Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: A small expansion which doesn't contain any kingdom cards  (Read 14631 times)

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
Re: A small expansion which doesn't contain any kingdom cards
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2013, 11:21:18 am »

I still think the concept is super cool. I'm even fine if a third of the possibilities are useless or overpowered, because its not like you'll ever see them again.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2013, 12:12:47 pm »

I still think the concept is super cool. I'm even fine if a third of the possibilities are useless or overpowered, because its not like you'll ever see them again.

FWIW, I agree. I was (possible over) analyzing, and found the example of Settled Loan strange because was one on the useless side.

RTT

• Minion
  • Respect: +707
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2013, 07:44:15 am »

Another Idea: Productive X

choose an card X / costs between $3 and 5$

Name it Productive X

increase the costs by 1;

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2013, 02:02:05 pm »

Border ________
Cost +$3

--------

When you gain this, gain a cheaper card.

Worker's ________
Cost +$1

+1 Buy

Iron ________
Cost +$3

If this is an...

Action Card, +1 Action
Treasure Card, +$1
Victory Card, when you gain this, set it aside on your Island Mat.

(Taking a card out of your deck is like giving it +1 card, right?)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2013, 02:50:37 pm »

Worker's ________
Cost +$1

+1 Buy
Worker's Smithy is strictly worse than Margrave. Though it doesn't necessarily have to be a problem, because Worker's Smithy is so rare anyway.

This could lead to silly things with King's Court, if Bridge or even Highway is present. But I suppose that's fine.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2013, 02:54:59 pm »

Worker's Smithy is not strictly worse than Margrave. The Margrave "attack" has been a benefit to myself as the defender many times.

Iron___ doesn't make much sense on many cards. Tunnel? Cache? Merchant Ship?

I think that the "when gain" on Productive_ should be a "when buy". It could gain itself many times when the cost is reduced by 1.

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2013, 03:55:00 pm »

I think that the "when gain" on Productive_ should be a "when buy". It could gain itself many times when the cost is reduced by 1.

No it cannot, because all cost reducer reduce the cost of all copies, so any cheaper card is a different card (by cheaper I assume it is meant strictly cheaper, as Border Village and Haggler do). BTW, Border Border Village would be so awesome: buy one for $9, gain two Provinces.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2013, 05:24:42 pm »

No it cannot, because all cost reducer reduce the cost of all copies, so any cheaper card is a different card (by cheaper I assume it is meant strictly cheaper, as Border Village and Haggler do). BTW, Border Border Village would be so awesome: buy one for $9, gain two Provinces.

Another Idea: Productive X

choose an card X / costs between $3 and 5$

Name it Productive X

increase the costs by 1;

"Productive X" says "gain a card costing up to $3", not "gain a cheaper card" (which, if you want to be consistent with Border  Village, should say, "gain a card costing less than this").  Therefore it does indeed suffer from the problem that OAM described.

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2013, 09:19:52 pm »

"Productive X" says "gain a card costing up to $3", not "gain a cheaper card" (which, if you want to be consistent with Border  Village, should say, "gain a card costing less than this").  Therefore it does indeed suffer from the problem that OAM described.

Oh, ok, my mistake, I got confused because the order of the comments did not match the order of the posts with the proposals and assumed incorrectly.

RTT

• Minion
  • Respect: +707
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2013, 02:11:38 am »

Oh, ok, my mistake, I got confused because the order of the comments did not match the order of the posts with the proposals and assumed incorrectly.

Yes when you buy this is better !

One Armed Man

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2013, 01:24:31 pm »

I didn't see enough cost-reducers.

Small [Remote?] [Aged?]__
Cost -$1

If this is a Treasure or Action, when you play this, you may discard a card, If you do, "card effect."

Discount [Stored?] [Cached?] _
Cost -$1

When you gain this card, gain 2 coppers.

Annointed [Bishoped?]_
Cost -$1

If this is a Treasure or Action, when you play this, each other player can trash a card from their hand at the end of its effect.

And Just for Fun
Twin __
Cost +$2

When you buy this, gain an additional copy of it.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 01:26:47 pm by One Armed Man »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2013, 04:33:55 am »

Cost -$1

If this is a Treasure or Action, when you play this, you may discard a card, If you do, "card effect."

Discount [Stored?] [Cached?] _
Cost -$1

When you gain this card, gain 2 coppers.

Annointed [Bishoped?]_
Cost -$1

If this is a Treasure or Action, when you play this, each other player can trash a card from their hand at the end of its effect.

