Pages: [1]

Author Topic: :0  (Read 4256 times)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
:0
« on: February 20, 2013, 06:45:08 pm »

Innovation came in today.  I reread the rules, and noticed, I'm not supposed to be able to look through my opponent's piles!  The interesting thing is that the art for each card appears on the black hex, and that would imply that splaying such that your black hex is revealed has this ever so slight tactical disadvantage of allowing your opponent to know what one of your cards is (The card that would care the most about this is almost certainly Publications.)

Of course, if you remember everything, you would know what all the piles are.  Can we have an innovation version of the memory versus machine drama?  Or do I need to make an external add-on to induce drama.  Because I am willing to do that.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6123
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
Re: :0
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 07:03:20 pm »

Does the rulebook actually say that explicitly?

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 07:06:49 pm »

I remember reading that rule; I always figured the point of it was so that I can't annoy you by asking to look through all your piles every turn.

Of course, if you remember everything, you would know what all the piles are.  Can we have an innovation version of the memory versus machine drama?  Or do I need to make an external add-on to induce drama.  Because I am willing to do that.

What if I tuck a card from my hand?

BitTorrent

• Bishop
  • Respect: +58
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 07:08:48 pm »

Does the rulebook actually say that explicitly?

For the pile issue, yes. I think it is mentioned back at the base set rules already which you are not allowed to look though your opponent's pile, although I do think you can ask for the amount of cards in that pile, if it is unsplayed

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 07:13:29 pm »

I don't think you can even ask how many cards are in the pile.

"Above your reference card is your board.  Your board will contain up to five piles, one for each color of card in the game.  You will never have a pile of mixed colors, as cards always go into their matching pile.  You may always look through your piles, but may not look through opposing players' piles."

"opposing players" would seem to suggest that in teams, it's ok to look through your teammate's pile.

The next paragraph is about your hand.  I don't see any evidence that Tree's assertion is correct.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 07:16:01 pm »

I remember reading that rule; I always figured the point of it was so that I can't annoy you by asking to look through all your piles every turn.

What if I tuck a card from my hand?

From my reading of the base rules, whether a tucked card is revealed to all players is ambiguous.  Strictly speaking, it even seems ambiguous whether the player tucking can look at the card. 
My interpretation is, since it would be rather mechanically difficult to conceal the identity of a card during the entire tucking process, it is probably intended for everyone to see the identity of a card as it is tucked, though not afterwards.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 07:20:29 pm by popsofctown »

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6123
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 07:40:12 pm »

This seems to be an extraordinarily stupid rule.  I get that you don't want to slow down the game, but what, am I supposed to be covering up my cards if I look through my pile?  Can I study his splays and look up what cards he must have via the black hexagon and/or symbol combination and/or age?  How am I supposed to know what effect splaying will have on his symbol counts?  In a 2v2 game, do I have to run across and engage in secret machinations with my partner to look at his piles?

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 07:40:15 pm »
+1

Stupid rules made to work around human bugs in face to face play == sadness.

I am glad iso doesn't implement them.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 07:44:35 pm »

Am I supposed to close my eyes when my opponent counts the cards in his deck? :)
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 07:49:51 pm »

I find it no worse than Dominion's rule stipulating that you may not look through your own discard pile.  Which dougz faithfully implemented.  Perhaps he has a different attitude towards innovation, or he didn't know about the rule, or he doesn't think those rules are as similar as I do.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 08:11:47 pm by popsofctown »

AngelKurisu

• Innovation Publisher
  • Respect: +63
    • View Profile
    • Asmadi Games
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 05:27:18 pm »
+1

It was a rule included to prevent excessive slowdown in play -- it's one that in tournament play can be ignored, and certainly in online play where technology makes things faster!

AngelKurisu

• Innovation Publisher
  • Respect: +63
    • View Profile
    • Asmadi Games
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 05:28:04 pm »
+5

I find it no worse than Dominion's rule stipulating that you may not look through your own discard pile.  Which dougz faithfully implemented.  Perhaps he has a different attitude towards innovation, or he didn't know about the rule, or he doesn't think those rules are as similar as I do.

Doug specifically asked about this, actually, when implementing the game.  I thought it'd be best for the online implementation to be able to see everything.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.