Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: One Day Cup Schedule and Results  (Read 11984 times)

zxcvbn2

• Golem
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
One Day Cup Schedule and Results
« on: February 16, 2013, 08:43:57 am »
+2

PlayersWinsLosses
Qvist40
heron22
Polk544022
zxcvbn222
pirate ship economist04

zxcvbn2 vs. Polk5440
heron vs pirate ship economist

Qvist vs pirate ship economist
heron vs Polk5440

Qvist vs zxcvbn2
Polk5440 vs pirate ship economist

Qvist vs Polk5440
heron vs zxcvbn2

Qvist vs heron
zxcvbn2 vs pirate ship economist
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 08:25:04 pm by zxcvbn2 »
One Day Cup II Champion: qmech III: Rabid IV: Qvist

nopawnsintended

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +186
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: One Day Cup Schedule and Results
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 12:39:09 pm »
+1

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1183
    • View Profile

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 02:02:58 pm »

why did I not see this? Evidently I posted the logs in the wrong thread.

Polk5440

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 02:06:50 pm »
+1

I hope to post a few comments on my games in the future when I take a closer look at them, but the big take away for me is that I am afraid of Silk Road and Gardens games.... and don't play them particularly well.

Thanks for setting up the tournament, zxcvbn2, it was fun.

Good games, all around, too. Thanks to everyone who participated in some fun Dominion action!

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2013, 02:34:45 pm »
+2

good games everyone, was a lot of fun.
I did record the games. If you don't mind I will upload them in the next couple of days instead of writing commentary.
Please contact me if you don't want that.

nopawnsintended

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +186
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2013, 04:02:27 pm »

I did record the games. If you don't mind I will upload them in the next couple of days instead of writing commentary.

If you don't mind, can you send me a forum message once you have uploaded them?  I have been forum absent for a while (life got busy), but I would be curious to see how the games looked from your perspective.

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2013, 04:04:00 pm »

If you don't mind, can you send me a forum message once you have uploaded them?  I have been forum absent for a while (life got busy), but I would be curious to see how the games looked from your perspective.

I promise. I think our game was the first. So I will probably upload them today or tomorrow anyway.

Polk5440

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2013, 06:15:28 pm »

zxcvbn2 beats Polk5440 3-2

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201302/16/game-20130216-071129-a7c0fc88.html

This one was tough to figure out. There was mostly villages and some trashing in the Black Market from what I could remember. I chose to ignore it, and so did zxcvbn2.

There's Apprentice for trashing, but that is slow going to clear out curses. I was confident in my opening of Watchtower over Silver or Herbalist from the second seat in order to both prevent curses coming in and giving some extra draw to X power which worked well with YW, Nobles, Crossroads, and Apprentice (on Coppers/Curses). I did pick up an Herbalist for Bane and buy, later. I hit $7 several times for 3 Banks, and didn't get a curse til turn 14. This allowed me to win easily from the second seat. 

Of the 5 games, I am most proud of my play in this game, even given the fact I got lucky a few times.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201302/16/game-20130216-072146-5d83f36f.html

I thought I had the better plan here, going for 2 Ambassadors as quickly as possible over something like Margrave (which I could have opened with), in order to counter the curses coming in from Sea Hag. I was planning something like Throne Room-Throne Room or TR-Pearl Diver to act as a village for a couple Margraves, but it just didn't pan out, and my economy wasn't as strong as his. Given this plan, Bureaucrat over Salvager on turn 12 was probably a big mistake, because once my deck was thin enough I could have trashed at least one Ambassador and the Silver flood made my TRs miss too much. I lost, feeling like I badly misplayed the midgame on this one.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201302/16/game-20130216-073827-07a337c0.html

Native Village-Wharf-Cutpurse + one outpost from the first seat wins. The lookout was probably worse than silver for me, but I am not sure. If I replayed this game, I wouldn't buy it.

accidentally closed Game 4

Here it is:
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201302/16/game-20130216-074248-5e2c8d77.html

The beginning of my Silk Road/Gardens problems for the day. Ironworks-Silk Road here seems to be the only way to go. While his Golds helped him spike a Province late, I don't know how to adapt in these games, and I lost.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201302/16/game-20130216-074929-5cc5076a.html

I am mad at myself for this game. Noble Brigand was a mistake over Silver on the opening especially since I went first. When NB misses it gives a Copper, and here, with IGG rush an option, Coppers help the opponent. Duh! I do think Silver is better than Caravan here on the opening, but I am not sure. I know Counting House was correct midgame given my position, and because of it, I only lost by a point.

