Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 106  All

Author Topic: Mafia XXII: Bankers Beware -- GAME OVER, SCUM WIN  (Read 220111 times)

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
Mafia XXII: Bankers Beware -- GAME OVER, SCUM WIN
« on: February 20, 2013, 10:39:00 pm »

Mafia XXII: Bankers Beware

First, a little theme music:

And now, empty out your wallets and open up your checking accounts, because you are headed for the Bank of Robz!

The cool thing about this game is that each night phase will take place in a world map, RPG-style dungeon of sorts. At game start, each player will only be able to see a small part of the map, but as you explore, more will be revealed to you. Your location is very important--it effects who you can target, who can target you, etc. But most importantly, it effects which powers you can access.

In this game, all players will either be Scum-aligned Mountebanks, or Town-aligned Coppersmiths (and it will be full random). No town player will have abilities beyond any other at game start. There is no player who is "the Cop" or "the Doctor," for instance.

Various rooms of the world map (henceforth, "the Bank") contain shops ("Vaults" for flavor purposes) where players can purchase night powers. The available powers in the starting rooms are of course very weak, but eventually you may gain access to rooms designed for wealthier patrons, with better powers. You may even chance upon some secret rooms, where strange and unusual powers await.

Powers (henceforth, "items") can be purchased with coins. Coins can be earned through a variety of ways, though they may not be apparent at game start.

That's all you need to know for now. Let me stress that though this sounds a bit wild, the core gameplay will still be traditional mafia-style. If you played my previous game, Mafia XI: Find Yourself in the Courtyard Masquerade, you know what you're in for. Just like that game, this one WILL BE BALANCED.

Player List:
1. Jimm
2. raerae -- Lynched Day 6
3. yuma -- Killed Night 4
4. ashersky -- Lynched Day 5
5. Insomniac -- Killed Night 5
6. Eevee -- Vengekilled Day 6
7. Jorbles
8. liopoil -- Killed Night 2
9. Archetype (replaced sparky5856) -- Lynched Day 4
10. mcmcsalot -- Killed Night 3
11. sudgy -- Vengekilled Day 6
12. xeiron -- Killed Night 1
13. Lekkit -- Lynched Day 3
14. Ozle -- Modkilled Night 4
15. Kooshie -- Lynched Day 1
16. mail-mi -- Lynched Day 2

FAQ #1

Only two types of PMs were sent out. Here they are:

Role PM for Coppersmiths
Thanks for opening up an account with the Bank of Robz! I see that you are a Town-Aligned Coppersmith. You win when all Mafia-aligned players are under arrest or dead.

Each night, you will be able to move throughout the various rooms of the Bank, purchasing items from various vaults. You begin the game with $3.

You can’t see the whole Bank, nor will you know where the other players are, though certain items may change this. Accordingly, you get a link to a map of the Bank that only you can see. Here it is:

As you discover new rooms, I will update your map. As you can see, any room adjacent to a room you have visited shows up on the map. You can’t see what’s in the room, though, until you’ve visited it at least once.

Please confirm via PM.

Role PM for Mountebanks
Thanks for opening up an account with the Bank of Robz! I see that you are a Mafia-aligned Mountebank. How terrifying! You win when your faction constitutes at least half the remaining players, you brute.

You may communicate with your partners in your qt right now and during all night phases. Here is your qt: REDACTED

Each night, you will be able to move throughout the various rooms of the Bank, purchasing items from various vaults. You begin the game with $3.

You can’t see the whole Bank, nor will you know where the other players are (except for your partners), though certain items may change this. Accordingly, you get a link to a map of the Bank that only you and your partners can see. Here it is: REDACTED

As you discover new rooms, I will update your map. As you can see, any room adjacent to a room you have visited shows up on the map. You can’t see what’s in the room, though, until you’ve visited it at least once.

At the end of the night phase, one of you or your partners may perform the factional kill. If your kill succeeds, the player you chose will be “captured” and taken to whichever of the 2 Captured Players Vaults you choose to lock him up in. You will also have access to both of those qts, but don't post in them! Living players may gain access to those qts at some point, and you wouldn't want to give yourself away by gloating over the captured players.

Here are those qts:
REDACTED

One of you or your partners may also perform a special move, Pillage. During the end of the night phase, you may name a player. You will steal half that player’s coins. If you are in the same room as that player, you will steal all his coins. Any scum can perform this move, including the scum who is performing the factional kill.

Please confirm via PM or in the Scum QT.

FAQ #2

Hopefully this goes without saying, but absolutely NO sharing qts, moderator-supplied information, links to spreadsheet maps, etc., with other players anywhere. Even if you're out of the game! Because "dead" players will still be part of the game, and may end up communicating with still-active players. So no bending the rules, even if you're strictly out of the game.

