Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dominion: Fantasy, a junk-themed fan expansion by mail-mi  (Read 5394 times)

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
Dominion: Fantasy, a junk-themed fan expansion by mail-mi
« on: February 12, 2013, 09:14:17 pm »

These are all of my updated cards. You may notice that one of the central themes is junking: almost all attacks junk, and there are cards that benefit from the junk.

Some cards have a new type "Enemy." This means that you add 10 extra curses to the supply when these cards are being used.

$2

Sorcerer's Apprentice
+1 action
Reveal the top card of your deck. Either discard it, put it back, put it into your hand, or trash it.
--
If you reveal this from the top of your deck, you may put this into your hand. If you do; if it is your turn, +1 action; and continue to reveal cards as if you hadn't revealed this card.
Action-Reaction

$3

Sphinx
Choose 1: +3 cards, put a card from your hand on top of your deck; +$3, all cards cost $1 more until the end of the turn; or trash 3 cards from your hand and gain a card costing up to $2
Action

Junkyard
Discard any number of cards from your hand. +2 cards per action card or curse card discarded, +1 card per every other card discarded. You may trash this card.
--
When you trash this card, +1 card

$4

Villager
+1 card
+2 actions
Look at the top and bottom card of your deck. Discard one and put the other on top of your deck.
Action

Slum
+1 card
+2 actions
Reveal your hand. +$1 per curse revealed.
--
When you gain this, gain a curse
Action-Enemy

Battleground
Worth 1 VP for every 3 (or 4) cards in your deck costing $0.
Victory-Enemy

Sorcerer
+$1 now and at the start of your next turn.
--
While this is in play, when another player buys a card that is not a Victory card, you may discard a card. If you do, +1 card.
Action-Duration

Centaur
+$2
Every player, including you, reveals the top card of their deck and either discards it or puts it back, your choice.
+1 card.
Action-Attack

Pegasus
+1 action
+$1
Discard a card from your hand. If it is a...
Treasure card, +1 card, +1 action 
Action card, +$1 and put this card back into your hand
Curse card, trash it and gain a silver, putting it into your hand.
Action

EDIT: Okay, here's the rest.

$5

Time Machine
+1 action
Gain a card costing up to $5 that is not named Time Machine that the player to your right played on your last turn and put it into your hand.

Area 51
+1 card
+1 action
Trash this card. If you do, put the top card of the Mystery pile on top of your deck.
--
Set up: Before the game, make a face-down pile of 10 random kingdom cards not in the supply costing at least $4 to make the Mystery pile (The Mystery Pile is not part of the supply)

Area 51 FAQ: Cards from the Mystery pile are not gained.

Griffin
Worth $0
Reveal your hand. +$1 per victory or curse card in your hand.
--
Once per turn, while this is in play, if you buy a victory card, +$1, +1 buy.
--
When you discard this from play, if you bought at least 2 victory cards this turn, you may put this on top of your deck.
Treasure

Cursed Idol
Worth $2
+1 buy
Gain any number of curses. +$ equal to the number of curses gained this way.
Treasure-Enemy

Dragon's Hoard
+$1
If this is your only action card in play at the start of your buy phase, +$2, +1 buy, and each other player may gain a card costing up to $3.
Action

Redo
Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing up to $4 more than it. Trash this card.
Action

Dragon
Trash up to two cards from your hand.
Gain a card that is not a victory card. Each other player gains a copy of the gained card.
Action-Attack-Enemy

Minotaur
Each other player reveals their hand. If a player reveals a victory card, they gain a curse. If a player does not reveal a victory card, +1 card, +$1
Action-Attack-Enemy

Quest
+1 buy
Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck. Put the revealed treasures into your hand, put the revealed actions back on top of your deck, and discard the rest.

$6

Titan
+2 cards
Reveal your hand.
If you revealed a copper, each other player discards down to 3 cards in hand
If you revealed a curse, each other player gains a curse and a copper, putting them into their hand.
Action-Attack-Enemy

Please note that most of these have not been playtested, and the ones that have haven't very much. And the Enemy type is just for fun, haven't tested any cards with that type yet.