Nice playing by zxcvb2, overall. If I recall correctly, the last time I entered a tournament, zxcvbn2 knocked me out. Next time; next time.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 11:31:21 pm by Polk5440 »

Polk5440

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2013, 07:28:46 pm »

Polk beats heron 3-2
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201302/16/game-20130216-075617-a5dd8433.html

I was a man with a plan here. Stables, Jack of All Trades, and Grand Market. I think heron's Nomad Camp on turn 7 was a small mistake given all the plus buy on the board. Then I go and get greedy and pass up Province for Grand Market on turns 12 and 13. This kingdom was too fast for that kind of building. I deservedly lose.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201302/16/game-20130216-080503-9e274611.html

It's a tough call whether to go for Familiar here, I think. We both do. I don't really have a well thought out plan. I should have had a better path in mind on how to navigate to Forge/Province and when/if I should have bothered with Tournament. I don't think either of us wins a tournament. The only reason I win is because I was able to remodel a Forge into Province off of his Governor and then immediately on my turn by the last Province. I feel like I lucked into this one.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201302/16/game-20130216-081308-2a62ea43.html

Oh, boy. Silk Road, round 2. I go for it with Baron, he doesn't. Instead he goes Fool's Gold into Provinces (denying me 2 Silk Roads along the way). Luckily, he doesn't let me make a mistake in the endgame and resigns.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201302/16/game-20130216-082429-d3acb064.html

I go Remake into Minion/Pawn. I did not see how Governor could help on this board. My mistake. Governor always helps. Heron skips Remake and improves on the basic Minion/Pawn using Governor and Fool's Gold. Props for a great idea and execution. I lose big.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201302/16/game-20130216-083307-d43de358.html

I might have won the last, but I miscalculated. It was close.

In hindsight, maybe I should have bought at least one Witch instead of my fist Nobles. Double Steward really helped me keep my deck in check, and I figured that with all those Hunting Parties, one Steward for him would have been enough. But just having one curse would have gummed up those HPs more. I feel like I had the better opening, but no Witch made it a squeaker I barely won. Very close game.

Good match, overall, too. A good mix of enjoyable kingdoms.

Polk5440

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2013, 03:08:13 pm »

Polk beats pirate ship economist 3-2.
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201302/16/game-20130216-085104-64418be2.html

This was my favorite kingdom of the 5 I played with PSE. My idea was to use an augmented Torturer chain to eventually get some big hands to take advantage of Haggler. Woodcutter provided the extra buys, and Watchtower, Ironworks, and Chapel were key early providing a little engine of its own until the Torturers could pick up the pace. The opening was shaky for me, but PSE chose to go into Ventures/money late instead of Torturers, which was not fast enough.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201302/16/game-20130216-090641-77145b97.html

Silk Road, Round 3. We both (attempt to) go Ironworks-Silk Road. I lose the Silk Road split 6-2 (man, I am bad at these games) and make an attempt to transition to Tournament, but the game is already over.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201302/16/game-20130216-091148-7b2dc6eb.html

I use Remake to thin the deck and go pure Lighthouse-Minion to win from the first seat over his mostly money + Library strategy.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201302/16/game-20130216-092137-44029a70.html

We both open Courtyard and Upgrade. So far, so good. I am planning on picking up 2 Jacks and Hoards, as well and going mostly money. He goes Horse Traders and Upgrades it into Cache 2 turns later. I think I have the better long run potential here and pick up Contraband over Cache on a 5, which is a decision I still like. After turn 10, I am down 1 point but he still has both his Estates and a Duchy clogging his deck. Yet somehow, I keep falling behind on points, and he wins convincingly. I don't really know what happened here.

[and the last one was a final game where I tried a Baron-Lighthouse-Estate run, and that was silly, especially once Polk got some Minions going... Polk has that log]

Here it is: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201302/16/game-20130216-092827-1e83067c.html

In the face of Minion, Pirate Ship, Swindler, and Young Witch, I open Lighthouse/Lighthouse and go Lighthouse-Minion again, this time supplemented by a Baron and a couple Villages (since there is no trashing here). Sticking with what works worked for me over his heavy Baron, Duchy-rush strategy.

Good match, PSE! Thanks for the games.

Polk5440

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2013, 03:45:01 pm »
+1

Qvist over Polk5440 3-1 (but it felt a lot closer than that!)

1) http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201302/16/game-20130216-101300-d24e5cf2.html

This was a nasty board. I went University and he didn't, and I got 4 curses before he got any partially because of this, but I think in the end University (to get lots of Wharfs and Caravans) and Trader saved me. I think his use of Inn was generally more timely than mine, and that made the curse split worse, but I am not sure. I don't know what the best strategy on this board is.

2) http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201302/16/game-20130216-102154-5b6ebc9e.html

Silk Road, Round 4. I thought Fairgrounds was viable. I was wrong. HP/Horse Traders is just too strong. I tried to turn to Silk Road to save me. I lost big.

