Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Combo: Native Village-Poor House  (Read 2846 times)

bigdaddyg

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
Combo: Native Village-Poor House
« on: February 16, 2013, 10:45:45 pm »
+1

I'm a long time, rather mediocre player, but new to the forum as a contributor (.... I'm a long time lurker)

I stumbled onto a powerful combo, largely by accident, so I thought I would share it.

The kingdom I was playing included both Knights and Pirate Ships, so I was looking for a strategy based on avoiding an economy based on money, and also trying to minimize cards in the 3-6 cost range to protect myself from Knights.

I originally was going to try a Native Village-Bridge combo, and bought a few Poor House's as an after thought.  But I soon realized that with one native village and 2 poor houses, I could buy a Province every turn, and then put that Province away with the Native Village at the start of the next turn.  Won pretty easily.

Now, I acknowledge that I was playing solitaire against Goko's artificial intelligence, so a real player may have realized what was going on and figured out a counter before I bought out all the provinces.  Still, a satisfying win.

http://dominionlogs.goko.com//20130216/log.50944880e4b0029bd7d69065.1361072148155.txt

The full kingdom:
- Poor House
- Native Village,
- Great Hall
- Bridge,
- Coppersmith
- Pirate Ship
- Worker's Village
- Graverobber
- Knights
- Altar

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1183
    • View Profile
Re: Combo: Native Village-Poor House
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 10:53:39 pm »

I don't get it. Why don't you ever have a native village or poor house as the top card of your deck?
It looks to me that there's a 50% chance of that happening and you were lucky to avoid it.

Warrior

• Golem
  • Respect: +54
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 11:10:08 pm »

Thanks for sharing! I think this is a neat idea, but not a dependable strategy. You did get some lucky draws at the end never having to set aside a poor house. Sooner or later, you are going to draw your poor house with the native village and then you can't do anything but pick up the cards from the NV mat. I think something with chapel, villages, poor houses, and like islands to set aside provinces could be viable. Again thanks for sharing!

Warrior

bigdaddyg

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 11:18:13 pm »

Thanks for pointing out the flaw and luck factor involved .... definitely could use some support to make a "Golden Deck" type strategy.  Seemed too easy.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 12:13:03 am »

It is a decent strategy. I have learned Poor House needs the right kindgom to set up correctly, but when you have that kingdom, it really shines. What usually makes a Poor House deck strong is a village (Native Village), trashing or sifting (again Native Village), but to really get an engine going you also want a form of +Buy and also card draw. But, creating a deck with Poor House to just buy one Province a turn is also a decent strategy if the engine option isn't viable.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 07:31:50 pm »
+1

Hamlet + Oasis + NV + NV + PH + PH gets very close - I'm pretty sure that most times you'll be able to discard and use NV such that you get the Province onto the NV mat, and if you accidentally NV a PH you'll have a spare coin and Buy to get it back. Plus Oasis and Hamlet are both really nice enablers of Poor House (but first you need to find a kingdom with all 4 cards in it!)

Rabid

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Rabid
  • Respect: +643
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 08:53:00 pm »
+10

Hamlet + NV + PH + PH + Province is "golden".
You can also substitute Oasis for the hamlet.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 08:57:28 pm by Rabid »
Twitch
1 Day Cup #1:Ednever

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 05:13:23 pm »

Hamlet + NV + PH + PH + Province is "golden".
You can also substitute Oasis for the hamlet.
Duh, of course it is. I don't know why I tried to complicate it. And as I pointed out, both Hamlet and Oasis are nice PH enablers (Hamlet probably marginally more so).

^_^_^_^

• Minion
  • Crazy, You Have Been Warned
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 05:33:40 pm »

Great first post! Welcome to the forums! :)

"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Doug Z
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Donald X
The cost to buy me is 5Copper. What's Your Cost?
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 21 queries.