Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Young Witch, Tunnel (Bane), Apprentices VS. Ambassador x 2, Minions  (Read 806 times)

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201302/26/game-20130226-122253-72e6614f.html

cards in supply: Ambassador, Apprentice, Bridge, Council Room, Courtyard, Explorer, Minion, Oracle, Shanty Town, Tunnel♦, and Young Witch

Highly interesting game with a bit of a rock-paper-scissors thing going on. My opponent opens Young Witch, and then follows with Tunnel, which is the Bane. Tunnel makes a really interesting Bane to Young Witch, because Young Witch is actually such a great Tunnel enabler that Tunnel can actually do a decent job of blocking curses. But... we have Ambassador! And I decide that there's no reason not to fight his Curses with Double Ambassador. I can give them all back, right? And then I have any number of Shanty Town-based engines to transition into (with Courtyard or Bridge or Minion to support).

The plan goes fine on my end; I quickly build a thin deck that returns Curses faster than I take them. But man, Young Witch/Tunnel gives him a LOT of Gold, and I'm kind of worried he'll just be able to power through the Curses. Two further developments support this fear. 1) I decided Minions are really good for my deck, and they are, but they also enable his Tunnels, 2) Apprentice is great for him, allowing him to chuck extra Gold for +6 Cards.

And... I totally destroy him. :) I eventually pick up 2 Tunnels of my own, which I can activate several times per turn with my Minions. I think my deck actually has a higher Gold density, since he has 8 Curses. And with such a tight deck, I don't even need all that many Minions.

I think the key here is, I saw his opening, I picked a plan that I thought would beat it, and then I stuck to that, despite his deck peaking a lot earlier. And then I set myself up for a huge comeback.

I think it's possible that a more committed Apprentice/Gold approach might win, but I'm not sure.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
Re: Young Witch, Tunnel (Bane), Apprentices VS. Ambassador x 2, Minions
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 03:47:31 pm »

I suspect that there is a bit of a hybrid strategy here involving Amb, Minion, Tunnel, Apprentice, Shanty Town, and Bridge. I don't like Young Witch here too much because there are different ways to enable Tunnel and Amb counters the cursing.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 20 queries.