Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: How do you play this Torturer/Scheme set?  (Read 924 times)

catsclaw

• Golem
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
How do you play this Torturer/Scheme set?
« on: February 12, 2013, 10:30:53 pm »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201302/12/game-20130212-192844-c03f5b00.html

I don't like opening Conspirator, and I hoped the Cutpurse opening would hurt my opponent.  What should I have done, just mirrored my opponent's plays?

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
Re: How do you play this Torturer/Scheme set?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 10:44:09 pm »

I'm not sure what you got that Horse Traders for. It doesn't help against Torturer's attack at all. It's also too early for +buy.

The first player advantage here is pretty strong and you might need to take a Curse in order to stay running. However, I felt that you opponent made mistakes by getting those 2 Provinces and opened himself up to an opportunity to be punished.

Cutpurse is not so strong here because there are desirable cards at the $3, $4, and $5 price points. Probably it is stronger for player 1 than it is for player 2. The difference between Cutpurse and Conspirator later on is that Cutpurse is terminal while Conspirator is not necessarily so, and that small difference could count for something.

A forgotten consideration here is also Develop. I can't say for sure if it is any good or not in this kingdom, but it does trash out Estates for better cards and it also lets you take some Curses. The speed and consistency of Scheme/FV/Torturer is a little worrisome, as is the lack of alt VP, but I would definitely try it out playing from position 2.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.382 seconds with 20 queries.