Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: For every 2 [symbol] do [X]  (Read 1878 times)

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
For every 2 [symbol] do [X]
« on: February 26, 2013, 02:06:07 pm »

I think the only ones in base that do this are:

Fermenting
Reformation
Industrialization
Rocketry
The Internet

Unsurprisingly they are all very strong cards.  They tend to snowball, especially Industrialization which combos with itself quite well.  Does this hold true in Echoes as well?  Did I leave any off the list?

ksasaki

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +33
    • View Profile
Re: For every 2 [symbol] do [X]
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 02:29:23 pm »

Industrialization is especially deadly in echoes because in addition to all your factories, you also get all the associated echoes, something like rubber "draw and tuck 2 8s" and bandage "meld a card with a leaf from your hand," and you can get some crazy stack.  Also, you find that you start achieving all those special wonders, like heritage supremacy monument empire.  In fact, one game I won was only special achievements.

Fermenting if you have toothbrush tucked and splayed right is pretty sick as well.  "tuck all cards of one value" and "draw X for every 2 leaves, well you only need reformation to splay the yellow cards right, then you can build power like no other!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 02:30:37 pm by ksasaki »

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 03:53:26 pm »

I've only played one game of this so far (which I won, and I suspect is the reason why I haven't played more games, because my friends are already shying away from playing this game with me), but I made a combo with Paper and Perspective and that was the strongest thing we saw all game.

Granted neither of us had any clue what we were doing, and I might have just been playing things wrong and breaking the rules on accident. But IIRC Perspective has a "for every 2 Lightbulbs, do X" clause.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 04:05:50 pm »

I've only played one game of this so far (which I won, and I suspect is the reason why I haven't played more games, because my friends are already shying away from playing this game with me), but I made a combo with Paper and Perspective and that was the strongest thing we saw all game.

Granted neither of us had any clue what we were doing, and I might have just been playing things wrong and breaking the rules on accident. But IIRC Perspective has a "for every 2 Lightbulbs, do X" clause.

You're right.  Perspective I always thought was rather weak, but I can imagine that it is good with Paper (which gives you both the bulbs and the draw necessary for Perspective).

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 04:56:14 pm »

Perspective IS weak.  It may be a good way to get value out of a large hand, but Currency and Road Building do about as well, from a lower age, Reformation does so much better from the same age, and if you have such a powerful draw engine that neither of those are good enough for you, then it won't take you too long to get to Bicycle.

I like Bicycle better, it is so hard to disrupt.  With Perspective you need to begin a turn with Perspective in play so you can get Monument and make it worthwhile at all, and that means you can get disrupted by Societies, Compass, Physics, Experimentation, and a couple other things.  Bicycle you can just meld and immediately use, without any icon requirements whatsoever, without enough icons to share Physics, without even caring if shared Sailing covers up your Bicycle right away.  The checklist is reduced to Machinery, Alchemy, and that age 8 or 9 thing that steals all but one card from hand. 

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 06:24:02 pm »

Well, we knew literally none of the cards from the beginning, so you can imagine that my friend had trouble figuring out how to counter it, because he just let me dogma Paper to draw 5 cards and then Perspective to score 3-4 cards every turn for about 3 turns. A lot of the cards that I keep hearing about here ended up getting tucked, scored, or melded over because we just kept trying to burn through the ages.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 20 queries.