And Just for Fun
Twin __
Cost +$2

When you buy this, gain an additional copy of it.
I think the "If this is a Treasure or Action" cards just simply shouldn't be able to choose a non-treasure, non-action card.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

ahyangyi

• Bishop
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2013, 05:24:13 am »

Cost -$1

The problem is, of course, draw-to-X cards like Library or Jack-of-all-trades are actually improved with the discard effect. A Small Library lets you to Cellar one card in addition to what a normal Library does, and at a cheaper cost!

Perhaps it'd be better to just discard 2 cards afterwards. This is what brings Witch to Young Witch (of course there's also a Bane card... but see below). This is only exploitable when you discard all your cards (for example, storeroom). But you can't really do too much broken things without cards, so it's probably not broken.

By the way, I think we should generally forbid these negative template from Attacks. For example, imagine a Small (Young?) Sea Hag or a Small Saboteur. They will make the game way too slow. I don't think they're acceptable or fun, at all.

One Armed Man

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2013, 08:14:06 am »

Cost -$1

The problem is, of course, draw-to-X cards like Library or Jack-of-all-trades are actually improved with the discard effect. A Small Library lets you to Cellar one card in addition to what a normal Library does, and at a cheaper cost!

Perhaps it'd be better to just discard 2 cards afterwards. This is what brings Witch to Young Witch (of course there's also a Bane card... but see below). This is only exploitable when you discard all your cards (for example, storeroom). But you can't really do too much broken things without cards, so it's probably not broken.

By the way, I think we should generally forbid these negative template from Attacks. For example, imagine a Small (Young?) Sea Hag or a Small Saboteur. They will make the game way too slow. I don't think they're acceptable or fun, at all.
Even in regular dominion, you prefer hamlet to village in draw-up-to kinds of games. Small _ cards are weaker in the presence of sifters and discard attacks. Small_ cards don't work as well in multiples in most games.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2013, 09:48:56 am »

Just my internal thoughts on templating and formatting. Things in [brackets] are placeholders.

[Modifier Cards] are a new way to add variety to your Dominion games. They allow for [a bazillion] new cards, and are compatible with all existing Dominion expansions.

[how to choose which are used. Example: "When choosing your random kingdom, deal out one Modifier Card for each kingdom card. Return any inapplicable modifier cards to the modifier deck. (Those kingdom cards won't be modified this game.)] Indicate the modifications by placing each [modifier card] on the table next to its applicable kingdom randomizer card.

When you play a [modified] card, ignore its text. Instead, perform the text on its associated [modifier card]. Often, [modifier card]s will tell you to [act]. When a card instructs you to [act], insert the active text printed on the kingdom card (the text normally performed when you play the card) to which the [modifier card] is associated, and perform that text.

[Modifier card]s can also change the type(s) and cost of a kingdom card. They may increase, decrease, or set the cost (in coins or Potions), and they may add new types or overwrite existing types.

Some [modifier cards] may only modify a specific subset of cards, such as Victory cards, or cards costing from $2 to $3. These [modifier cards] will have this restriction printed on them. [reference the setup rules about how to fix inapplicable pairs.] If a [modifier card] has no restrictions, it may [modify] any kingdom card.

Some examples:

Noble -- +$2
Any --> Any - Victory

Act.
Worth 2VP

Noble has no restrictions, and may [modify] any kingdom card. Noble adds the Victory type to the [modified card]. (If the kingdom card is already a Victory card, it adds no types.) If the Noble card is a Treasure or Action, you may play it any time you could normally play a Treasure or Action. When you do, you follow the instructions of Noble, not the kingdom card. (In this case, Noble then tells you to act, performing the text of the kingdom card.) The Noble card is also worth an extra 2VP at the end of the game. Some Noble cards:

Noble Village -- $5
Action - Victory

+1 Card
+2 Actions
Worth 2VP

Some cards (like Victory cards and Curse cards) can't be played. If you can't play a card,  then any instructions (such as "Act") on a card are therefore irrelevant.

Noble Gardens -- $6
Victory

[Act.]

Worth 1 VP for every 10 cards in your deck (rounded down).
Worth 2VP

Some cards have effects at times other than when you play them (such as when you buy, gain, or trash them, "while this is in play", or at the end of the game). [Modifier cards] don't affect this text.

Noble Ill-Gotten Gains -- $7
Treasure - Victory

+$1
When you play this, you may gain a Copper, putting it into your hand.
Worth 2VP
--------
When you gain this, each other player gains a Curse.

Some [modifier cards] have restrictions as to what cards they can modify.

Manmade -- -$1
Treasure --> Action

Act.