3) http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201302/16/game-20130216-103039-d7c86c4f.html

Arrg! I thought I had this one. Then I gave it away (literally) at the end. I was being super clever by taking advantage of the Estates Qvist was handing me and Upgrading them into Great Halls to activate the Crossroads. It was a brilliant plan. My Bishop play was not the best, though. I should have Bishoped the Upgrade rather than Upgrading the Bishop into a Duchy when I did. In any case, bad end game play sinks me. On turn 16 he plays Masquerade, and I have 2 Colonies, a Great Hall, a Silver, and a Crossroads in hand. I pass him the Silver thinking I don't want to give him points late game and the green will give me a nice draw from Crossroads, but of course the Silver puts him over the top for the last Colony. I would have liked to see how this game would have turned out had I passed the Great Hall instead.

4) http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201302/16/game-20130216-103949-eaf3879f.html

Another very close one. I go Merchant Ship, money, Militia, and he goes mostly money. I liked Merchant Ship here, and thought I was correct, but he gets ahead on Provinces, anyway. Luckily, there is a contingency plan. Worker's Village was providing actions, but it also gives buys, so I switch to grabbing Gardens, turning this into "Silk Road", round 5. Had I made the realization I would need Gardens just a little earlier, I would have won. I finished the game with 6 Gardens and 39 cards. I lost by a point. One more Copper on an extra buy a little earlier would have probably won the game for me and pushed the series to game 5.

This was a great match, and I really enjoyed the games. Thanks Qvist for recording, as well. I am looking forward to your perspective on them. And I would be up for a rematch in the future!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 10:48:38 pm by Polk5440 »

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2013, 04:33:38 pm »

Not enough Kingdoms with Pirate Ships in them obviously!
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2013, 05:10:55 pm »
+1

Match 1 against pirateship economist - Quick thoughts:

Game I was a Noble Brigand BM where he chooses Cache over Gold what was the right decision.
Game II was a Torturer chain with Tournament where he chooses to get Cartographers which might have been the wrong choice because more Torturers would have been helpful. He gets Trusty Steed and I get Princess. My hands line up better for the win.
Game III I tried to defend against Witch with Lighthouse and failed horribly. I got crushed here.
Game IV Vault/Tunnel mirror match with Crossroads. I think first player advantage gave me the win.
Game V A complicated board with Embassy, Black Market, Upgrade, Peddler, Throne Room and some strong cards in the Black Market. I got lucky and got an early Mountebank what was pretty decisive.

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2013, 07:13:36 pm »
+2

I'm back into YT business, sorry for the delay. This is the second game against zxcvbn2.
Game I was a Sea Hag game where I had a 5/2 as second player and he seahagged my Sea Hag twice. Nothing I could do there.
Game II was a Remodel/Fool's Gold game where I used Scout to win the game, yeah.
Game III was a game where I missed Festival/Watchtower and where my oponent went for Pirate Ship and I tried to go for an engine around Black Market.
Game IV was a cool game where I tried to get a Bridge mega turn with Tactician, Throne Room and Swindler
Game V was a really interesting game in a RPS scenario which lasted forever. I build an obscure Wishing Well stack with Havens and one Goons after my treasures got stolen from Noble Brigand.

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2013, 06:33:54 pm »
+1

Game I: I had a 5/2 opening on a Witch board what is usually very good, but University was really strong here with Wharves, Inn and such. He got really lucky with his Trader too so that he had a better economy in the end to win this.
Game II: This was a Hunting Party / Horse Traders game for me while he tried a Fairgrounds thing. I mean there were strong cards for Fairgrounds, but HP was really strong here and with Silk Road as my supporting card I could outrace him.
Game III: I was going Maquerade / BM with a village and Moneylender as support which helped me to get a quick lead. He tried something fancy with Upgrade and Great Halls and Crossroads what worked out surprisingly well. But he made the mistake and gave me a Silver instead of a Great Hall in the last turn.
Game IV: This was even closer. I played Militia Big Money and ignored Gardens which I still like more, but only one card and one point made the difference.

Polk5440

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2013, 11:37:31 pm »

Game I: I had a 5/2 opening on a Witch board what is usually very good, but University was really strong here with Wharves, Inn and such. He got really lucky with his Trader too so that he had a better economy in the end to win this.

FYI: When I said "and I would lose on the tie" I was considering buying out the remaining 4 Estates.

Thanks for recording!

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2013, 07:13:57 am »
+1

Last one:

Game I: Tournament Game with Border Village + Embassy for the cycling. He had an suboptimal 5/2 split here and I managed to connect the Tournament first.
Game II: This was interesting. I had a 5/2 on a weak board with Duke. I opted to ignore Duke and go for Venture BM and tried to deny his Duke race with Expand. My problem was that I should have either only bought Duchies or only bought Dukes to deny this and not a mix of it. D'oh.
Game III: This was a mirror match where we tried to build a Conspirator chain with Upgrade and Oasis. It was a back and forth, but he may have destroyed his deck too fast while mine lasted a little bit longer.
Game IV: Fast one. He had a 5/2 on a board with 7 $5s. He goes for Governors. I tried to counter this with Envoy BM because of the trashing and Silvers he gave me. It worked out.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.081 seconds with 21 queries.