Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Article Request: Knights  (Read 3383 times)

DrFlux

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +68
    • View Profile
Article Request: Knights
« on: February 13, 2013, 02:34:33 pm »

So I've only had a few games with knights: the first few were IRL and Dark Ages only. Many of these games had Rats or Fortress, and both of these are very effective counters to knights. Beggar is also passable in some cases. I played some other games without good engine potential, and once again knights was lackluster, as one might expect.

Then I played a game with no obvious defense, where Throne Room, Laboratory, and knights were all in the kingdom. After buying one province, a few throne roomed knights left him without anything useful in his deck. It seems like a deck that can play multiple knights a turn is really tough to beat. Its like a much better saboteur: it gives other benefit, and there is no "replacement" so 3 piling is harder.

It didn't seem like gaining lots of extra junk in your deck was that effective at stemming the onslaught. Having 2 cost engine pieces does seem to help (squire/native-village/hamlet). Am I right in my assessment though that if an engine is on the board with the knight, and no obvious defense, the game should be defined by the knight battle?

I'm not ready to write an article, but I'm starting to think more about this card.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
Re: Article Request: Knights
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 02:38:49 pm »
+1

One (expensive) defense against Knights is always on the board - Knights!

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 03:06:36 pm »

Graverobbers and rogues become quite strong when they can resurrect the knights. There are a lot of defenses within dark ages such as beggar, market square, fortress, rats, and so on.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 03:09:38 pm by DG »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 05:27:47 pm »
+2

Should I write a Knights article?  I like writing articles, but I'm not sure you all like reading them.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 05:37:34 pm »

KNIGHTS

If someone else buys Knights, you must buy Knights too.

If no one else buys Knights, buy Knights and profit.

Awesome Knights: The Militia variant and the gain-Gold-on-trash.
Lame Knight: The VP one. It's going to be trashed by the end of the game anyway.

Works with: Graverobber.

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 05:52:45 pm »

KNIGHTS

If someone else buys Knights, you must buy Knights too.

If no one else buys Knights, buy Knights and profit.

Awesome Knights: The Militia variant and the gain-Gold-on-trash.
Lame Knight: The VP one. It's going to be trashed by the end of the game anyway.

Works with: Graverobber.

Highway+Knights=Trash opponents provinces! Also if you play at least 3 Highways your Knights cannot trash other knights, and thus your safe!
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 07:44:33 pm »

Urg, Knights are really tricky. On their own they seem like crappy buys at $5, but then they start hitting your good cards and sometimes your opponent gets the cantrip or +2 actions one and plays them repeatedly. So you get your own Knights, except those also seem like crappy buys at $5, and they end up killing each other and you feel like they've gone to waste.

They just seem like a bad investment, except they're probably better than that...

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 07:47:14 pm »

Best Knight

Dame Molly-- You need villages to play your Knights and if no villages are on the board, this knight is the best

runner ups: Sir Bailey. It cantrips and doesn't use an action slot. Also, the gold gaining knight, the discard attack one, and the +cards knight are awesome. Also, the +$2 is pretty good as well.

The other knights are okay. VP Knight is usually the weakest.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 07:51:03 pm »

One nice defense against them is to buy a lot of potion cost cards since they are immune.
Well you *do* need a signature...

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 07:59:04 pm »
+1

One nice defense against them is to buy a lot of potion cost cards since they are immune.

But that's a double edged sword, because if you draw your Scrying Pool with your Gold, you have to trash the Gold. Sometimes it's better to buy lots of Silvers so you can trash them instead of your better cards.

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 08:08:17 pm »
+4

Should I write a Knights article?  I like writing articles, but I'm not sure you all like reading them.

We like reading the articles, don't worry. Just because we nitpick doesn't mean you should stop writing. In fact, we wouldn't bother arguing if we didn't think the article was worth having.

clb

• Tactician
  • Respect: +182
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 08:47:12 pm »

We like reading the articles, don't worry. Just because we nitpick doesn't mean you should stop writing. In fact, we wouldn't bother arguing if we didn't think the article was worth having.

I'll second that.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 10:09:37 pm »

I'll second that.

Done!
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

DrFlux

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +68
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 12:44:41 pm »

I really think the best ones are the actions/cards ones, because they fit nicely within an engine, and are the easiest to play repeatedly. Really, I think most of them are good in an engine, with the exception of the VP one. The trashing one and the workshop one seem to be very context dependent, over trashing might become risky if your opponent is also Knighting.

Urg, Knights are really tricky. On their own they seem like crappy buys at $5, but then they start hitting your good cards and sometimes your opponent gets the cantrip or +2 actions one and plays them repeatedly. So you get your own Knights, except those also seem like crappy buys at $5, and they end up killing each other and you feel like they've gone to waste.

They just seem like a bad investment, except they're probably better than that...

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2013, 01:14:38 pm »

I really think the best ones are the actions/cards ones, because they fit nicely within an engine, and are the easiest to play repeatedly. Really, I think most of them are good in an engine, with the exception of the VP one. The trashing one and the workshop one seem to be very context dependent, over trashing might become risky if your opponent is also Knighting.

If you are in a trashing war the Workshop one will actually win out.
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.