Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Attempts to pull the leader away  (Read 2467 times)

BitTorrent

• Bishop
  • Respect: +58
    • View Profile
Attempts to pull the leader away
« on: February 23, 2013, 04:12:03 am »

As I am climbing the leaderboard too, I wanna know what will exactly happened when I win games so I recorded these:

Yesterday I played 9 games and win all of them(yes, 9-0 winning streak), 4 of them against yaron(the current leader), another 4 against some top 10 players within the board. And this is what happened:

Yesterday

Today

So what I found is that
1. No matter what happened your 3SD would not increase most of the time.
2. It seems that a win can give you some 0.3 - 0.4 points of increase in base skill value while losing a game would cost a similar amount, if you have a similar level with your opponent. Since I have earned some 3.0 points of base skill from 9 victories(no losses) this can be determined accordingly.
3. Winning doesn't give you significantly more decrease in your 3SD than losing a game, since my 3SD range did not decrease by a significant amount after all these games (just decreased by 0.25 afterall)
4. The only way for your 3SD to increase is actually doing nothing, you can see the 3SD value of Acleveralias (current rank 7 player) is increasing after he did not log a game in a day.

Anyway. My 11 game winning streak just ended a few minutes ago. Winning streaks are great for climbing the ladder I think. :D
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 04:30:01 am by BitTorrent »

ksasaki

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +33
    • View Profile
Re: Attempts to pull the leader away
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 11:18:26 am »

I don't know, I played probably about 15 games yesterday and lost 11, many to players with no rankings.  I expected my rating to decrease by -5 at least, so it does seem like the actual increase or decrease is probably +/- 0.5 maybe per game (irregardless of player skill).  I've also tried to play Hideyoshi multiple times but he seems to have stopped trying to play top ranked players after the ranking system came out.

OK I am just looking at the data and i clearly played 24 games.  I am an innovation nut what can i say.

It would be nice to get a result at the end of the game telling you how much your rating increased / decreased (just a number that told you what the net on that game alone was, not necessarily a running tally).
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 11:21:50 am by ksasaki »

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 11:25:35 am »

You know that this formula is public, right? 

http://dominion.isotropic.org/faq/#leaderboard

http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Isotropic#Levels_and_Leaderboard

It uses TrueSkill.  Play a lot with consistent results and your uncertainty goes down.  You don't want your uncertainty to go up, that means the system is less sure of where you are, penalizing you because "level" is defined as mean skill - uncertainty.

Win a lot and your mean skill rises.  Win against very good players and your skill rises even more.  Unregistered users don't count in the ranking.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 11:32:19 am »

I see you've looked at the FAQ linked from the leaderboard, but dougz hasn't put the TrueSkill section in yet.  If you want to know exactly how the ranking system works then you can read the explanation in the Dominion FAQ.  The implementation for Innovation is the same.

PPE: Ninja'ed by theory, but I'll leave this for the comment that the TrueSkill explanation isn't in the Innovation FAQ.

BitTorrent

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 12:07:23 pm »

I don't know, I played probably about 15 games yesterday and lost 11, many to players with no rankings.  I expected my rating to decrease by -5 at least, so it does seem like the actual increase or decrease is probably +/- 0.5 maybe per game (irregardless of player skill).  I've also tried to play Hideyoshi multiple times but he seems to have stopped trying to play top ranked players after the ranking system came out.

OK I am just looking at the data and i clearly played 24 games.  I am an innovation nut what can i say.

It would be nice to get a result at the end of the game telling you how much your rating increased / decreased (just a number that told you what the net on that game alone was, not necessarily a running tally).

It seems that this ranking system is not a live one, it only refreshes once per day after all these game logging is prepared, instead of generating a new ranking for you dynamically. So posting a rank gain/loss after each match may be a difficult one.

Well usually I play with higher ranked players, preferably tier 1 players on the list. Don't really wanna play a lot with newbies or unranked people, not because I am annoyed but I don't want to scare some random newbie from this game, you know we are just professionals in taking away others' fun  :P

ksasaki

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +33
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 01:17:42 pm »

How do you define "registered user?"  is that the red dot next to their name?

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 04:01:58 pm »

Yes, users with the red dot are logged in.

BitTorrent

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 03:55:42 am »

Keep moving you old broken tree  ;D

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 20 queries.