Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: A Dominion Fan Card Creation Guide  (Read 99707 times)

hsiale

• Duke
  • Respect: +244
    • View Profile
Re: A Dominion Fan Card Creation Guide
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2013, 01:26:54 pm »
+1

Did anyone try building fan cards from Goko templates? I have all the Goko graphics and want to use them to make Polish versions of sets that were not translated (as the Polish publisher after a few years' silence has announced recently that they abandon Dominion series completely). I have:
- png files with card templates (with card art window transparent),
- jpg files with card art, size fitting the templates,
- GIMP (2.82).

I tried to piece this together and encountered various problems - the background (template) insisted to be background and didn't want to move over the art, when copied to another layer it lost transparency, jpg pasted into png was losing colours. Did anyone try doing cards this way with success and knows how to overcome the obstacles?

BTW, if anyone would like to get those files, I put them all into a zip archive and uploaded here: http://www48.zippyshare.com/v/94152568/file.html Contents:
- art of all 205 kingdom cards (incl Knights randomizer), all ruins, shelters and knights, madman and mercenary,
- icons of 9 expansions and 5 promos,
- card templates for all card types existing (including Victory-Potion for Vineyard, but without Action-Potion for Transmute)
- Trash card art, card back both for a regular card and for Stash (no randomizer back)
- coin, potion and VP shield images in different sizes.

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +937
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2013, 10:43:30 pm »
+5

Right, duh. Still think it should point out that that effect is on official cards now, though.

You're right; it should.  I've tweaked the wording to take the Dark Ages cards into account.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2013, 05:46:37 pm »
+3

Similarly, the section on pricing should probably mention Poor House rather than discussing a hypothetical $1-cost card ;)

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2015, 02:23:42 pm »

Don't want to create an entirely new thread this, but I am wondering if anyone out there can give me some pointers on using Photoshop to mock up some fan cards. I have Photoshop Elements 6.0 and this downloaded, but only seem to be able edit the text. I can't change the default background type or picture.

ConMan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2015, 08:31:11 pm »

I find it's always a worthwhile exercise to review this guide when new official cards come out, to see which priciples need re-evaluation. Rarely are any of the suggestions flat-out wrong, but often Donald has managed to find a sneaky way to do something.

(13) Cards that stay out permanently.

Nothing inherently wrong with this idea, but a minor point: Usually this kind of idea is proposed with a new card type of "Permanent" or something. If the card otherwise behaves like a Duration card, then just call it a Duration card instead of inventing a new type. According to the Seaside rules, Duration cards stay out until the last turn in which they have an effect. Although the specific Duration cards in Seaside all get discarded after the following turn (except for a failed Tactician, which gets cleaned up immediately), the Duration type itself allows for a card to remain out for any arbitrary number of turns.
In recent developments, Hireling and Champion (and to a lesser extent Prince) demonstrate how it can be done.

(14) Actions that are unnecessarily non-terminal.
And again, amusingly, Champion shows what happens when all your cards are (perhaps unnecessarily) non-terminal.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2015, 03:08:27 pm »
+5

I think it's amazing how well this guide has held up over the years.

I find it's always a worthwhile exercise to review this guide when new official cards come out, to see which priciples need re-evaluation. Rarely are any of the suggestions flat-out wrong, but often Donald has managed to find a sneaky way to do something.

(13) Cards that stay out permanently.

Nothing inherently wrong with this idea, but a minor point: Usually this kind of idea is proposed with a new card type of "Permanent" or something. If the card otherwise behaves like a Duration card, then just call it a Duration card instead of inventing a new type. According to the Seaside rules, Duration cards stay out until the last turn in which they have an effect. Although the specific Duration cards in Seaside all get discarded after the following turn (except for a failed Tactician, which gets cleaned up immediately), the Duration type itself allows for a card to remain out for any arbitrary number of turns.
In recent developments, Hireling and Champion (and to a lesser extent Prince) demonstrate how it can be done.

(14) Actions that are unnecessarily non-terminal.
And again, amusingly, Champion shows what happens when all your cards are (perhaps unnecessarily) non-terminal.

