Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Which to buy next...  (Read 1785 times)

craig15

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Which to buy next...
« on: September 21, 2011, 03:24:06 pm »

I currently have Dominion and Seaside.  I would eventually like to collect all the sets but that will come over time.

What set should I buy next and why?  I think I'll hold off on Alchemy for now...so the choices (obviously) would be Prosperity, Intrigue, or Cornucopia.  I have a slight bit of playing experience with each of them but I have not explored all the cards in any of those sets.

Thanks for your thoughts.

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
Re: Which to buy next...
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 03:38:59 pm »

There are no bad decisions there.  I guess it depends on the kind of player you are.  If you're interested in strategy and deck-building, go Prosperity.  If you're interested in cards that have strategic decisions built in to the actual playing of them, go Intrigue.  For more of a "fun" set (which I consider Seaside to be), go Cornucopia.

Anchen

• Herbalist
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 03:39:34 pm »

I think it depends what you/your group likes the most.  I think prosperity is probably the most game changing just because of how much colonies/platinum I feel change how the game is played.  A lot of more intricate card engines are given time to get going in a colony game as it is much harder to consistently get 11 than it was to get 8.  Intrigue is quite close though as it has a lot of interesting attacks that aren't as straight forward as the other sets, and in general has a lot of cool action set ups.  Cornucopia I think has a lot of interesting cards to build on top of the other expansions but I don't know how much I like it on it's own.  It's also smaller in general than either Intrigue or Prosperity barring the prize cards.  I'd personally probably go with Prosperity, then Intrigue, then cornucopia.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4384
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 03:42:47 pm »

If you're interested in strategy and deck-building, go Prosperity. 
I'm gonna take some issue with this, not that prosperity doesn't have it, I just think the other sets have it too. I suspect what you mean is long-term strategy and engine-building, which is what prosperity has got gobs of.

To the OP: yeah, look at the cards in the sets that are out there, and then pick based on that. My personal favourite is intrigue, but different people have different tastes.

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 03:54:24 pm »

If you're interested in strategy and deck-building, go Prosperity. 
I'm gonna take some issue with this, not that prosperity doesn't have it, I just think the other sets have it too. I suspect what you mean is long-term strategy and engine-building, which is what prosperity has got gobs of.

Agreed.  Yes, that's a much better way to say what I was trying to say.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 06:15:11 pm »

The question occurs so frequently on BoardGameGeek that someone decided to create a buyers guide http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/697272/a-buyers-guide-to-dominion-which-standalone-or-exp. Perhaps we could have a similar "sticky" thread somewhere on these forums as it's bound to come up again and again.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.