Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Wishing Well Quiz  (Read 2300 times)

Rabid

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Rabid
  • Respect: +643
    • View Profile
Wishing Well Quiz
« on: March 02, 2013, 08:36:19 pm »

Alchemist, Cartographer, Courtyard, Grand Market, Lookout, Moneylender, Nobles, Pawn, Potion, Scrying Pool, and Wishing Well

Code: [Select]
Turn order is X and then Rabid.

(X first hand: 3 Coppers and 2 Estates.)
(Rabid's first hand: 4 Coppers and an Estate.)

— X turn 1 —
X plays 3 Coppers.
X buys a Courtyard.
(X draws: 4 Coppers and an Estate.)

— Rabid's turn 1 —
   Rabid plays 4 Coppers.
   Rabid buys a Moneylender.
   (Rabid draws: 3 Coppers and 2 Estates.)

— X's turn 2 —
X plays 4 Coppers.
X buys a Moneylender.
(X reshuffles.)
(X draws: a Courtyard, 3 Coppers, and an Estate.)

— Rabid's turn 2 —
   Rabid plays 3 Coppers.
   Rabid buys a Wishing Well.
   (Rabid reshuffles.)
   (Rabid draws: 3 Coppers and 2 Estates.)

— X's turn 3 —
X plays a Courtyard.
... drawing 3 cards.
... putting 1 card back on the deck.
X plays 4 Coppers.
X buys a Silver.
(X draws: a Moneylender, 3 Coppers, and an Estate.)

— Rabid's turn 3 —
   Rabid plays 3 Coppers.
   Rabid buys a Wishing Well.
   (Rabid draws: a Wishing Well, 3 Coppers, and an Estate.)

— X's turn 4 —
X plays a Moneylender.
... trashing a Copper for +$3.
X plays 2 Coppers.
X buys a Cartographer.
(X reshuffles.)
(X draws: a Cartographer, 3 Coppers, and an Estate.)

— Rabid's turn 4 —
   Rabid plays a Wishing Well.
   ... drawing 1 card and getting +1 action.
   ... wishing for a Copper and finding one.
   Rabid plays a Moneylender.
   ... trashing a Copper for +$3.
   Rabid plays 3 Coppers.
   Rabid buys a Gold.
   (Rabid reshuffles.)
   (Rabid draws: a Wishing Well, a Gold, and 3 Coppers.)

— X's turn 5 —
X plays a Cartographer.
... drawing 1 card and getting +1 action.
... looking at the top 4 cards of the deck.
... discarding 1 card and putting 3 cards back on the deck.
X plays 3 Coppers.
X buys a Wishing Well.
(X draws: a Courtyard, a Silver, 2 Coppers, and a Moneylender.)

— Rabid's turn 5 —
   Rabid plays a Wishing Well.
   ... drawing 1 card (Copper) and getting +1 action.
   ... wishing for a ####### and finding one.

Hand: GCCCC
In Play: Wishing Well
Discard: None
Deck: CC Wishing Well, MoneyLender , EEE
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 08:41:48 pm by Rabid »
Twitch
1 Day Cup #1:Ednever

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Wishing Well Quiz
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 08:46:59 pm »

You already have $6 in hand.  I think it is too early to go for a Province, so I would wish for Estate just to maybe clear it from the deck.

Oh.  Oh, no wait.  Maybe Moneylender is a better choice, to start jumping on Grand Market.  I did not notice that in the supply before!  I think I prefer this; I submitted the wrong answer to the poll!

thirtyseven

• Duke
  • Respect: +475
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 11:49:48 pm »

Wish for Moneylender so you can pick up a GM for virtual money and start the transition into a Scrying Pool engine.
I'm only a mid-level player, so I may be wrong...

cluckyb

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 03:57:31 am »

The GM probably makes moneylender the right choice. Without that, I think Black Lotus might be better than Estate. Say you hit the estate. On turn 6, playing the WW would trigger a reshuffle and not playing it would leave you with one card. Whereas if you don't hit the estate, you can play the WW without triggering a reshuffle and not have one card. So missing the estate helps cycling better. (Of course, you have a 5/7 chance of missing the WW turn 7), but hitting the estate might actually slow down cycling a little if you want to buy another gold and get a $4 in the next reshuffle.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 10:43:41 am »

The GM probably makes moneylender the right choice. Without that, I think Black Lotus might be better than Estate. Say you hit the estate. On turn 6, playing the WW would trigger a reshuffle and not playing it would leave you with one card. Whereas if you don't hit the estate, you can play the WW without triggering a reshuffle and not have one card. So missing the estate helps cycling better. (Of course, you have a 5/7 chance of missing the WW turn 7), but hitting the estate might actually slow down cycling a little if you want to buy another gold and get a $4 in the next reshuffle.

Are you miscounting or am I?

On turn 5 there are 9 cards in the deck. Play WW and correctly guess leaves 7. Then on turn 6 there will be 2 cards left in the deck. You can draw both of them (note your guess is guaranteed correct if you've been tracking, since it's the last card) and you'll be left just before the reshuffle, which is perfect.

Are you mixing up when reshuffle occurs? You don't do it when you reach 0 cards in deck. You only do it when you need to draw and there are no cards left.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 12:01:02 pm »

Deck: CC Wishing Well, MoneyLender , EEE
Well you *do* need a signature...

cluckyb

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 02:30:34 pm »

On turn 5 there are 9 cards in the deck. Play WW and correctly guess leaves 7. Then on turn 6 there will be 2 cards left in the deck. You can draw both of them (note your guess is guaranteed correct if you've been tracking, since it's the last card) and you'll be left just before the reshuffle, which is perfect.

Are you mixing up when reshuffle occurs? You don't do it when you reach 0 cards in deck. You only do it when you need to draw and there are no cards left.

There are only 8 cards in the deck. Three coppers, three estates, another WW and the Moneylender. A copper gets drawn, leaving the deck Rabid posted remaining. So to hit 7 the WW needs to miss, not hit.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 04:22:46 pm »

There are only 8 cards in the deck. Three coppers, three estates, another WW and the Moneylender. A copper gets drawn, leaving the deck Rabid posted remaining. So to hit 7 the WW needs to miss, not hit.

Oh, a Copper had been trashed. OK.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 07:18:55 pm »
+1

I think there are a number of ways to do this. I'm guessing the opening plan could have involved scrying pools or cartographers to go with the wishing wells, so you could stick to those plans or jump for a early grand market. I suspect that two golds with cartographer, moneylender, and wishing wells would make a strong money deck without embellishment, and it's slightly late for scrying pools, so I'd probably wish for the estate, buy a gold, and take the chances on a cartographer from turn 6.  For any strategy I think you would be happy to force a reshuffle on turn 6 with the wishing well if it's in hand. The opponent wasn't doing alchemy, but it might have changed things if he had been
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 20 queries.