EDIT: Added Quest, updated cards
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 04:56:51 pm by mail-mi »
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Fantasy, a junk-themed fan expansion by mail-mi
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 09:46:41 pm »

I think Sorcerer's Apprentice is nice. It's a reasonable 2$, as you can only trash/draw the top card. I didn't see that on first glance.

The second option with Sphinx is noticeably worse than the other too, but that's probably okay if you want to buy only one card, i guess... It's a nice way of keeping it bad where woodcutter would be needed as well as better on other occasions.

I don't know about Junkyard, though. Especially in a junk deck, i can't imagine this card does very good...

Same with Slum. Villages are usually Engine parts, and engines are very vulnerable to junking. Might be a bit counter-productive to mix both, at least without making this noticeably stronger.

Centaur looks good, very simple concept. The only thing i see is that, even though it does not provide + action, it is very obviously much stronger than Spy (not that few cards are...).

Sorcerer might do fine, i guess. It'll probably be much better in games with 3-4 players, helping you to a perfect hand. Attacks happen more often in such games, too, so maybe that'll balance it a bit. It still seems quite strong to me, but nothing i could actually judge upon without playtesting...

I like the action option with Pegasus, but it's a bit difficult to remember all the card does.
I like the option to put Pegasus back on your hand, but it needs to be redone for unlimited use.

Nice cards overall, Sphix probably is my favourite :)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 07:50:54 am by Asper »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 09:51:34 pm »

Sorcerer's Apprentice seems stronger than Lookout to me. Sure it can't both trash a bad card and discard another bad card early on, so slightly less cycling, but it can't ever force you to trash a good card either, plus it can be a cantrip.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 09:55:54 pm »

Sorcerer's Apprentice seems stronger than Lookout to me. Sure it can't both trash a bad card and discard another bad card early on, so slightly less cycling, but it can't ever force you to trash a good card either, plus it can be a cantrip.
Should it be three? I tested it with a different thing (a choose 1: +1 of anything) on the bottom instead of the reaction, and that was just a little too strong for two. With the reaction, which is really just a cute trick, it seems like a good two.

And if it is a cantrip, you aren't trashing anything, so I guess then it's worse than lookout?
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1184
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 10:17:43 pm »

Can't you use 2 pegasi to get infinite money? Even without that, it seems a bit too strong for 4. Although it might be okay. I'm not sure. The treasure option looks pretty nice though.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 10:33:43 pm »

Can't you use 2 pegasi to get infinite money? Even without that, it seems a bit too strong for 4. Although it might be okay. I'm not sure. The treasure option looks pretty nice though.
I guess if you got down to 6 cards in your deck. But in all other cases, you discard one pegasi and then you only have 1 left in your hand.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 11:15:32 pm »

Added $5's and the $6!

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1184
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 06:57:47 am »

I guess if you got down to 6 cards in your deck. But in all other cases, you discard one pegasi and then you only have 1 left in your hand.
Or if you draw your whole deck, which is not a rare circumstance.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 07:33:38 am »

Except it doesn't call for discarding a Pegasus, but any Action Card.

Open Pegasus/Chapel. Trash down to them both and 4 other cards (turn 6, latest). Play Pegasus, discard Chapel, draw Chapel, repeat untill you have 11$. Trash remaining yunk and buy a Colony. Then buy a Colony every turn, till you have 4. Take the 50/50 chance of drawing the Chapel and 4 Colonies once. Draw the Pegasus instead next turn, repeat again, buy the fifth Colony, win the game.

I really like the putting-it-back-in-your-hand idea, but drawing a card AND producing money is too much. I recommend doing something else than the +1card here, so you actually have to bring a card into play do this Pegasus engine. It'll guarantee you lose at least one action card from your deck this turn, making this far more balanced.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 07:49:22 am by Asper »

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 07:54:40 am »

Should it be three? I tested it with a different thing (a choose 1: +1 of anything) on the bottom instead of the reaction, and that was just a little too strong for two. With the reaction, which is really just a cute trick, it seems like a good two.

