Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Highway  (Read 22466 times)

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
Re: Highway
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2013, 03:57:19 pm »
+3

I like that you point out the TR and KC don't combo with Highway like they do with Bridge, but you might also want to point out one other major non-combo partner: Gang of Misfits.  I played a game the other day with both cards, and had it in my head that GoM would let me copy $5 cost cards after playing a single Highway.  Of course, given that GoM can only copy cards that cost less than it, my cunning plan did not work out in the way I expected...

Is "Gang of Misfits" something that comes from translation from another language? It's called "Band of Misfits" in English.

It's like Band of Misfits, but the sleeve is pulled halfway down the card.

Jerk of All trades

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2013, 04:31:58 pm »

I like that you point out the TR and KC don't combo with Highway like they do with Bridge, but you might also want to point out one other major non-combo partner: Gang of Misfits.  I played a game the other day with both cards, and had it in my head that GoM would let me copy $5 cost cards after playing a single Highway.  Of course, given that GoM can only copy cards that cost less than it, my cunning plan did not work out in the way I expected...

Is "Gang of Misfits" something that comes from translation from another language? It's called "Band of Misfits" in English.

It's like Band of Misfits, but the sleeve is pulled halfway down the card.

And if two are played the same turn they fight for territory and duchesses?

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2013, 10:52:53 am »
+1

Just played a game with Highway and Altar, which is a hell of a combination. Trash stuff and gain Highways with Altar, and you only need 3 Highways in play to be able to gain Provinces. With extra actions this is a beast.

hsiale

• Duke
  • Respect: +244
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2013, 06:16:16 am »

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130301/log.50893139a2e67cff211cd7e5.1362135977677.txt - a Highway/Market Square game I played today. Should have bought 1 or 2 Silvers earlier as getting first Highway was hard. Turn 17 I made cost of all cards 0 and got 11 buys to buy 3 Provinces and 8 Duchies.

Squidd

• Golem
  • Respect: +603
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2013, 01:43:53 pm »

It's important to remember that not all +buys are created equal. I tried to build a Highway deck with only Spice Merchant, Salvager, and Contraband as possible +buys, and that really made it impossible to get the sort of results I wanted.

cluckyb

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2013, 02:41:21 pm »

It's important to remember that not all +buys are created equal. I tried to build a Highway deck with only Spice Merchant, Salvager, and Contraband as possible +buys, and that really made it impossible to get the sort of results I wanted.

Well yeah. If your +buy is terminal you need a village as well to really pull out the use. That's why Market/Market square work so well. Salvager is probably the worst because it anti synergizes with Highway. Spice Merchant I doubt is that much worse than something like Baron but still lacks the success of Market/Market Square/Workers Village

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2013, 02:43:32 pm »

The real issue with Trade Route, Spice Merchant and Salvager as your only +buys is that you can never use them to increase your deck size. For every extra Highway (or whatever) you get from their +buy, you lose a card from your deck, and eventually you run out of things to trash.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2013, 03:25:28 pm »

Well yeah. If your +buy is terminal you need a village as well to really pull out the use. That's why Market/Market square work so well. Salvager is probably the worst because it anti synergizes with Highway.

Salvager doesn't antisynergize with Highway in the same way Apprentice and Bishop do, though. Yes, with Highways in play you get less +$ for your Salvaging than you ordinarily would, but the +$ that you do get goes farther. So Salvager does the same thing with Highways in play that it does without Highways in play: "+1 buy, and enough money to buy back the thing you just trashed".

platykurtic

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2013, 07:08:38 pm »

Well yeah. If your +buy is terminal you need a village as well to really pull out the use. That's why Market/Market square work so well. Salvager is probably the worst because it anti synergizes with Highway.

Salvager doesn't antisynergize with Highway in the same way Apprentice and Bishop do, though. Yes, with Highways in play you get less +$ for your Salvaging than you ordinarily would, but the +$ that you do get goes farther. So Salvager does the same thing with Highways in play that it does without Highways in play: "+1 buy, and enough money to buy back the thing you just trashed".

That's true, although it breaks when things start hitting zero. Maybe you were planning to salvage a Dutchy to get the last few coins you need to buy a province, but if Dutchy costs 0$ and Province still costs 3$ or something, you're out of luck.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2013, 07:32:00 pm »

That's true, although it breaks when things start hitting zero. Maybe you were planning to salvage a Dutchy to get the last few coins you need to buy a province, but if Dutchy costs 0$ and Province still costs 3$ or something, you're out of luck.

But if Duchy costs $5 and Province still costs $8, you're also out of luck.

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2013, 11:52:06 pm »
+1

Village -> Salvager -> Highway -> Highway -> Highway -> Highway -> Highway -> Highway -> Profit
A man on a mission.

Taco Lobster

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +74
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2013, 04:46:42 pm »

It's already been pointed out that cards who care about costs less than their own cost don't combo (and sometimes nombo) with Highway.

I'll just take my double moron award for making a comment on something that was already addressed and getting the name of the card wrong, and sit here in the corner practicing reading comprehension.   :-[

Asklepios

• Duke
  • Respect: +116
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2013, 04:05:12 am »
+1

2. Trashing, live-draw, or sifting. For big Hwy turns to work, you really want to increase your odds pairing up your Hwy's &  +buys/gainers and not getting stopped dead by greens & coppers. Light trashing is perfectly acceptable - you don't need an ultra-lean deck or solid engine. A few (two - three) Warehouses can be great for enabling big Hwy turns, light trashing (particularly non-terminal like Loan) is more than enough to enable big Hwy chains, and as noted draw makes it even easier to line all this up.
3. In line with the need for draw, City is strong combo card for Hwy. You can mix in a few terminals (Smithy, Oracle, Horse Traders), they tend to start at +2 actions/+2 cards, and with the right setup you can quickly get them fully stocked where they provide plenty of money & the +buys to pile the Duchies.

Quoted this for emphasis.

On a kingdom where Highways are strong I generally find it comes down to two things:

1) Who can get more of the Highways. Getting 4 of 10 Highways is almost useless for a megaturn.
2) Who can draw all their Highways on one turn.

In some ways, I'd say that while +buy or +gain is necessary to make a Highways decks work, you also need either trashing or drawing or it never clicks into place fast enough to be worthwhile over a money strategy. A Highways deck with weak +buy and good non terminal +card or good trash is going to be stronger than one with strong +buy and terminal +card or weak trash. Or to give an example, Highway + Herbalist + Scrying Pool and Highway + Herbalist + Chapel are going to be stronger than Highway + Bridge + Courtyard, imho.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 21 queries.