Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Thinking of buying every expansion at once  (Read 4480 times)

Blueswan

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
Thinking of buying every expansion at once
« on: February 26, 2013, 01:32:49 pm »

Found Goko a month ago. Loved it! Bought the physical base game. Love looking at the cards! Bought the full Goko expansion. Loved it even more. Best game ever, mate! Will order a bunch of games on thursday from boardgameguru in the UK. Considers ordering every physical expansion at once now that I'm at it.

Pros:
1) I get all the expansions at once! Hooray!!
2) I don't have to mull over which expansions to get first endlessly. At Goko I'm just playing with all the expansions, so I'm not really all that aware which cards belongs to which expansion. I have some idea about Intrigue, Seaside, Prosperity and Dark Ages, because I have played a bit of the adventures. Of those I probably like Dark Ages and Prosperity the best, but hey, I want them all.
3) It is overall cheaper to order them all at once rather than one by one or a few at a time.
4) I support the game!
5) I get some nice looking boxes (needed a fifth pro for the list).

Cons:
1) I'm unsure whether I actually have anybody to play Dominion with IRL (this is a major con). I have introduced the base game to my 7-year old daughter, but it's gonna be years before she can play properly, I suspect.
2) It's expensive (I live in Denmark, not the US or Germany and I'm not buying the german language ones).
3) The wife is not going to understand.
4) We have very limited shelf space at home (see point 3 again).
5) Due to point 3, point 4 and point 5 doing this will limit the number of other games I could buy.

Thoughts?

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
Re: Thinking of buying every expansion at once
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 01:38:38 pm »
+1

1. You already own the base game, so maybe try introducing it to friends and colleagues.

3. Not going to understand the game, or buying everything at once?

4. Get a cheap 3000/5000 count card box until you find a better storage solution. There's hundreds of ideas out there.

5. You suggested you liked Dark Ages and Prosperity best, maybe just buy those two and then buy 4 other games with the money you aren't spending on Dominion?
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Jacob marley

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jacob Marley
  • Respect: +139
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 01:46:20 pm »
+4

1.  Don't be too sure about your daughter.  My son started playing 2 years ago at 6 and now as an 8-year old, can beat me regularly.

3.  Have you played with your wife?  Mine is someone I never considered a gamer and didn't think she would have any interest in the game, but she played (because my son liked it) and now is as much a fan as I am.  She even asked for Prosperity for Mothers day last year!  Needless to say, she got what she wanted ;).

Blueswan

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 01:53:09 pm »

Forgot to mention that I'm part of a danish group buy at boardgameguru, so that's why I HAVE to order something now. Otherwise, I'd probably wait a bit.

My wife loaths games. I can't even get her to try anything. My hope is that when she sees me playing with our daughter then MAYBE she'll think it looks interesting. Not getting my hopes up though.

Point taken about my daughter. The fact that she doesn't know english is a setback though - she has to memorize what all the cards do.

Blueswan

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 01:56:26 pm »

4. Get a cheap 3000/5000 count card box until you find a better storage solution. There's hundreds of ideas out there.
Yes, but then what about all of those nice boxes!

I know I'm being silly, but I honestly don't like the idea of buying a bunch of games and then throwing out the boxes. :)

^_^_^_^

• Minion
  • Crazy, You Have Been Warned
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 04:34:06 pm »

You can always use the boxes for storage of other things, or to store cards when you are traveling and just want to take 1-2 sets with you, want to leave the rest at home, etc.
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Doug Z
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Donald X
The cost to buy me is 5Copper. What's Your Cost?

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 05:19:00 pm »

Hate to say it, but are you really considering spend a LARGE amount of money on a game you might have nobody to play with?

Im sure there will be other buy groups, get something your wife and daughter will play with you this time (Zooleretto?), then when they like that game, introduce the wife to 'another' game, like Online Dominion! And there ya go...
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 05:54:10 pm »

I bought them all at once and haven't regretted it, but yeah, if you don't have anyone to play with, I dunno...
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 06:03:53 pm »

Yeah, I think it might be better to try investing in some "gateway games" that could get your wife (and friends?) interested in games in general.  Ticket to Ride and Settlers of Catan are big ones.  Carcassone is quite newbie-friendly.  Relatively simple co-operative games like Pandemic or Forbidden Island might be good.

Additional pro -- most of these games should work for your daughter too.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 06:09:20 pm »
+2

Yeah, I think it might be better to try investing in some "gateway games" that could get your wife (and friends?) interested in games in general.  Ticket to Ride and Settlers of Catan are big ones.  Carcassone is quite newbie-friendly.  Relatively simple co-operative games like Pandemic or Forbidden Island might be good.

