Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Alchemist stack with no +Actions beats Smithy BM?  (Read 3282 times)

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
Re: Alchemist stack with no +Actions beats Smithy BM?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 10:26:23 pm »

Should be Alchemist/Herbalist/Highway I think.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 10:27:11 pm »

Only 3 Provinces after 19 turns in a Smithy BM game?  I guess you were hit with Fortune Teller a lot, but most I want to say you got unlucky.  Mayhaps the third Smithy was too much?
Well you *do* need a signature...

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 10:29:48 pm »

Should be Alchemist/Herbalist/Highway I think.
No Actions? You sure?

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 10:38:31 pm »
+2

I don't really like Alch/Herbalist/Highway because Stables kind of does it better, but even then it's not too fast. There is a possibility of a hybrid strategy using some Alchs for consistency and Stables primarily for draw. Herbalist is a really bad terminal action though and you would much rather play Fortune Teller for the attack, but you need the +buy.

Vault-BM also looks superior to Smithy-BM here because it's better at defending against Fortune Teller, more resilient to greening, and less likely to collide with itself. In the actual game you should have bought Gold on turn 13 because it was right before a reshuffle, and I would even buy Gold on turn 14.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 10:40:01 pm by dondon151 »

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 10:41:42 pm »

I don't really like Alch/Herbalist/Highway because Stables kind of does it better, but even then it's not too fast. There is a possibility of a hybrid strategy using some Alchs for consistency and Stables primarily for draw. Herbalist is a really bad terminal action though and you would much rather play Fortune Teller for the attack, but you need the +buy.

Vault-BM also looks superior to Smithy-BM here because it's better at defending against Fortune Teller, more resilient to greening, and less likely to collide with itself. In the actual game you should have bought Gold on turn 13 because it was right before a reshuffle, and I would even buy Gold on turn 14.

My initial reaction was also that Vault-BM was the way to go, but then thought maybe Smithy was worth it on a 3/4.  Now that you mention its resilience to Fortune Teller though, I definitely agree.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 10:44:14 pm »

My initial reaction was also that Vault-BM was the way to go, but then thought maybe Smithy was worth it on a 3/4.  Now that you mention its resilience to Fortune Teller though, I definitely agree.
So open Silver/Silver?

Mad, I tell you.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 10:47:41 pm »

Another slight boost for Vault is that an Alchemist player is less likely to have junk in their hand to discard to Vault.  Since, you know, a couple cards at least will be Alchemists.  Of course, you didn't know that they'd be going Alchemist until after you'd purchased a Smithy.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 10:52:00 pm »
+1

You also have way more flexibility with Vault. Say that you already have 2 Vaults and you hit $5, but you don't want a Duchy. If you get a Stables or Highway, then if it gets drawn dead with Vault, it's not so bad because you can still discard it for +$1. If you don't draw them dead, the benefit is pretty nice, especially the cycling, since BM decks cycle slowly.

Silver/Silver is a standard opening but I'd also consider Silver/FT. If your opponent opens Potion, FT can skip the Potion or knock his Potion hand down to $2P.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 10:53:14 pm by dondon151 »

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 11:08:33 pm »

Smithy/Vault seems ok here. I'm really not sure why you bought smithy/silver on turns 3 and 4 when both were 5 coin hands.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 11:14:13 pm »

Smithy/Vault seems ok here. I'm really not sure why you bought smithy/silver on turns 3 and 4 when both were 5 coin hands.
Wasnt thinking i guess...

Mad, I tell you.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 11:57:17 pm »

This is the classic problem of trying to be a simulator bot. In real games, you're allowed to have more than one different kind of action card.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 11:57:59 pm »

This is the classic problem of trying to be a simulator bot. In real games, you're allowed to have more than one different kind of action card.
I know. Turn off the autopilot!

Mad, I tell you.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2013, 12:47:32 am »

I'm going to bet that Smithy/Silver or Fortune Teller/Silver, then getting a Vault, are roughly equivalent here... and much better than the Alchemist thing.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 20 queries.