And if it is a cantrip, you aren't trashing anything, so I guess then it's worse than lookout?
Compare it to Pawn. Pawn also is a cantrip sometimes, especially without Actions or buys. As was pointed out in the entry about fan card costs, the difference between 2$ and 3$ is not that big, after all.
The +anything was of course to strong ;) You could use a 2$ card as a Laboratory with benefits, this way.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 07:59:34 am »

Open Pegasus/Chapel. Trash down to them both and 4 other cards (turn 6, latest). Play Pegasus, discard Chapel, draw Chapel, repeat untill you have 11$. Trash remaining yunk and buy a Colony. Then buy a Colony every turn, till you have 4. Take the 50/50 chance of drawing the Chapel and 4 Colonies once. Draw the Pegasus instead next turn, repeat again, buy the fifth Colony, win the game.

I really like the putting-it-back-in-your-hand idea, but drawing a card AND producing money is too much. I recommend doing something else than the +1card here, so you actually have to bring a card into play do this Pegasus engine. It'll guarantee you lose at least one action card from your deck this turn, making this far more balanced.

By no means buying 5 Colonies wins the game, but I agree with the point that leaving loopholes for producing infinite money (or infinite anything) is not a good idea.

One option would be to trash something or to just make it draw instead of get money, because trash and draw are limited by your deck size.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 08:23:10 am »

Time Machine
+1 action
Gain a card costing up to $6 that is not named Time Machine that the player to your right played on your last turn and put it into your hand. At the end of your turn, return that card to its appropriate supply pile.
Time machine isn't bad, but most of the time it will be obviously superior to Band of Misfits. I know you can only use cards your opponent used, but if everything else goes wrong, you'll at least be able to gain a treasure (Compare to Explorer). Why not gain a gold and remodel it in a Province, which your opponent wouldn't like to do, but you can without caring.

Area 51
+1 card
+1 action
Trash this card. If you do, put the top card of the Mystery pile on top of your deck.
--
Set up: Before the game, make a face-down pile of 10 random kingdom cards not in the supply costing $4 to make the Mystery pile (The Mystery Pile is not part of the supply)

Area 51 FAQ: Cards from the Mystery pile are not gained.
The face down pile is an interesting idea, and i guess a fixed price removes some swinginess... But trashing the card is too bad, if you compare it to iron hut, where you also have a choice. I'm actually curious if that would be played, other than that. Seems like something fun to playtest :)

Griffin
Worth $0
Reveal your hand. +$1 per victory or curse card in your hand.
--
Once per turn, while this is in play, if you buy a victory card, +$1, +1 buy.
--
When you discard this from play, if you bought at least 2 victory cards this turn, you may put this on top of your deck.
Treasure
We allready discussed a treasure giving +X$ according to the victory cards in your hand in Sylas' Thread. I playtested it earlier and it was very bad at producing money but had another benefit. Also compare griffin to Crossroads, which costs 2.

Cursed Idol
Worth $2
Gain any number of curses. +$ equal to the number of curses gained this way.
Treasure-Enemy
I imagine Cursed Idol to be very strong if you have a good trasher. Gain 9 curses, buy a colony, trash for three turns, repeat untill they have run out. Without, i think this is a very weak card. But it goes very good with your junk theme.

Dragon's Hoard
+$1
If this is your only action card in play at the start of your buy phase, +$2, +1 buy, and each other player may gain a card costing up to $3.
Action
Compare this to Horse Trader, which always gives +3$, is a strong defence and only costs 4$.

Redo
Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing up to $4 more than it. Trash this card.
Action
Redo is not only better than Feast, but extremely much better than feast. I don't know if 5$ is the right price for this.

Dragon
Trash up to two cards from your hand.
Gain a card that is not a victory card. Each other player gains a copy of the gained card.
Action-Attack-Enemy
If you use it as an attack, it's a bad Ambassador or a self-hurting Witch with trashing instead of drawing. If you use it as a benefit, the others get the same without having to buy Dragons themselves. Too weak for 5$ in my opinion.

Minotaur
Each other player reveals their hand. If a player reveals a victory card, they gain a curse. If a player does not reveal a victory card, +1 card, +$1
Action-Attack-Enemy
A question about Minotaur: Do the +1$, +1 card stack? If they do, this will clearly be a card bought more often the more players participate.

