Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Inner characters and personalities from your favoured icon  (Read 2429 times)

BitTorrent

• Bishop
  • Respect: +58
    • View Profile
Inner characters and personalities from your favoured icon
« on: February 18, 2013, 11:58:36 pm »
+3

Well this one is all about my personal experience and feelings:

There are 6 icons in the innovation game. Which one you like most? Now just answer this first: Which card did you get addicted to after your first 50 games? Just name it, and its related icons. Right. Here is my hypothesis related to your inner character based on the icon you like, after all these games I had seen through(now 1300+ I think...isotropic is SOOOO addictive).

1. Castle (e.g. Metalworking, The Wheel, Construction, Monolithism, others)
Though I seldom seen people who are attracted by castle, IMO castle lovers are subject to tradition. Castle lovers usually prefer orders and rules, hence do not like changes nor getting used to new things. Castle lovers would keep playing their cards until the very last moment of it, say they will stick to Monolithism even they are in age 9 or 10, as long as they have a color missing, or keep using the wheel as their drawing card until some age 5 or 6 or even later stages of the game.

'You should follow the order and get there on time.'

2. Bulbs (e.g. Math, Atomic Theory, Evolution, Invention, Paper, others)
Bulb lovers are thinkers. They think of many things in their life, anything. They frequently ask questions, though some of them stay quiet and keep their questions to themselves. Instead of improving the existing solution, they seek an entirely new solution for an old problem. Bulb lovers would frequently tech up, investing on an unknown card that even they may not know if it would work out or not. Among them the most weird ones are the Math lovers who tech up by Math all the time, without actually using any of the new cards they melded. There are some more practical ones among them though, say lovers of Atomic Theory or Experimentation would seek for a solid foothold on a certain stage and seek their answers there.

'Hmm...let me think of this. If we can...'

3. Crowns (e.g. Enterprise, Banking, Combustion, Optics, Translation, others)
Crown lovers are leaders. They seek control to the current situation, to their life, or to the people around them. Some of them would actually pick up a leading role among their own communities, while others may actively provide opinion and suggestion to others. Crown lovers in the game though usually seeks control on their opponents, taking away cards from their board and stripping off their opponent from winning the game. Most Crown cards are about demands (well this is actually quite sick, among the base set half of the crown cards(11/22, I don't have a card list or the game with me now so I may count it wrong) are demand cards), while some of them are more on the mild side and develops your board by a bit(Sailing, Optics), plus there is actually only 1 solid scoring crown base card(which is Currency, Bicycle doesn't actually score any card, Optics is not reliable, and demand cards are never described as scoring cards by me).

'My point of view is, why don't we try to do this and this and this...'

4. Leaves (e.g. Agriculture, Fermenting, Reformation, Machinery, Vaccination, others)
Leaf lovers are more about themselves. Rather than bothering others they would like to stay alone and deal with their own things. They like to live within their own life, caring things that only they are interested to, and ignore the rest. Leaf lovers usually seek to score on their own, drawing cards on their own and develop their board on their own. Sometimes they may interrupt their opponent by robbing their hands or returning their scores, but they do this largely for protecting their own game so they won't being annoyed by their opponent. Some leaf cards provide scoring by consuming your own hand while others maintain your hand and prevent others from doing so. Yea this is already the general behavior of most leaf cards.

'No thanks, I wanna stay at home in the evening...'

5. Factories (e.g. Industrialization, Coal, Canning, Gunpowder, Mobility, others)
Factory lovers are self motivated people who would like to get stronger and improving themselves. Some of them would like to stay on their own too, but most of them would like to strengthen themselves in-order to stay strong among others instead of protecting what they already have. They would like to refine the current solution of something, makes it perfect in order to show their passion and how good they are. Factory lovers in the game usually like to expand their board via tucking cards frequently(instead of melding new ones) or refining their board via scoring cards they don't want on their board. Some of them would show their fist to their opponent with Mobility or Composites, too.

'That is not good enough. Let me show you how I do it...'

6. Clocks (e.g. Software, Rocketry, Satellites, Computer, Quantum Theory, others)
Clock lovers are fancy people who seeks the thrilling moment of excitement in their lives. They would go for extreme and devotes everything they have to what they like, sometimes even beyond the edge of our society itself. From jumping with parachute, gliding though the grand canyon, to minor ones like taking a roller ride. They love the excitement and they will seek for them actively. Clock lovers in this game though would first actively tech-up and have a keen sense on cards like computer or quantum theory which they can work with. Clock cards have a wide variety of effects in the game, while some of them would seal the game in an instant(Software, Bioengineering, Internet).

'I think I should do it, We never try this before.'

That is it, all the 6 icons.

For me? As I said before my 'first love' is Optics, I am just so comfortable with it which you can easily stop others from rushing achievements early with its inner scoring potential and board expending ability. Industrialization is another card I am good at back in very early stages in my Innovation life, and, in-order to show you how much I am committed to it, I actually shares Industrialization to my opponents when the time is right, having him tucking massive amount of cards with me and burns out the age decks instantly. (Yea you can potentially losing a number of special achievements from doing so and you got to consider those, too) After some time(at least after I achieved rank 1 on F14, say after I played some 300 games) I like to go with Canning, where I just wipe out my whole board on my own and trade them for scores and achievements. Yea I am more like a mixture of a command/control guy and a self-taught master who keep refining my mechanics in my game, or other things in my life...

Right. No matter it is accurate or not, this is my personal feelings ONLY. So if it is not accurate to you, just forget it. Feel free to copy to other places if you want, although you should specify the author "The BrokenTree".  ;)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 02:48:46 am by BitTorrent »

timchen

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: allfail
  • Respect: +234
    • View Profile
Re: Inner characters and personalities from your favoured icon
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 02:06:55 am »

Cloaks? I thought those were clocks!

BitTorrent

• Bishop
  • Respect: +58
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 02:49:07 am »

Cloaks? I thought those were clocks!

HYPER typo... :(
thanks anyway

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 09:59:08 am »

I just try to use whatever icons are going to lead me to victory..

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 10:23:15 am »

And those icons leading to victory are the two leaves and one castle on fermenting, along with the 3 leaves on reformation ;).

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 10:27:38 am »
+3

Are you addicted to light bulbs?  Do you find yourself repeatedly passing up scoring opportunities so you can use Math "just one more time"?  Do your friends worry about you as you paw through the supply, desperately searching for Empiricism?  Do you get irrationally angry towards Archers and Translators?

If so, my twelve-step program titled "Self-Actualization, Early Scoring, and You" can help you break your light bulb addiction and get you the help you need to transition into a healthy lifestyle and teching responsibly.

dougz

• Isotropic Designer
  • Respect: +440
    • View Profile
    • Online Dominion
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 01:48:27 pm »
+7

When Chris Cieslik sent me the original icon art files so I could use them on the site, I noticed that the icons had names other than just "castle", "clock", etc.  They aren't mentioned in the game rules or cards so maybe these names were dropped, but at least at some point they appear to have represented:  "authority", "prosperity", "health", "concept", "industry", and "efficiency".

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 01:53:29 pm »

And those icons leading to victory are the two leaves and one castle on fermenting, along with the 3 leaves on reformation ;).
You must have played me a couple times.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 20 queries.