Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Don't Call It a Comeback  (Read 4441 times)

guided

• Jester
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
Don't Call It a Comeback
« on: September 19, 2011, 11:09:25 am »

...OK, actually you can probably go ahead and call it a comeback.

I made the rather noobish mistake of trashing down to no coin sources beyond a Silver and a Steward at turn 9 (forgetting I was out of Copper for Moneylender), causing me to straight up lose 2 turns of tempo while I bootstrapped back up to Gold. That put me in a huge hole, and eventually I was down 4 Provinces to 0 with another Province trashed by Forge and the bitter taste of defeat rising in my throat. I knew it was time for Desperation Tactics(TM)!

I picked up 2 Potions and switched to Vineyards, giving my opponent no help in emptying the Province pile (until I emptied it myself to end the game). In 4 turns I managed to accumulate 7 Vineyards and enough cheapo action cards (Native Village) to pump them up to 6 VPs, just barely snatching victory from the jaws. (In retrospect, this actually looks like a solid Vineyards board from turn 1, but I'm quite bad at recognizing such boards.)

I particularly enjoy the score-vs.-turn graph on the CR game page ;D
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 11:11:46 am by guided »

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
Re: Don't Call It a Comeback
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 12:54:01 pm »

People always ask for good transmute decks and I'm guessing this is one of them. Steward/potion opener, transmute estates to gold, trash coppers with steward and sneak an early native village. Switch up to wharves and off you go with multiple wharf/native village purchases then potions and vineyards. Perhaps you can get there quicker in other ways though.

Fangz

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 01:42:48 pm »

I quite like this game I just played, where I found myself with a 8-2 curses split after my opponent got spectacularly lucky, swindling several of my coppers to curses and making me skip my familiar. Fortunately, loading up on lookouts managed to net me 5 peddlers, and grabbing a vault (while he kept grabbing useless bazaars for some reason) let me steal a victory.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201109/20/game-20110920-103539-d980b8a6.html

guided

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 01:34:53 pm »

Another comeback, though perhaps a less dramatic one. Dogged engine-building with King's Court and Alchemists in the face of an opponent's massive monetary and mounting VP lead. Ultimately the game-winning blow hinged on Feast and Horn of Plenty: KC/KC/Feast/Feast, gaining a big pile of Horns which were parlayed into Provinces on the final turn. It's not often I find a good use for Feast or Horn of Plenty.

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2114
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 02:21:36 pm »

My comeback from yesterday: after establishing a 4-0 Province lead on me, my opponent resigns with the score at 16-16.

I opened Ambassador/Silver/Ambassador against Ambassador/Ambassador/Silber, with my sights set on eventually having a City/Wharf/Ambassador deck that would draw itself while continually attacking, using any spare $4 buys on Caravans.

He went for a Minion deck, and bought Provinces as soon as he could, but without much money apart from 6 Minions which were also needed for cycling, his deck choked up right as mine was taking off.

Once my Wharves and Cities were established, I was able to easily shrug off the Minion attacks, and with the plentiful actions at my disposal I picked up a Curse and 2 more Ambassadors. In my last two turns I bought a Province and a City, then a Province and Duchy while successfully passing off all 10 Curses, at which point my opponent resigned.

It was very satisfying to see a really long-term strategy and have it come to fruition after being down 26 to -1 after 24 turns.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 03:05:56 pm »

Oh hey, that game!

Well played, sir. Well-played. I thought for sure I'd won when I was up 4-0 on provinces - definitely underestimated the sort of stuff you can pull with a deck that draws itself every turn and plays multiple ambassadors.

guided

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 03:27:42 pm »

It can be good strategy, if you started with 2 Ambassadors, to eventually send one of them back over to your opponent if you've thoroughly won the tennis match. In your slim deck, the 2nd Ambassador is hurting you more than it will help them. But be very careful that you don't do this too early, or in a situation where they might end up cycling a lot of cards and throwing all the trash back into your yard. I've snatched defeat from the jaws of certain victory that way on at least a couple occasions.

