Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dizzying Complexity: Workshop/Island/Vineyards vs. Highway/Cellar/Tunnel  (Read 625 times)

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
+1

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201302/13/game-20130213-130556-37e296b8.html

This is a really interesting set with a dizzying amount of synergy going on.

For Vineyards, you have great support. Workshops is nice, and even better given Island being available. You also have Cellar which is a nice, Cheap friend to a Vineyard deck. Oh, and Transmute! So right there, that's a whole lot of good stuff for Vineyards. Rabid goes for this off the 4/3.

I'm first, but I'm 5/2. So already, I'm not planning to do the Vineyards thing. Highway/Cellar is the obvious opening. There's no trashing here, but my plan is to mix in a few Islands to do a little pseudo trashing, get a whole lot of Highways, and do big Highway + Islands with Cellar helping me out. Bridge is shiny but unnecessary; Workshop is better here.

Then I start to think about Tunnel. At first, Gold seems like it's going to get in the way of the big Highway chain I plan to have. But some unfavorable draws keeping me in the $3 range make me rethink this. So what I end up doing is more Cellar/Tunnel with a few Highways and Workshop.

My opponent's plan goes perfectly well; he gets 8 Vineyards worth 5 VP, and he has Islands and Tunnels and such. But Tunnel and Cellar make my deck really, really resistant to greening, such that I can manage to grab all the Provinces, lots of Duchies, and some Islands and Tunnels of my own. By the end-game, I'm really in control, and it would have taken 2 more bumps for his Vineyards to overtake me. He's never in the game for Provinces.

What do you guys think? Would my plan beat his if we both started 4/3?

Edit: Said "Ironworks" twice when I meant "Island."
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 04:38:24 pm by Robz888 »
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 20 queries.