Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: new tournament  (Read 8583 times)

ksasaki

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +33
    • View Profile
new tournament
« on: February 20, 2013, 10:09:02 am »

I was just made aware of this board by theory today.  I saw someone else wanted to start a tournament but it kind of died.  Can we start a new one?  I'd be interested!

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Re: new tournament
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 10:25:51 am »

Is there a good reason it wouldn't just die again?  The dropout rate was like 80% on the last one.  You might want to screen people before letting them enter this time, maybe requiring them to arrange to play a game with you before they become official entrants (just to demonstrate that they care enough to arrange times to play and all)

JimKam

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 10:43:55 am »

Maybe a 8 player swiss can be organised in one or two day?
Each game cost ~ 15 mins and each match will be 45 mins (Best of 3)
Should be okay

ksasaki

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 10:52:26 am »

I think 4-8 player swiss would be good.  I in fact have a friend who used to be a Chess TD or TO so he knows the protocol.  I think it would be a fun weekend thing, you know maybe ~6GMT to try to accommodate as many people as possible.  Of course we would need to exchange time zones beforehand, so if we were all on EST for instance, we could just pick a time that was best for everyone. 

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 11:22:44 am »
+1

For me to finish my games in 15 minutes you are going to have to add an external timer to isotropic, because i think a lot before i make my moves.  Captain Frisk already has me blacklisted for this.  I usually don't exceed three minutes thinking, but I take 2 minutes thinking so consistently that my games are often pretty long. 

Like, if I have a timer, I'm happy to abide by it, but I'm not comfortable hurrying up and making as many suboptimal moves as I feel guilted into making in order for things to run smoothly.

Maybe if everyone else plays fast enough for 15 minutes you can just ban me from the tournament though.

ksasaki

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 11:29:22 am »

I personally don't mind how long you take to think, I like to think a lot too.  To me it's like the difference between blitz and standard chess, the games are much less sloppy when played with a longer time control.  However, if we want to actually finish the tournament in a day or two, I'd probably say we need to enforce ~30 minute time limit on the games.  15 though I agree is kind of ridiculous, even I would feel rushed and I feel like I generally play pretty quickly.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 11:57:20 am »

is there any way to implement a chess clockish thing?  maybe an external app exists that can do that.  Slap the button and all.

timchen

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: allfail
  • Respect: +234
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 08:48:15 pm »

If there is a tournament I want to be in!

I really want to see how I suck at this game :p

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 09:03:36 pm »
+1

For me to finish my games in 15 minutes you are going to have to add an external timer to isotropic, because i think a lot before i make my moves.  Captain Frisk already has me blacklisted for this.  I usually don't exceed three minutes thinking, but I take 2 minutes thinking so consistently that my games are often pretty long. 

Like, if I have a timer, I'm happy to abide by it, but I'm not comfortable hurrying up and making as many suboptimal moves as I feel guilted into making in order for things to run smoothly.

Maybe if everyone else plays fast enough for 15 minutes you can just ban me from the tournament though.

Yeah... I can't see how a game would be under 15 minutes.  Maybe for people who know all the cards already without reading the text, but if I get Fermentation or Paper going and draw three to five cards with a single action... I need a minute to read and evaluate if each is worth melding.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 09:12:07 pm »

The cardboard box says a game takes 30-60 minutes.  A little of that is physical manipulation, but probably not 15 minutes.

marco2012

• Scout
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 12:53:54 am »

Yeah... I can't see how a game would be under 15 minutes.  Maybe for people who know all the cards already without reading the text, but if I get Fermentation or Paper going and draw three to five cards with a single action... I need a minute to read and evaluate if each is worth melding.

Let's calculate the time used this way.

For 2 player base game, a game would normally about 15-18 turns (by my observation)
Each turn, each player have 2 actions. Therefore, the game would have about 60-72 actions.
If you and your opponent move 10 seconds per move, the game would be about 10-12 minutes.
Therefore, it is possible to have a game below 15 minutes.
(10 second is for those who are familiar with all the cards)

BitTorrent

• Bishop
  • Respect: +58
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 02:16:01 am »

The cardboard box says a game takes 30-60 minutes.  A little of that is physical manipulation, but probably not 15 minutes.

If you have ever seen the games I played with marco... :D :D
6 games in 50 minutes, still enough for a break.

ksasaki

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 10:52:05 am »

10 seconds per move?  I feel like it takes just that long to execute all the echoes sometimes haha, let alone thinking about what to do!  But maybe most of you guys play base.  In that case, I could see every move taking less time.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2013, 11:04:45 am »

Well some actions are way less than 10 seconds (e.g. if you have no options early on, or when you are clearly just going to be pumping Gunpowder for another couple turns).

ksasaki

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2013, 11:44:15 am »

But what if you have 5 cards in hand, 5 cards in the forecast, 3 stacks with 2-3 echoes each?  Just thinking / executing all that would take at least a minute.  But I suppose that is why you prefer base theory!

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 02:21:04 pm »

Well some actions are way less than 10 seconds (e.g. if you have no options early on, or when you are clearly just going to be pumping Gunpowder for another couple turns).

I usually think before each and every Gunpowder activation.  It does have an opportunity cost. 

marco2012

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2013, 12:53:04 pm »

One question for this one: Any news for tournament?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2013, 07:08:26 pm »

After the spike in popularity this might be a good idea again.

HB

• Steward
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2013, 11:35:47 pm »

I might play but I don't think I can do games in 15 minutes, they take me more like 30.

ancientcampus

• Navigator
  • Respect: +52
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2013, 12:36:02 am »

After the spike in popularity this might be a good idea again.

Seconded!

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2013, 05:54:36 am »

Would the tournament be with Echoes?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

ksasaki

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2013, 09:46:02 am »

I would prefer an echoes tourney, but I don't know how many people play echoes.  It seems like there are quite a few of the "dominion folk" who do play echoes though.  Would love to see this happen!

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2013, 11:42:32 am »
+1

I think participation might be better if we do base.  It will also be easier to run.  And I think base needs a smaller sample size to select may the best man win, though I could be wrong about that.

marco2012

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2013, 12:38:35 pm »

I would prefer base game as tournament. It is because:

1) base game is quicker and simplier. If all players are high-ranked, it is possible to have echo game (or even figure game, if it is possible). It is possible to have a 15 min echo game if both players are experienced. But I assume it is not the case

2) Players may be at different time zone, and it may be hard to find a time to play. Therefore, we need a shorter game (i.e. base game)

eyhung

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2013, 01:48:42 pm »

I would prefer echoes.  Why not run two tournaments then, one for each?

fprefect

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2013, 09:46:51 am »

would be in.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.276 seconds with 20 queries.