Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: What's the best strategy on this board?  (Read 2276 times)

Destierro

• Bishop
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
What's the best strategy on this board?
« on: March 04, 2013, 12:55:15 pm »

Border Village, Duke, Feast, Fishing Village, Ghost Ship, Goons, Horse Traders, Jester, Possession, Stables

I'll post my game later.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
Re: What's the best strategy on this board?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 01:18:27 pm »
+1

I'm certain the correct answer will be "Play a lot of Goons". Stables gives you cards, Border Village and Fishing Village give you actions. Play a lot of Goons and 3 pile.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 02:04:33 pm »

Ghost ships are usually stronger than goons when head-to-head, but the threat of possession probably pushes this board towards goons. Jesters look tempting, especially against border villages, but I guess you are probably best working through fishing villages, horse traders, and weak stables to get to goons.

carstimon

• Golem
  • Respect: +115
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 12:40:24 pm »

Draw feels like the bottleneck here.  Eventually you'll start each hand with 3 cards, and the draw options are stables and ghost ship.  I would start fishing village/silver and aim to get, in the mid game
-A ghost ship, a goons for buy, then stables/ghost ship with 5 or 6 (gaining with Border Village).  Get ghost ships if I have plenty of actions.
-FV at $3/$4
Once I feel pretty comfortable with my draw I would add goons and go for big hands.  But I think the key is to prefer draw to goons at first.

Horse Traders with Dukes is also a threat, but I think the goons engine beats it (especially because now the engine player gets full hands).
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 12:41:51 pm by carstimon »

Destierro

• Bishop
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 01:47:42 pm »

Horse Traders with Dukes is also a threat, but I think the goons engine beats it (especially because now the engine player gets full hands).

This was my strategy, as looking at the board I just didnt see the required draw for a goons game. I ended up winning 81 to 70-something, because the attacks were negated by horse traders, and I could hit 5 more than he hit 2 goons or more turns. There isnt the explosion that is inherent to most goons engines, as the draw is so weak.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 03:49:54 pm »
+2

Since when was Stables weak draw? I refuse to believe that Goons doesn't completely annihilate Duke-HT in this kingdom.

EDIT: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201303/05/game-20130305-130318-4b841b8b.html

HT-Duke doesn't attack anyway, and it won't always have HT in hand to defend against Ghost Ship.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 04:04:10 pm by dondon151 »

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 05:24:04 pm »

I described stables as weak drawing since you don't really want to keep a copper/stables pair in hand when attacked by goons, and since you'll be buying fishing villages ahead of silver you can't rely on drawing cards by discarding silver. Those are not optimal conditions for stables.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 05:48:14 pm »

I wasn't referring to your comment, since Stables does get hurt by handsize attacks more than other cards, but Destierro thought that HT-Duke would have been better because Stables is "weak" draw even though HT-Duke doesn't use handsize attacks.

Although I do disagree that you'd prioritize FV over Silver. You want a couple so that you can start off more turns with +action, but before you get Goons you should prioritize drawing with Stables, and it's quite easy to hit $6 and grab a BV for free. FV is also hurt a lot by handsize attacks because it doesn't draw cards, so it's somewhat dead in a 3-card hand. You don't need very many excess actions in the first place if you're only using them for Goons and Ghost Ships.

mgallop

• Baron
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 01:33:19 am »

Duke/HT is probably going to get outclassed by Goons. I think in a battle between two attacking decks (Goons mirror or Ghost Ship) you want to pick up some reasonable number of HT, which both mitigates opposing attacks and also helps bootstrap you into the attacks early without clogging your deck with stupid silvers.

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 08:49:38 am »

FV is also hurt a lot by handsize attacks because it doesn't draw cards, so it's somewhat dead in a 3-card hand.

Counterpoint: it lets you carry forward a potentially critical $1 in economy to the next hand when that might be a 3-card hand.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.436 seconds with 21 queries.