Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Board Game Collection  (Read 8665 times)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Board Game Collection
« on: February 15, 2013, 08:08:45 pm »

So I am hoping to expand my board game collection in the future.  I'm hoping to get a diverse collection -- something for every type of player.  I do want to stay away from games that take hours upon hours (e.g. Twilight Imperium, so I've heard) and I would tend towards simpler, easy-to-teach/learn games.  I was hoping for some thoughts on things I should/should not plan to pick up, etc.

My current collection:

- Settlers of Catan + Cities and Knights expansion

This was my first "euro" game and I honestly don't even remember when or how I got it.  Most people know the series.  Without C+K it is simple to teach, and even with the expansion it's not so bad.  With the expansion it becomes a long-ish game, but I like the added depth.

- Dominion: Intrigue

I received this as a gift from my friends, and it's what destroyed any free time I ever had brought me to this wonderful community.  I really enjoy Dominion but I rarely get to play it IRL with my friends, partially because I've learned a lot more of the strategy than they have so they usually get crushed when we do play.  I expect that one day I will go and buy all the Dominion sets.  But not now.

- 7 Wonders + Leaders expansion + Cities expansion

My favourite game right now.  Simple, tactical, and intuitive enough that newbies absolutely stand a chance against pros (especially with a bit of luck on their side).  It's also a big plus that it can serve up to 7 players and still have a relatively short play time.

- Agricola

I picked this up as part of a big combined order, partially to save on shipping.  It is intended to fill the "Worker Placement" genre in my collection.  I still have had no chance to play it so I have no insight into ease of play, game length or even whether I'd enjoy it.  I sure hope I do though!

- Hive

Quick-ish, portable 2-player game.  Abstract game.  It doesn't actually see much play, though I like it a lot.

Friends' collections

Since my friends already have these games, I probably wouldn't pick them up.

- Power Grid
- Puerto Rico
- Tigris and Euphrates (which I have not actually tried yet)

Future purchases?

- Suburbia

This kind of fills the slot of "tile laying"... and sort of fills the slot of "auction"?  I can't quite remember.  I do know that it looked really fun, not too difficult to learn, and it is also quite different from the other things I have, thematically.

- Kemet

This has elements of worker placement but it is a game of war and conquest.  I think the theme looks great... plus it was highly praised by Tom Vasel. :P

- Bonanza

Filler game.  I don't have enough filler games.  This one is really simple, pretty fast, fun and inexpensive.

- Cosmic Encounter

Sci-fi themed and super political?  All I really know about it is "LOTS OF ALIENS".  It looks good!

- Ricochet Robots

Inexpensive filler-ish puzzle game that can fit many, many people.  Though maybe the new take on it, Mutant Meeples, might be better.

Also looking for thoughts on...

- Keyflower

It looks nice?  I actually don't know much about this one because dice tower doesn't have a review up.  It looks like... auction, tile laying AND worker placement?  Thoughts

- CO2

It looks interesting.  I hear that the theme flows well and it is actually simple.  I am just wondering how fun it is and whether it really is simple.  Ryan Metzler did a review for dice tower and it is twice the length of the usual reviews, so that's a little scary.

What are your thoughts on the above games?  What types of games should I consider?  Co-op games, probably.  Any specific games I need to look into?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
Re: Board Game Collection
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 08:33:14 pm »

I recommend rahdo's playthroughs, more to watch, but I find his playthroughs more interesting than any review.

Future purchases?

- Suburbia

This kind of fills the slot of "tile laying"... and sort of fills the slot of "auction"?  I can't quite remember.  I do know that it looked really fun, not too difficult to learn, and it is also quite different from the other things I have, thematically.
Not really auction AFAIK. Suburbia is kind of "Sim City: The Board Game". You have to balance population and economic increase and have to plan a little on tile-laying. If you want tile-laying, then you should play Tigris & Euphrates of you friends or buy Alhambra or of course Carcassonne. But you have already Hive for time-laying. A tile-laying game that I haven't tried out, but seems interesting is Glen More.

- Keyflower

It looks nice?  I actually don't know much about this one because dice tower doesn't have a review up.  It looks like... auction, tile laying AND worker placement?  Thoughts
I think this isn't a blind purchase. The interesting mechanic is the bidding with 3 different sort of workers and the "Production Path". I haven't tried out though, just watched some reviews. Most loved it. I guess it's too much for a family game, but it's isn't highly complicated either.

- CO2

It looks interesting.  I hear that the theme flows well and it is actually simple.  I am just wondering how fun it is and whether it really is simple.  Ryan Metzler did a review for dice tower and it is twice the length of the usual reviews, so that's a little scary.
Uh, I disagee. It's not really simple. The fact that you don't control a continent/faction on your own is similar to Imperial and really hard to grasp for beginners IMO. It's an interesting, different game what I've seen from reviews, but definitely not for everyone. I'm personally not that interested in it. Just watch some reviews. rahdo has done a playthrough too:

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 08:37:22 pm »

Take a simple placement game like Carcasonne (Hunters and Gathers), Kingdom Builder, or Oregon.