Titan
+2 cards
Reveal your hand.
If you revealed a copper, each other player discards down to 3 cards in hand
If you revealed a curse, each other player gains a curse and a copper, putting them into their hand.
Action-Attack-Enemy
At first glancee i missed out you could have turns where you attacked both ways and compared this to mountebank. I guess games will be hard where people only keep Titan, Curse and Copper on their hands and constantly attack each other. Clash of the Titans is nasty... Wonder if you'll often be able to pull of the double attack in normal game.

By no means buying 5 Colonies wins the game, but I agree with the point that leaving loopholes for producing infinite money (or infinite anything) is not a good idea.
I was talking about a 2 player game. There, buying 5 Colonies usually does win you the game.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 08:53:12 am by Asper »

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 12:09:00 pm »

Cursed Idol with Watchtower in hand allows you to gain and trash X curses for X money. You could theoretically empty the pile in one turn with just those two cards. Throw a couple +buy in there and game over.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 05:56:58 pm »

Thanks for the feedback!

Pegasus: So...
+1 action
+$1
Treasure card: +1 card, +1 action
Action card: +$1 and put this card back into your hand
Curse card: Trash it and gain a silver, putting it into your hand.

Cursed Idol: Add a cap maybe? Gain up to 3 curses, for each curse you gain +$1?

Time Machine: Up to $5 would be better, then. "Gain a card costing up to $5 that is not named Time Machine that your opponent played on their last turn and put it into your hand"

Griffin: It has other bonuses to boost it up. +$1 and +1 buy after victory card buy, then topdeck after 2.

Dragon's Hoard: One big difference: Horse Traders makes you discard.

Dragon: It has it's own after-the-fact reaction. I added that to boost it up to $5

Minotaur: Should it stack? Because it only attacks if attacking, and if you can't attack, it should give some bonus.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2013, 10:32:19 am »

Thanks for the feedback!

+1 action
+$1

Cursed Idol: Add a cap maybe? Gain up to 3 curses, for each curse you gain +$1?

Time Machine: Up to $5 would be better, then. "Gain a card costing up to $5 that is not named Time Machine that your opponent played on their last turn and put it into your hand"

Griffin: It has other bonuses to boost it up. +$1 and +1 buy after victory card buy, then topdeck after 2.

Dragon's Hoard: One big difference: Horse Traders makes you discard.

Dragon: It has it's own after-the-fact reaction. I added that to boost it up to $5

Minotaur: Should it stack? Because it only attacks if attacking, and if you can't attack, it should give some bonus.
Yeah, but Dragons Hoard costs more, is very bad in engines and not better than Horse Trader in junk decks. It's better ONLY if your entire hand (but, possibly, one card) is treasure cards, no attacks are played, trashing your starting estates/shelters is possible (best if you can get rid of the trasher itself) AND no engine is available that does better than big money. As many boards help engines, contain attacks or lack good and fast trashers, this will usually be far worse than Horse Trader. Not to mention the fact it allows every other player to gain a silver...

Griffin is something you'll like to put back on your deck if it does good, so yeah, probably you'll like to have this if you are in need of green and allready have some. It's different than the card we discussed, after all.

That's better, Pegasus and Cursed Idol are much less crazy this way.

Your opponents with watchtower will love you for your Dragons. "I'll just top-deck that platinum, thanks a lot." "A Curse? No, i think you should be the only one to gain one, have fun with it."... Compare Dragon to Jack of all Trades, which is also an after-the-fact reaction. It gains only one card and trashes only one, but draws cards and allows a bit of filtering. Plus it gives no advantage to other players if you want to gain a good card. Dragon might be nice with Moat, where players need to decide if they want to defend BEFORE your decision of what to gain, but it is horrible against Watchtower or Trader. Dragon is a 4$ to me, but well, it's your card after all...

About Minotaur: If it does not stack, many times you'll just get +1 Card, +1$, which is not very good for a Card costing 5. If it does, +4 Cards +4$ is crazy. Why don't you make the vanilla bonus standard and only the cursing a matter of chance?

