge two other ones or something. Whatever, it's taken too long. This is why we can't have nice things.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2013, 06:24:55 am »

Dude. You are sitting here demanding that I interact with you. But if I interact with you, I am just going to call you an idiot over and over. Due to your posts! And of course my rudeness.

This was at your invitation. I do not care at all if you choose to stop interacting with me.

I have no qualms with people continuing to call each other idiots. At some point they will either have to learn that Goko is not as excruciatingly terrible as some users make it out to be or that people shouldn't criticize the basis on which they make personal economic decisions, or they'll get tired of arguing and stop anyway. Let the fever run its course. It's not so bad that f.DS needs to be put into a drug-induced coma.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 21 queries.