FAQ #3

Remember that some players may have access to much less--or much more--information than you. This may make their lies seem more credible or their truths less credible. Or vice versa. Be on your guard.

FAQ #4

You will earn $$$ for doing various things. You have no idea what earns you $$$, and you will never know. When I tell you how much money you have, it might be much more--or much less--than you expected.

FAQ #5

Movement! You can only enter rooms that border your room with an arrow. Some rooms are adjacent, but don't actually connect. Here's how much it costs to enter a room:

Cost to move to a Copper Room, Hallway, and all other rooms
$1

Cost to enter a Silver Room
$2
$1, if Silver Key purchased by your faction
$1 after Night 2

Cost to enter a Gold Room
$5
$2, if Gold Key purchased by your faction
$2 after Night 3

Cost to enter a Platinum Room
$9
$3 if Platinum Key purchased by your faction
$3 after Night 5

Basically, unless the room is special, it costs $1 to move to it. When you've been to a room, you can see everything in it (but not everyone). I'll update your maps accordingly. I'm not going to put the description of items on the map, because they don't fit, but PM me and I'll tell you if I forget.

Moves happen at once. So, everybody moves to one new room at once. Then everybody who wants to move again, that all happens at once. This means the item you want might be bought by the time you get to the room. If two players try to buy an item at the same time, we will head to auction.

You can make as many moves per night as you want, as long as you have the cash. You can only make 1 purchase, though, unless you have extra buys.

FAQ #6

Here is the Order of Operations

Role PMs are sent
Night 0 begins
Players submit moves
Coin update
Day 1 begins
Lynch
Coin update
Night 1 begins
Players submit moves
Players submit orders
All orders resolve
Coin update
Day 2 begins
Lynch
Coin update
Night 2 begins

Basically, we are having a night start, but nobody will be able to use regular items* or perform actions (that's what "orders" are). So no one will die here.

*Some items can be used at times other than the action resolution stage.

FAQ #7

Rooms are color coded.

Orange-ish/tan = Copper Room
Really light blue = Silver Room
Bright yellow = Gold Room
White = Platinum Room
Grey = Hallway
Red = Captured (Killed by Scum) Players Vault
Faint Red = Jail for Arrested (Lynched or Killed by Town) Players
Dark Blue = Poorhouse
Faint Green = Garden
Neon Green = Unknown
Bright Pink = Uknown

Silver Rooms offer better items than Copper Rooms, Gold Rooms offer even better items, and Platinum Rooms even better items than that. The other rooms may have items, trigger events, or do nothing.

FAQ #8

More on movement: Everybody does one thing at a time. So you can all tell me a million things that you want to do, but they happen one at a time. Let's say, Ozle says "I want to buy X, and then move to the west." What happens? Ozle buys X, ashersky does Y, Eevee buys Z, etc., etc. Then, when all that has transpired, Ozle moves to the west, assuming he has enough money to do so. And everybody else does their one thing.

FAQ #9

You always (well, almost always) get to know what an item does before you buy it. If you're in a room with an item and you don't know what it does, I may have just forgotten to tell you. PM me!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 08:23:41 pm by Robz888 »
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia XXII: Bankers Beware
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 10:39:08 pm »

Mafia Ruleset

Game Rules:

General Gameplay and Etiquette:
1. You may not quote private Moderator-supplied information (either real or fabricated) of any kind, UNLESS GIVEN MOD PERMISSION.  Paraphrasing (for role claims, etc.) is acceptable.
2. There is to be NO personal communication outside of the forum postings unless your role PM specifically allows it.  Mafia members may communicate at night and during the confirmation stage.
3. If you have a role with a Night action your choices are due to me by the posted deadline (generally 48 hours from Night start).  If I do not receive your choice via PM by the posted deadline you will forfeit your actions.  In case of multiple submissions, the last valid one before the deadline will be used.
4. Roles with Night actions will not be able to submit an action on Night 0 (i.e. during the confirmation stage).
5. Any player with a Night action may instead submit a “No Action” PM to let the Mod know that you do not want to perform your expected action that Night phase.
6. As a general rule you should aim for one post every 48 hours, minimum, to keep the game moving. Players who do not post every 48 hours will be issued at most 2 warnings. Any player who has previously been warned twice is subject to modkill per another player's request. Please inform us that you will be V/LA if you cannot post every 48 hours.