I guess I consider Dominion itself to be a gateway game.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 06:21:39 pm »

Not that it aides the discussion much, but I own all the current expansions and have only a few people that I can play games with. So they sit on the shelf for months at a time.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 07:00:06 pm »

I guess I consider Dominion itself to be a gateway game.

Maybe!  But he already has *some* of Dominion, plus online Dominion.  More gateways can only help! :P

Blueswan

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 01:39:04 am »

Some good points raised. I should probably point out that I do potentially have people to play with IRL, I'm just not yet sure whether they'd be into it.

What I've decided so far is that I'm definitely going to order Prosperity and Dark Ages and at least one of either Seaside or Intrigue. Whether I order the remaining right now or wait for later is undecided.

Jacob marley

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2013, 05:12:02 pm »
+1

For the purposes of introducing others, I'd probably wait on Dark Ages.  It is more complex than most others (Alchemy would be another one to wait on) where as with the others, I think they are a bit more friendly to new/casual players. 

You should definately have at least 2-3 sets so that variety is available.

Blueswan

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 08:36:35 am »
+1

Ended up ordering Seaside, Prosperity and Dark Ages this round. In the end Intrigue was out of stock, so that made the choice between that and Seaside easy. I was a bit gutted though, since I figured that with Intrigue I could bring both that and the base game to game nights and divide people up in two groups both playing Dominion.

Still want Intrigue, Hinterlands, Cornucopia and Alchemy (and Guilds), but I'll wait with those until I for sure know that I have people around who wants to play it.

Jacob marley

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 01:00:59 pm »

Are the base cards available from your supplier?  If so, you can get those for less than an expansion and use them to split up into two games.

Blueswan

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 03:21:06 pm »

Are the base cards available from your supplier?  If so, you can get those for less than an expansion and use them to split up into two games.
True. Don't know why I didn't think of that. Well, the order is done now. Maybe next time...

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2013, 05:39:27 pm »

And once you get used to those base cards, you never want to go back to not using them if you have the choice.

Blueswan

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2013, 09:29:48 am »

WOW! Just had a GREAT gamenight at a friends place last night. We were playing Game Of Thrones (first edition) and the game ended earlier than expected. These guys typically play heavily thematic RPG inspired stuff, so imagine my surprise when the host pulled out Dominion and Intrigue (he didn't own any other expansions). We played six rounds and I loved it. I love playing Dominion on Goko but this was FAR more fun. Now I'm really happy that I ordered the three expansions because these guys were definitely into it.

I also discovered that I'm not nearly as good as I thought I was. These guys had very little experience with Dominion and would gladly experiment with Scout/Spy/Chancellor and questioned why I would want to trash Estates in the early game. But they VERY quickly caught on and I only won 3 out of the 6 games (we played first a couple of rounds of 4 player dominion, and then played 3 player for the remaining 4 games after one guy left) - which was cool since it would have been less fun if I had been clearly superior. (but still, it hurt my ego slightly that I'm obviously still pretty bad at the game).
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 09:32:02 am by Blueswan »

joewtwins

• Pawn
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2013, 10:04:50 am »

Buy them all. sort them into a 5000 count box, throw the boxes into a big box or bin (Then throw that in the basement or attic) for safekeeping.

Then take it easy with the wife and kid, and play a few games here and there until they want to play. Or find a group who will regularly play.

If it doesn't work out like you expect in a few years, separate out your sets, put them back in the boxes, and sell them on e-bay or BGG or something similar.

Good luck my friend.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2013, 10:25:53 am »

I also discovered that I'm not nearly as good as I thought I was. These guys had very little experience with Dominion and would gladly experiment with Scout/Spy/Chancellor and questioned why I would want to trash Estates in the early game. But they VERY quickly caught on and I only won 3 out of the 6 games (we played first a couple of rounds of 4 player dominion, and then played 3 player for the remaining 4 games after one guy left) - which was cool since it would have been less fun if I had been clearly superior. (but still, it hurt my ego slightly that I'm obviously still pretty bad at the game).
Winning 50% of games is average in two player games, but not bad in 3-4 player games.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2013, 05:29:19 pm »

Winning 50% of games is average in two player games, but not bad in 3-4 player games.

Also in 3 player, shuffle luck and seating order play an even larger factor, especially seating order. So, if you went last each time, winning half the games is actually pretty good.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 22 queries.