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 08:55:29 pm »

It's hard to recommend games. I'm also not sure what you mean with "simple". Simple for you or for non-gamers (or family)? Number of players?
Are you generally interested in newer games (most of them proposed by you were newer games)?
No cooperative game in your collection? Not interested? How about Pandemic, Shadows over Camelot, Hanabi, Flash Point, Ghost Stories, Battlestart Galactica, Robinson Crusoe?
How about a quick Live Action game like Space Alert or Escape?
More card games? Innovation, Seasons, Saint Petersburg?
More Worker Placement? Stone Age, Village, Lords of Waterdeep?

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 09:50:04 pm »

Ticket to Ride + any expansions.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 12:13:57 am »

@Qvist -- Is Suburbia not great then, or just not representative of tile-laying?

Thanks for all the playthroughs.  I will look into them... though they are pretty long. :P

@DG -- ahh, forgot to mention that my friends have Hunters and Gatherers.  I am not sure about Kingdom Builder.  Dominion is amazing but the reviews I've heard for Kingdom Builder or mixed.  I don't know anything about Oregon.

@QVist again -- hmm, I consider Settlers of Catan (without expansions) to be fairly simple.  Carcassonne is also simple -- just put down a tile.  I think 7 Wonders is kind of simple but it does seem to take a little bit before people understand how the resources work ("you mean it doesn't get spent?").  I'm looking for games that are easy to learn and pick-up, not necessarily easy to master.  Dominion is a good example, I think.  Not complicated at all to get the mechanics, but there is lots of strategy to work out.

I am interested in co-op, sure.  I've played Pandemic and I know someone with Shadows Over Camelot, so I'll probably try that one eventually.  How good is Hanabi?  I heard Ghost Stories is incredibly difficult. :P

I don't know Space Alert.  Escape is the one where you're on an island, right?

Innovation looks interesting; at some point I'll have to pull some friends onto iso to try it.  I feel like the Seasons theme is not so accessible (I really enjoy the fantasy genre in general but for some reason it usually doesn't grab me in a board or card game).  I don't know about St. Petersburg.

I don't know much about Stone Age or Lords of Waterdeep.  Village interests me just because of that Book of the Dead thing.  I know it's not called that, but I find it morbidly hilarious.

@ashersky -- I have played the USA edition and enjoyed it.  Which edition is the best though?  Do any stand out?

Thanks for the thoughts, everyone.

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 02:07:53 am »

I like Europe and Asia the best.  I don't have experience with Switzerland.  Asia is two maps in one, so a bonus there.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 02:51:24 am »

The Resistance! It's a whole lot of fun in person. Mafia is better if you have like 13+ friends, but resistance is vastly superior in groups of like 5-8.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 06:00:03 am »

@Qvist -- Is Suburbia not great then, or just not representative of tile-laying?

I suppose it's a great game, one that I definitely interested in. It has one minor flaw, especially with more players. The "global" effects are hard to keep track. Maybe you should put a token on those tiles so that you can check these everytime a tile is laid down. I think it's just not a typical tile-laying game. That's what I meant to say.

Thanks for all the playthroughs.  I will look into them... though they are pretty long. :P
Yes, they are. But you get a pretty good feel if the game is something for you.

I am interested in co-op, sure.  I've played Pandemic and I know someone with Shadows Over Camelot, so I'll probably try that one eventually.  How good is Hanabi?  I heard Ghost Stories is incredibly difficult. :P
Hanabi is fairly simple and can be a great filler. I never played Ghost Stories because I don't like the theme but I heard it too that it's hard to beat, but I don't think that the rules are that hard.

I don't know Space Alert.  Escape is the one where you're on an island, right?
Escape is the "Indiana Jones" one. You roll dice in 10min and try to escape an temple full of traps and treasures. The short play time makes it really interesting.
The playthrough is much shorter:

Space Alert is a little more complex version of live play in a space station. It has a similar live time frame, but there is also ~20min resolving the outcome for a total play time of 30min.
Here's a full playthrough:

Innovation looks interesting; at some point I'll have to pull some friends onto iso to try it.  I feel like the Seasons theme is not so accessible (I really enjoy the fantasy genre in general but for some reason it usually doesn't grab me in a board or card game).  I don't know about St. Petersburg.
I heard Seasons has a high beginner barrier, so maybe it's not so fitting for families. Saint Petersburg is one of my favourite games. It has a little bit of card drafting, ressource management and set collection. It's very easy to learn, but has high replayability value. Another easy game is The Speicherstadt which I like a lot. It's a mix of Worker Placement and Auctioning Game and has also some Set Collection mechanics. I really like the Auctioning system here. It's simple but makes it highly tactical. Both can be played on yucata.de if you want to try them out, just contact me.