Voting, Deadlines, and Player Death:
1. A simple majority (rounded up) of all living members must agree on one person for a lynch to occur prior to deadline.
2. Once you have reached a simple majority no further unvoting will change someone’s fate.  Further votes will also be ignored.
3. Once a player is lynched the game enters twilight until I post a death scene; all players including the one who was lynched may continue to post during twilight.
4. Please submit votes as: Vote: PlayerName.  Votes will NOT be counted if they are not bold or do not follow this syntax!  Obvious abbreviations or nicknames will be counted so long as they are unambiguous.
5. Please submit vote revocations as either Unvote: PlayerName or Unvote. Unvotes are not necessary before changing votes.
6. You may Vote: No Lynch - a simple majority of these vote types are required to send the game to Night phase without a lynch.
7. This game will generally have 2 week deadlines. We will use bankable deadlines. Stay tuned for more info.  If a player or No Lynch does not have a simple majority at deadline, no lynch will occur, and the game will go into night.
8. Once you are killed (either via lynch or night kill) you may no longer post. This means that you do not even get a “Bah” post. The dead in this game are silent.
9. Do not edit or delete posts.  We don't want some players having more information than others.  If you want to clarify posts, feel free to double post.

Miscellaneous/Mechanics:
1. Bold, blue text is reserved for the Mod.  No invisible/small text is allowed, nor is cryptography.
2. If you have an issue/problem with the game, please PM the Mod privately.  Do not post issues/complaints in the game thread.
3. The Mod may make mistakes - please point out any mistakes gently.  Mistakes will be corrected where possible, but sometimes mistakes are made that cannot be reversed.  These will stand as final to be commiserated over after the game.
4. Please bold all requests to the Mod so that they don’t get missed.
5. Rule violations will be dealt with according to their severity, up to and including a Modkill.
6. If you anticipate being unavailable for more than a 48-hour period please post a notice to that effect in the thread.  Treat this game as a commitment.  Be considerate – don’t leave us hanging.

The Golden Rule:

Please remember that this is a game and your main objective is to have fun! Be considerate of each other, don’t get personal, and enjoy the game.

Helpful Links:

« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 10:43:24 pm by Robz888 »

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 10:40:50 pm »

/follow at least, maybe /in

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 10:41:24 pm »

tentative /in. Want to reserve a spot if I end up having time to play.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 10:43:07 pm »

/in

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 10:47:09 pm »

/in
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

raerae

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: raerae
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 11:09:46 pm »

Available to sub.

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 11:35:37 pm »

will not miss this game /in
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 11:54:46 pm »

Yep!

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 01:31:39 am »

This game sounds weird. I'm in, but if I end up in three games at once I will be lurky in all of them.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 01:32:04 am »

This game sounds weird. I'm in, but if I end up in three games at once I will be lurky in all of them.

Unless it's full... is it full?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 12:29:49 pm »

Will follow, maybe.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 02:16:48 pm »

/in!

are the scum plain goons, or do they start with their power, or do they, like town, get powers in the same way with coins?

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2013, 02:21:25 pm »

/in!

are the scum plain goons, or do they start with their power, or do they, like town, get powers in the same way with coins?

They may start with some powers, and will also be able to purchase powers.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2013, 02:25:06 pm »

....and town probably start with a power too, like the power to move between rooms or something.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 02:28:13 pm »

So tempted...
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

sparky5856

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2013, 03:11:44 pm »

Maybe this is the game I need to get my mafia back on track, so I'll /in

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 04:04:38 pm »

how do you not auto in me to your game, rude.
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2013, 05:05:58 pm »

I know I've said I'll only be in one game at once, but this one sounds interesting...  I'll guess I'll be in.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2013, 06:07:43 pm »

I know I've said I'll only be in one game at once, but this one sounds interesting...  I'll guess I'll be in.

It always starts this way, be warned you will never come up with a good reason not to /in
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2013, 06:40:12 pm »

I've said I'll only ever be in two games at once... I hope I can stay to that :P

I'm going to have a hard time ever voting sudgy this game because of last game...

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2013, 06:42:30 pm »

I've said I'll only ever be in two games at once... I hope I can stay to that :P

I'm going to have a hard time ever voting sudgy this game because of last game...

Man, so many time I've wanted to upvote a post but then forget that it's in the forum games thread...
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2013, 07:02:26 pm »

Can I backup mod? this would be my first time, and I would like to learn how to mod a game.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2013, 07:04:36 pm »

Can I backup mod? this would be my first time, and I would like to learn how to mod a game.

This is probably the wrong game for that, given its complexity and special rules.  I'd suggest a normal game first.  You can back-up mod MXIV when it starts, for sure.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2013, 07:05:43 pm »

This is probably the wrong game for that, given its complexity and special rules.  I'd suggest a normal game first.  You can back-up mod MXIV when it starts, for sure.
Okay thanks! I'm already in two games, so I'm not gonna /in this one.

P.S. if you think that in counted, /out
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 106  All

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 19 queries.