All #13 says is not to create a new "Permanent" type when "Duration" covers cards that do something every turn. And what do you know, Donald did exactly that. So #13 has been codified rather than discredited.

#14 still holds in the general case, independent of stuff like Champion and Lost Arts.

ConMan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2015, 06:53:25 pm »

I think it's amazing how well this guide has held up over the years.
It's definitely a testament to rinkworks, and everyone who helped develop it.

All #13 says is not to create a new "Permanent" type when "Duration" covers cards that do something every turn. And what do you know, Donald did exactly that. So #13 has been codified rather than discredited.

#14 still holds in the general case, independent of stuff like Champion and Lost Arts.
Not disagreeing with you on either point. Donald certainly left the wording of Durations open enough that the permanent Durations work exactly as expected. And Champion and Lost Arts are both examples of how you can make individual instances that break otherwise fairly solid design principles and have them work.

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2016, 12:06:05 am »

I'd like to add another tip.

Part II. - (13-b) Duration effects that does not stack.
Let me show you a bad example at first.

Resurrection
cost $3 - Action - Duration
Now and at the start of your next turn: draw until you have 6 cards in hand.

What do you think? Nice? Probably not. All Duration cards are designed to have a role in Combo decks. There are only two Duration cards whose effect does not stack. Outpost and Tactician. Those two have a good reason.
Outpost: It should not let you get infinite turns. Even 3-4 turns in a row is no good. (From Secret History)
Tactician: 15 cards, 3 Actions, 3 Buy if you Throned it? Ridiculous.

Be careful when your Duration effects do not stack. It is okay, but you have to explain why it should be unstackable.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2016, 04:33:11 pm »
+1

Resurrection

What do you think? Nice? Probably not. All Duration cards are designed to have a role in Combo decks. There are only two Duration cards whose effect does not stack. Outpost and Tactician. Those two have a good reason.
Outpost: It should not let you get infinite turns. Even 3-4 turns in a row is no good. (From Secret History)

Be careful when your Duration effects do not stack. It is okay, but you have to explain why it should be unstackable.

Tactician stacks.  It's tough to make it happen, but you can do it.  Golem is one way to do it.  Throned Herald is another.

In general, I think a non-stacking Duration would be perfectly fine.  It would fill a different niche and have to be priced appropriately, but lack of stacking isn't problematic in itself, IMO.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2016, 05:26:55 pm »
+2

All cards should stack unless there's a good reason not to. Mostly this matters for Throne-ing them. Duration cards are not special in this regard.

I have a non-stacking Duration in my set right now. Its next-turn effect is: "During your next turn, when you play an Action card, first draw until you have 5 cards in hand". That's because "During your next turn, when you play an Action card, first draw a card" would probably be insane. In order to compensate for the duration part not stacking, it costs $6 and has a generous on-play effect (+$3). Maybe this card won't work out, but it seems silly not to test it just because it's a Duration that "doesn't stack".

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2016, 07:35:05 pm »

Theif only affects treasures, a plentiful, non-scoring resource.
Unless you have intrigue and Harem is in the kingdom. Granted, like sabotaging a Colony, it is only a four point swing, but for some kingdoms, that could be life or death. Heck, I've won a game with negative vp! so a four point swing can be a big difference. just arguing an edge case.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 06:59:11 pm by Doom_Shark »
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2016, 05:53:17 am »

Champion doesn't stack (except with Diadem).

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2016, 11:19:38 am »
+1

Resurrection

Tactician stacks.  It's tough to make it happen, but you can do it.  Golem is one way to do it.  Throned Herald is another.

In general, I think a non-stacking Duration would be perfectly fine.  It would fill a different niche and have to be priced appropriately, but lack of stacking isn't problematic in itself, IMO.

Wait, so, for example: I golem my deck. I first encounter tactician (no more cards) and then a village (so now I have one card and 2 actions). That card is a smithy. I draw 3 cards, among which a tactician. I tactician my hand.

I draw 10 cards at the beginning of next turn?