I don't know much about Stone Age or Lords of Waterdeep.  Village interests me just because of that Book of the Dead thing.  I know it's not called that, but I find it morbidly hilarious.
I'm not that keen on Worker Placement, but I think these are great "pure" beginner Worker Placement Games. But if you already have Agricola, these might be too easy and not so interesting.
Stone Age can be played on yucata.de too.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 06:56:30 am »

Regarding Agricola:
I think it's harder to play than the other games you listed, but not that much. It's not a game you should play with people who have rarely played any boardgames before. It's also takes quite long, especially with many players, but not insanely long, maybe a bit more than Power Grid. It's a good game, but not easy.
Picking up another, more accessible Worker placement game (like Stone Age or Lords of Waterdeep) wouldn't be a mistake i guess.

Another suggestion that hasn't come up is Small World, a light conquest game with cool special abilities.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 01:47:05 am »

Regarding Agricola:
I think it's harder to play than the other games you listed, but not that much. It's not a game you should play with people who have rarely played any boardgames before. It's also takes quite long, especially with many players, but not insanely long, maybe a bit more than Power Grid. It's a good game, but not easy.
Picking up another, more accessible Worker placement game (like Stone Age or Lords of Waterdeep) wouldn't be a mistake i guess.

Another suggestion that hasn't come up is Small World, a light conquest game with cool special abilities.

I actually thought Power Grid was getting on the long side too! :P

Small World is absolutely on my radar.  My main reason against getting it is because it just has SO many expansions, and I would feel obligated to get them all. ;)

I watched some of those playthroughs by rhado.  Suburbia and Keyflower both look really great to me still.  I probably prefer Suburbia, at least until I get a better feel for how my friends and I feel about Worker Placement, although Keyflower's bidding system is really neat.  Maybe I should also look into some other games in the Key- series.

CO2 is off my radar now.  The theme is not as compelling as I thought it would be and it looks rather fiddly.  More complex than I thought; even with a mere three core actions, there is a LOT you have to keep in mind.

Escape is interesting, but I am generally not a fan of dice rolling.  I don't mind dice (I like Settlers!) but the whole game there is really just a bunch of dice rolling.

Ginkgopolis is kind of interesting to me.  I do wish there was a bit more theme to it, but it does seem neat.  Likewise for Tzolk'in, but it might just be the allure of those spinning gears.  For the latter, I still have to evaluate our taste for worker placement.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 04:33:06 am »

Neuroshima Hex!

Seriously, that game is not played enough. It's always great fun!

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 07:41:19 am »

Neuroshima Hex!

I hear good things...what is it?

mith

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: mith
  • Respect: +778
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 01:15:59 pm »

FWIW, I really liked Suburbia the first time I played it, and it has dropped significantly on subsequent plays. It seems difficult to break out of the "get lots of money, then get lots of people" flow with a divergent strategy, and the game seems to end before you really get anything going. Plus the goals can seem pretty arbitrary and are worth a lot relative to per-turn games, given previous. YMMV, but I wouldn't recommend buying it unplayed.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 01:56:57 pm »

FWIW, I really liked Suburbia the first time I played it, and it has dropped significantly on subsequent plays. It seems difficult to break out of the "get lots of money, then get lots of people" flow with a divergent strategy, and the game seems to end before you really get anything going. Plus the goals can seem pretty arbitrary and are worth a lot relative to per-turn games, given previous. YMMV, but I wouldn't recommend buying it unplayed.

Hmm, alright.  Thanks!

D Bo

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +93
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2013, 02:20:43 pm »

I would really recommend Castles of Burgundy to anyone - this is probably my favorite game aside from Dominion currently, although I just got it for Christmas. You can read a lot of details at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/84876/the-castles-of-burgundy but it supports 2-4 players and is essentially another tile laying game based on dice. But what I really like is that you can influence die rolls so you aren't always locked into being stuck with awful rolls. Sometimes you play a dice-based game and you can't get anywhere because you need double 5's and never have the right luck, but with this game there is the ability to alter it. Each player has their own board that is unique (unless you all play with the basic one where there are 4 of the same) so you have to pay attention to both yours and your opponent's strategies. Anyway, there's plenty of reviews and videos on BGG if you're curious, but it's ranked 16 overall and well-worth your time.

DG

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2013, 06:15:23 pm »

I've had a game of Keyflower tonight it is really good but when the rules were being read we had smiles on our faces as we recognized the devilry. The game has a reasonable playing time, good rules, and mechanics that allow for very competitive worker placement where you can be left entirely in the cold with poor planning. It's probably too good (competitive) to be a starter game for casual players.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 08:00:21 pm »

I'd love to give an objective reply to this list, but 25 of my 40 (or so) board games are "Monopoly: _(Lots of different things)_ Edition"

We need someone like you to frequent our Game Night at work.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2013, 08:21:17 pm »

Neuroshima Hex!