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2013, 10:37:03 am »

+1 action
+$1
Let's hope Donald doesn't come up with a reaction saying "If you discard a card, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, trash the discarded Card". ;) If he does, Discard/Trash Reaction + Pegasus + Fortress...

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2013, 04:48:03 pm »

Okay, did some playtesting, and it looks like Cursed Idol needs a +1 buy to make the curses worth while. And I tested out a new card, Quest

Quest
$5
Action
+1 buy
Reveal the top three cards of your deck. Put the revealed treasures in your hand, put the revealed actions on top of your deck, and discard the rest.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2013, 04:52:39 pm »

Quest
$5
Action
+1 buy
Reveal the top three cards of your deck. Put the revealed treasures in your hand, put the revealed actions on top of your deck, and discard the rest.

This one seems ok, although it seems much worse than Margrave (probably also worse than Rabble or Torturer, but is less comparable to those). Is it too obvious that is not a $4? It is definitely not better than Smitty, it may be better at some situations, but definitely not at every (or almost every) situation.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2013, 05:01:59 pm »

Quest
$5
Action
+1 buy

This one seems ok, although it seems much worse than Margrave (probably also worse than Rabble or Torturer, but is less comparable to those). Is it too obvious that is not a $4? It is definitely not better than Smitty, it may be better at some situations, but definitely not at every (or almost every) situation.

Basically, Quest seems great for BM strategies (where you don't want to draw dead Actions), but terrible for engine strategies. I wouldn't say it necessarily incentivizes boring games, though, because you can buy more Actions, knowing that Quest won't draw them dead. Of course, you'd probably usually rather draw Treasure than topdeck Actions, especially since Quest gives +Buy. Hmm… Perhaps it would promote boring games after all. What do your tests indicate, mali-mi? Does the player that buys, say, 2 Quests and no other Action cards beat the player that buys Quests and other Actions?

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2013, 05:07:17 pm »

Quest
$5
Action
+1 buy

Basically, Quest seems great for BM strategies (where you don't want to draw dead Actions), but terrible for engine strategies. I wouldn't say it necessarily incentivizes boring games, though, because you can buy more Actions, knowing that Quest won't draw them dead. Of course, you'd probably usually rather draw Treasure than topdeck Actions, especially since Quest gives +Buy. Hmm… Perhaps it would promote boring games after all. What do your tests indicate, mali-mi? Does the player that buys, say, 2 Quests and no other Action cards beat the player that buys Quests and other Actions?
I haven't tried that out yet. I'll have to do that.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2013, 05:44:37 pm »

Reading from top down...

This "Enemy" concept is a bit scary in that it will heavily skew the balance of cursing attacks.  Also, adding just 10 extra curses means that it doesn't scale evenly through different numbers of players (in 2p, this DOUBLES the number of curses, in 3p, it only increases the pile by 50%).  I'll have to see what these Enemy cards do.

Sorcerer's Apprentice -- The action itself already seems pretty strong.  Arguably stronger than Lookout, IMO, and it's only $2.  Why do I think it is stronger than Lookout?  Lookout is non-drawing non-terminal and FORCES you to trash a card, which means that in the late game you sometimes will opt not to play it in case you draw three good cards.  Thus Lookout becomes a dead card.  But SA here gets around that completely.  You have a smaller selection, sure, but you are never forced to trash a card.  In fact, you can even draw it into your hand, meaning that you get lots of utility (non-terminal trashing, deck inspection and filtering) without any risk to your deck because you can always just choose the cantrip option.  For $2!

The reaction is interesting but too wordy.  The synergy with itself is nice.

I would recommend removing the "put it into your hand" option, or maybe the trashing option.  For the reaction, I would recommend cutting out the +1 action for the sake of simplicity.  This is a $2 card -- it doesn't need to be super flexible.

Sphinx -- This is interesting but I am not so sure about having the Courtyard option.  CY is very strong.  Since Sphinx is so flexible, I don't think it should have such a powerful choice.  The other options are neat.  The money option is actually worse than a pure +$2, but it opens up possible synergies with TfB cards.  The trashing option is neat because you are forced to gain (probably) weak card.