Manmade may only modify a Treasure card. It replaces the Treasure type with the Action type. It doesn't affect any other types the card may have.

Manmade Talisman -- $3
Action

+$1
--------
While this is in play, when you buy a card costing $4 or less that is not a Victory card, gain a copy of it.

Manmade Harem -- $5
Action - Victory

+$2
Worth 2VP

Some cards act at times other than when you play them.

Lazy -- =$2
Action --> Action - Reaction
Costing $2 or $3

+1 Card
+$1
--------
When another player plays an Attack card, you may set this aside from your hand. If you do, at the start of your next turn, Act, then return this to your hand.

Imported -- -$1
Action --> Action - Duration

At the start of your next turn, Act.

This is how it all works in my head, anyways.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 09:52:37 am by Drab Emordnilap »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2013, 11:06:20 am »
+1

Manmade Banks are horrible. Natural Banks all the way.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2013, 11:14:00 am »

I'm sure there is some edge case scenario involving Black Market when a Manmade Bank is actually better.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2013, 11:14:44 am »

Hey, if you can come up with better names for cards, be my guest. I'm awful at that part.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2013, 11:18:55 am »

Hey, if you can come up with better names for cards, be my guest. I'm awful at that part.

Not a dig at the name, but the function. :P Bank would be terrible as an action card. It literally does nothing unless you have Black Market.

@Awaclus, the edge case is TR, Procession and KC, maybe Golem.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2013, 11:20:51 am »

Iron___ doesn't make much sense on many cards. Tunnel? Cache? Merchant Ship?

Do you mean thematically, or mechanically? I mean, yeah, if you set aside an Iron Tunnel, then you can't use the reaction, but it's like you bought 2 Great Halls for $6, which is still a thing sometimes.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2013, 11:48:50 am »

Noble -- +$2
Any --> Any - Victory

Act.
Worth 2VP
Noble Feast seems like a good buy ;)

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2013, 11:57:20 am »

Noble -- +$2
Any --> Any - Victory

Act.
Worth 2VP
Noble Feast seems like a good buy ;)
Most of the oneshot cards are redundant to add these parts to.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2013, 12:13:19 pm »

I don't think its possible to make every single combination useful without having a crazy amount of qualifications on every modifier as to what they're allowed to modify. There are plenty of boards already where Feast isn't useful; I'm fine if sometimes Noble Feast comes out and no one buys it.

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2013, 02:34:38 pm »

The Noble ___ seems simple enough, but already has some strange things:

Noble Great Hall and Noble Tunnel are strictly better than Duchy (assuming they would be worth 3 and 4 VP respectively) by a far margin. Noble Island seems like it would be pretty great. Noble Harem seems interesting, although not much more interesting than Harem itself.

Fun thing: Noble Curse would be basically identical to an Estate.

Cards that interact with Victory cards in a positive way would be much better (spamming Noble Scout seem like it may work to keep the engine going through heavy greening). Noble Crossroads in particular would be amazing. Noble Hoard would be pretty interesting, but not clearly dominant competing with Provinces at $8.

Really cheap cards seem like they would be way better if the increase does not break the 4/5 barrier. Noble Chapel seems a lot better than Chapel with 3/4, although it probably means both players would get +2VP and the game would be the same as with Chapel.

Now I think the coolest part about this general idea is that a really simple idea like "substract two cards and make a modificator" already brings up a lot of strange interactions.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2013, 03:20:26 pm »

The Noble ___ seems simple enough, but already has some strange things:

Noble Great Hall and Noble Tunnel are strictly better than Duchy (assuming they would be worth 3 and 4 VP respectively) by a far margin. Noble Island seems like it would be pretty great. Noble Harem seems interesting, although not much more interesting than Harem itself.

Fun thing: Noble Curse would be basically identical to an Estate.

Cards that interact with Victory cards in a positive way would be much better (spamming Noble Scout seem like it may work to keep the engine going through heavy greening). Noble Crossroads in particular would be amazing. Noble Hoard would be pretty interesting, but not clearly dominant competing with Provinces at $8.

Really cheap cards seem like they would be way better if the increase does not break the 4/5 barrier. Noble Chapel seems a lot better than Chapel with 3/4, although it probably means both players would get +2VP and the game would be the same as with Chapel.

Now I think the coolest part about this general idea is that a really simple idea like "substract two cards and make a modificator" already brings up a lot of strange interactions.
The Settled X card in the original post increases the price by $3 for the 2VP and requires a card costing $2-3. That doesn't have the "strictly better than Duchy" problem with cheap Victory kingdom cards and also doesn't let the Peddler player get additional 16VP for free.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.