Looks like... tile-laying combat game with four distinct factions.  Actually looks pretty neat.  It is available on both iOS and Android, and on the latter there is both a free Lite version and a paid one.  Sometime later I will try out the free version. :)

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2013, 11:59:24 pm »

Games I really enjoy and either own or have easy access to:

Dominion (and multiple expansions)
Race for the Galaxy (and The Gathering Storm)
Cosmic Encounter
Puerto Rico
Stone Age
Carcassonne
7 Wonders
Pandemic
Smallworld
Power Grid
Kingdom Builder
Escape: Curse of the Temple
Tikal
Settlers
King of Tokyo

I've played Trajan and Dominant Species once each and enjoyed both a lot. I'm probably forgetting some things here.

I forgot to put Fresco, Terra Nova, and Forbidden Island on the list. In addition to strategy games, I have Telestrations, A2A, Curses!, Rummikub, and Scrabble.

I also recently bought Android: Netrunner (phenomenal, it's my new obsession), Uchronia, and Ginkgopolis and got Dixit as a gift.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2013, 06:15:12 am »

I would really recommend Castles of Burgundy to anyone - this is probably my favorite game aside from Dominion currently, although I just got it for Christmas. You can read a lot of details at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/84876/the-castles-of-burgundy but it supports 2-4 players and is essentially another tile laying game based on dice. But what I really like is that you can influence die rolls so you aren't always locked into being stuck with awful rolls. Sometimes you play a dice-based game and you can't get anywhere because you need double 5's and never have the right luck, but with this game there is the ability to alter it. Each player has their own board that is unique (unless you all play with the basic one where there are 4 of the same) so you have to pay attention to both yours and your opponent's strategies. Anyway, there's plenty of reviews and videos on BGG if you're curious, but it's ranked 16 overall and well-worth your time.
Building on this I'd recommend Kingsburg: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/27162/kingsburg

It's also a dice rolling game, but not yahtzee. You use your dice to take spots on a board which other players then can't use. You can also put all your dice on one spot, but often you will get less recourses if you do this. So the trick is to spend your dice wisely, checking where other players can go to and make the most out of even poor rolls.

You have a player board with buildings which help with various things. At the end of each round a monster will be drawn from a deck and you need to make sure your strength beats the monster's otherwise bad things happen (lose points, lose resources, lose a building, etc...)

It's a good mix of light die rolling with some optimization. I have not played with the expansion, but it seems to add a ton of new and exciting stuff. I don't think it's a stretch to compare it with 7 Wonders, not that the games are much alike, but the feeling when playing them is a bit the same. It hits that medium length spot which is a good spot for me.

Short enough to keep easily bored players interested yet long enough that decisions actually matter.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2013, 09:06:44 am »

Neuroshima Hex!

Looks like... tile-laying combat game with four distinct factions.  Actually looks pretty neat.  It is available on both iOS and Android, and on the latter there is both a free Lite version and a paid one.  Sometime later I will try out the free version. :)

So I got the free lite version.  Pretty cool, actually.  I think there's a lot of luck on what tiles you get (a few grenades/snipers and gg) but the strategy is there.  Worth a look.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2013, 11:11:43 am »

I've downloaded it but haven't played it yet.

@Davio, how do you feel about Kingsburg vs. Alien Frontiers?

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2013, 01:39:27 pm »

I've downloaded it but haven't played it yet.

@Davio, how do you feel about Kingsburg vs. Alien Frontiers?
Well, I like both to be honest, but Alien Frontiers does seem to have a bit more of an avalanche problem because having an extra die is so good. Haven't played it enough to say this with certainty. I think they both please the same crowds. Kingsburg adds variety through the monsters and different buildings. Alien Frontiers adds variety through the wacky cards.

I think they both succeed in giving players always something to do with their dice. If I would be forced to pick one, it would be....ooh tough, Alien Frontiers I guess, but that's just because I like the theme a tad better. Its space theme is a view of what the future would look like with a 60's mindset. Kingsburg has a more generic medieval style, but the drawings are funny. With Alien Frontiers there's also more going on the central board and more interaction, with Kingsburg you're more focused on your own game. There is some interaction through blocking, but it's mostly limited to that.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

DG

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2013, 01:47:02 pm »

Alien Frontiers is good looking game with complicated mechanics that ultimately boils down to a couple of kingmaking decisions near the end of the game sadly. There are a lot of ways for players to spoil the chances of exactly one opponent and this nearly always trumps good play. If you want the same thing done faster you can play Family Business.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 01:49:49 pm by DG »
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 20 queries.