Junkyard -- Interesting Cellar variant.  Not sure how to evaluate it.  It *seems* weak to me, except in heavily junked decks.  But I am really not sure.

Villager -- Boring, but it's good to have some simple cards in a set.  I'd suggest changing it though:

Villager - $4 Action
+2 actions
Reveal the top and bottom card of your deck.  Put one in your hand and put the other one on top of your deck.

It's a bit more interesting, I think.

Slum -- Way too weak, especially with the on-gain.  I also don't see a particular reason for that Enemy subtype.  If you really want to play with this concept, I would suggest trying an on-gain that curses everyone including yourself.  It then functions as a kind of attack except you hurt yourself as well... and yet thanks to the action card itself it doesn't hurt you as much as the others.

Battleground -- this is brokenly powerful.  All you need to do is amass +Buy and pile on the Copper.  Way too strong.  Also, there isn't a great reason for the Enemy subtype here either.

Sorcerer -- The duration effect is pretty interesting.  I like it.  Compare this to other duration cards to make your phrasing a bit more consistent.  It should be: "Now and at the start of your next turn: +$1".

Centaur -- Very similar to Spy or Oracle.  That's alright.  I think it might actually be a bit too strong for a $4 cost, since it gives both +$2 and draws a filtered card.  Tough call.

Pegasus -- does a lot of different stuff, so hard for me to evaluate by theorycraft. :P

Time Machine -- extremely weak, IMO.  It is too swingy because it is based on your opponent's strategy AND his luck on that last turn.  Plus you don't get to keep the card?  OK, it is non-terminal and you get the card immediately, but I don't think that's enough to make the jump up from $3 Smuggler.

Not to mention that this causes huge tracking issues.  Normally you can remember what card you took and return it as demanded by the card text.  OK.  But what happens if, say, you gain a card and then discard it with Cellar?  What if you then reshuffle your deck?  Do you have to set aside the card you Time Machine'd so that you have it available to return at the end of your turn?  Do you just lose track (and yay now you get to keep the gained card)?  What happens if you TRASH the card you gained, or set it aside with Island?

Area 51 -- Probably too weak to cost $5.  Black Market only costs $3 but it gives you a choice of three AND the cards could be game-changing cards like a Curser on an attackless board, or Chapel on a board with no other trashing, or King's Court, or all other manners of goodness.  Area 51 is restricted to $4 cost cards, you get no choice (you just get one at random), and it is a one-shot.  It is generally not worth a $5 buy to get a random $4 card.  It's probably most viable with Fairgrounds, nothing else really (it would be much worse than Black Market for cobbling together a make-shift engine).

Griffin -- Tough to evaluate.  My gut says that it is often very weak, but sometimes very strong.

Cursed Idol -- I just don't like it.  Very, very rarely will it be worth it to gain a Curse just for +$1. Oh, it's a Silver+.  Hmm... I think that's alright.

Dragon's Hoard -- Seems... OK, I guess?  Only works with money strategies though, and there are probably better X's for BMX.

Redo -- One-shot super-Expand for $5.  Hm.  No idea how strong this is.  Probably ridiculous with King's Court.

Dragon -- I don't see a reason for this to have the Enemy type.  Since the gain is completely symmetric, this is basically "trash 2 cards" for $5.  Very weak.  I suppose the Attack type is on there because you can choose to gain junk to attack enemies, but then you're attacking yourself too so it doesn't really hurt them that much.  Embassy and Governor can also force your opponents to gain cards, but they aren't attacks.

Minotaur -- Again, I don't see a compelling reason to having the Enemy subtype.  Is it +1 Card, +$1 for every player that doesn't reveal a victory card?  The wording could be clearer.  These things aside, this looks interesting.

Titan -- I imagine this could lead to really long slogs where everyone's decks are full of Curses and Coppers and they're all playing fully-loaded Titans, which in turn ensures that their opponent will also be able to play a fully-loaded Titan.  Does not sound fun to me. :P

Quest -- Does enough that I'm not sure of its strength.  Seems interesting.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 20 queries.