Edit: so it does. Cool.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 11:34:15 am by AdrianHealey »

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2016, 02:17:47 pm »
+4

Another way to do this is to put your +Card token on Tactician, and then Throne it.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

beri

• Bishop
  • Respect: +55
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2016, 05:47:22 am »

Could anyone direct me to where the updated .PSD with traveller template can be downloaded from? Thanks a lot!

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 08, 2016, 03:18:33 pm »

Where is the most updated .psd template?

DooWopDJ

• Golem
  • Respect: +62
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2017, 02:58:03 pm »

Hello, hello

Maybe I missed it in this thread, but is there a source template for us to use for the card back and front design?

My son is a graphics design student and I am hoping to interest him in the game by having him design a few 'Fan cards' that I created.

-Thanks
-DooWopDJ

Violet CLM

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +444
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2017, 04:04:19 pm »

The question of templates is addressed in part V of this thread. I would also point you to my automatic image generator, though if you're actively trying to get your son to do the work manually, it may not be what you're looking for.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2017, 04:27:47 pm »

Hello, hello

Maybe I missed it in this thread, but is there a source template for us to use for the card back and front design?

My son is a graphics design student and I am hoping to interest him in the game by having him design a few 'Fan cards' that I created.

-Thanks
-DooWopDJ
I can direct you to the best GIMP template. Violet's generator is also sweet, but it won't teach you any gimp skills.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Neirai the Forgiven

• Explorer
  • Respect: +134
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 28, 2017, 09:56:28 am »

I should mention (maybe it should get merged with the OP?) that Dominion uses Skat cards.

Neirai the Forgiven

• Explorer
  • Respect: +134
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2019, 10:07:23 am »
+1

From my own experience working on my Antiquities fan-set, I'd suggest this Addendum to Part II:

Cards that have a significant difference in power based on the number of players in the game.
I'm going to give an example so obvious that it's almost absurd:

"Taxes - Treasure - $5
+$1 for each other player"

This is a horrible idea, but maybe it sounds good to you when you came up with it. But how much *should* it cost? In a four player game, it should clearly cost $6. In a two player game, it should cost $0.

Obviously, this can come in much more subtle forms:

"Cursed Idol - Treasure - Reaction - $4
Whenever an other player plays a Cursed Idol, you can reveal this from your hand.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3 Money.
At the end of your turn, if any player revealed a Cursed Idol when you played this card, gain two Curses."

This seems much more balanced, but it still is better when you only have to run the gauntlet of one other player instead of 3 or 5.

Shael

• Bishop
  • Respect: +56
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 16, 2021, 05:28:29 pm »

( basicaly the entire coment)

A model, just one of the best leçon of the forum.
¤ Post here your favorite fan-cards ¤ The Archive ¤ Witchcraft, a Potion & Exile themed Expansion ¤ Not so Soon ¤                                          

sudhish86

• Steward
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudhish86
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2022, 08:00:02 pm »
+1

Hi. I have the words worked out for some card ideas and i want to know how i can either: Post images from the internet or device straight onto my posts so that no clicking has to happen.....or how to posts links from the card generator into single words that can be clicked on....

Whenever i copy urls and post it, the preview shows the url, not a picture. And when i highlight the word i want the url to be contained in, it just includes it in the url, making it a bad link.

Thanks for any help

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2022, 08:57:13 pm »

Hi. I have the words worked out for some card ideas and i want to know how i can either: Post images from the internet or device straight onto my posts so that no clicking has to happen.....or how to posts links from the card generator into single words that can be clicked on....

Whenever i copy urls and post it, the preview shows the url, not a picture. And when i highlight the word i want the url to be contained in, it just includes it in the url, making it a bad link.

Thanks for any help

press the "quote" button to see how I did this but:
single linked word

Embedded image with width specified:

Embedded image with height specified:

Embedded image with both specified:

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 09:03:34 pm by spineflu »

sudhish86

• Steward
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudhish86
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 04, 2022, 12:16:01 am »
+1

thanks for the help. i'll try copying you
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 21 queries.