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2114
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 03:46:58 pm »

ftl: Thanks. I did get pretty worried for a while there, I was beginning to doubt I would get the Cities and Wharves off fast enough and it would end up being too little, too late. And I just now remembered what you said when we got into the game and you saw the board: "hoooly crap what a board." :)) I think the tricky thing about the 5's on that board was that Wharves obviously need good +Actions to be worthwhile, and City's an expensive way to do that when there isn't a pile that's empty or almost empty, but Minion is so good with just Minions it seemed like the more obvious choice.

guided: I think I've used that trick before, and I'm sure I've also done it too early before as well :P

My favorite thing in Ambassador games is when my opponent sees the damage I've done to their deck and they buy another (or their first) one too late in the game for it to be effective.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

Fangz

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 06:14:09 pm »

Yeah, it's like they've cursed themselves for your benefit.

guided

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 07:45:12 pm »

I've had a horrifically bad day on isotropic. Low-level opponents just drawing perfectly against me every time. Getting $7 literally 6 times without getting $8, when getting $8 once would have won me the game, and losing as a result. 5/2 starts on awesome 4/3 boards with no 5s, or no 5s other than Mint, followed by 4/3 against 5/2 with big power 5s and good 2s out. People playing Followers against me at turn 7. Like "screw this I'm never playing Dominion again" type day, I'm having here.

So when I saw this board, I set out with one goal in mind. Doing this to somebody:

— Razorfang's turn (possessed by led) —
   Razorfang picks up a card from a Haven.
   Razorfang plays a Throne Room.
   ... and plays a Nobles.
   ... ... drawing 3 cards.
   ... and plays the Nobles again.
   ... ... getting +2 actions.
   Razorfang plays a Treasury.
   ... (Razorfang reshuffles.)
   ... drawing 1 card and getting +1 action and +$1.
   Razorfang plays an Ambassador.
   ... Razorfang reveals a Province.
   ... returning 2 copies to the supply.
   ... led gains a Province.

Razorfang plays a Monument.
   ... getting +$2 and +1 â–¼.
   Razorfang plays 2 Golds.
   Razorfang buys a Province.
   ... led gains the Province.

Didn't care in the least that I was falling behind in the midgame. It feels a little better to spread some of my pain around, you see.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 07:48:25 pm by guided »

Elyv

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 10:52:48 pm »

This was a fun game. I decided to get a bunch of Festivals and Quarries, hoping to get a ton of torturers later, which I don't think was ideal. So after 16 turns, chwhite was up 26 to -2, and in a position to end the game in 1-2 turns. Then everything came together...

mith

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: mith
  • Respect: +778
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2011, 09:11:13 am »

Here's a game from yesterday that is a little different from the others posted... no alternate victory cards (though I did have a comeback with Fairgrounds recently as well), no strong attacks to cripple the opponent (the crippling was already done to me, in the form of 7 Curses from Sea Hag), no King's Court... not even a +Buy! My opponent actually questioned on the last turn why I wasn't just trashing my Mining Villages to get to 8 quickly, until I reminded him that he was still ahead on Duchies, and I had Remake... Not an engine I would have even tried if not for the 5/2 split putting me behind from the start.

mith

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: mith
  • Respect: +778
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2011, 09:15:04 am »

[Aside: I think there's a bug on councilroom with Fairgrounds? It seems to be counting them as 7 points in the second link.]

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2011, 05:49:45 pm »

This game was a lot of fun. My opponent gets a lead that I will never be able to recover from (22 points, almost 4 Provinces), so I have to resort to Saboteuring. I build up to 4 Saboteurs each turn thanks to Minions and I narrowly escape.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 05:52:30 pm by Geronimoo »

def

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +166
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2011, 04:36:33 pm »

This game was quite a strategical mess. I'm still in the phase where I get inspired by the new cards and sometimes almost mindlessly pick them, like in this game. No trashing but develop, and though grand market and border village were available, only one 5$ and no 4$ made it hard to use it for an easy advantage.
My vague plan was to hope for a late finish where I acquired some grand markets by developping and some more by spamming highways. It didn't work out at all in the beginning, with my opponent buying 5 provinces, one each turn, starting with turn 12.
The last two turns came to my rescue; I especially liked developping copper and estate to duchies thrice.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 21 queries.