Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Periodic table of innovation cards?  (Read 1763 times)

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
Periodic table of innovation cards?
« on: February 17, 2013, 02:25:39 am »
+2

Wei Hwa made a 'periodic table' of RFTG cards, shown here.

http://files.boardgamegeek.com/file/download/2gp4315va8/periodic-table-1page-letter.pdf?

If you were going to design a similar infographic for innovation cards, how would you display it?  Of course, you can't really hope to display everything, choosing what information to omit or compress is a very important part of making such a display effective.

I was thinking it might be useful to focus on card movements.  Say there are 7 card locations, (hand/score/board) x (yours, opponents) + supply.  Most cards move cards around, so you could list them on the appropriate edges.  Maybe instead of card lists, you could put ages/colors/symbols involved in the various transitions.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
Re: Periodic table of innovation cards?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 05:28:14 am »

I don't know Innovation that good that I could give you advice on that. But I'm really interested on such a graph because those are really cool.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 09:08:34 am »

Man, that table (RFTG) is impossible to read for people not familiar with the game.  I have no idea what most of the symbols mean.

I suspect that for Innovation, the movement or at least the endpoint would be a good place to start.  So we have:

Cards that draw
Cards that meld
Cards that tuck
Cards that score
Cards that splay

Demand cards mostly fit those categories, I think.  But this already feels like a 3D chart.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 11:56:34 am »

Actually, we were thinking more of a graph with 7 nodes.  And then there are ~40 arrows that point from each node to another node, representing, say, cards that move from SUPPLY to OPP_SCORE (Banking), cards that move from SUPPLY to OPP_BOARD (Vaccination), cards that move from YOUR_BOARD to YOUR_SCORE (Canning), etc.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 12:15:31 pm »

More specifically, you'd have an overall list of the cards on the left, the diagram in the middle, and space on the right.  Upon rolling over any of the arrows, the list of the cards appears on the right.  Rolling over the left list of cards will highlight the appropriate arrows that that card belongs to.

I wonder if there's anyone who knows Flash that would be interested in helping out.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 20 queries.