Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All

Author Topic: Iso or Goko?  (Read 47257 times)

pinkymadigan

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
Re: Education
« Reply #100 on: February 18, 2013, 08:37:41 am »

That's not a convincing argument for action now, since Iso remains up for the time being. In fact it's not much of an argument for action when Iso does eventually go down since your call to action is essentially "play on Goko or don't". I said CONVINCE me.

Convince yourself? I personally don't give two figs where you (or anyone, for that matter) plays.

A simple no would suffice. Actually just not saying anything would since it's not like I asked you personally, but thanks for weighing in anyway. Do you play on Iso or Goko? This is relevant to me now.

It's more than a simple no, it's advice. Check them both out, they are both free. How difficult is it to make a simple decision like this for yourself?

OMG! I can't decide whether I want Coke or Sprite someone convince me!

How difficult is it to just say "well if you switch then you'll get X, Y, or Z"? Apparently really hard I guess. When I tried using Goko my browser kind of exploded on me. Do I have a reason to invest more time in figuring this out? I just figured I could ask people who already know the answer. Keep mocking me though. It's probably the best use of your time.

I'm just glad we're not doing the usual goko discussion.

If your browser exploded, then there's your reason to not switch. Problem solved. Now you'll just have to stop playing when Iso closes.

Warrior

• Golem
  • Respect: +54
    • View Profile
Re: Iso or Goko?
« Reply #101 on: February 18, 2013, 05:46:18 pm »

But you didn't already buy it.  Just because you already bought Gone with the Wind on VHS doesn't mean they'll send you the BluRay for free.  There's nothing wrong with watching it on VHS, but if you want to watch the BluRay, you do have to pay for it again.

im aware of the business model. i know they need to make money. i know they don't have to give it to me for free just because ive bought the actual cards. but ive spent over $200 on the game and i dont want to pay more to play online. it might be that a lot of people agree with me, and if that's the case, then it may not have been a good idea to put money into creating a paid version of online dominion. time will tell.

Again, then play with people who've already bought all the expansions.

Does this really work? I mean, if I haven't bought all the expansions but play with someone who has, I will be able to play the expansions they own but I don't?

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 18, 2013, 06:02:44 pm »

Yes. The expansions used are those which are owned by the person who creates the game.

Warrior

• Golem
  • Respect: +54
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 18, 2013, 06:04:34 pm »

Yes. The expansions used are those which are owned by the person who creates the game.

Got it! So anyone with expansions who wants to play me on goko, just send me a message here!! ;)

Warrior

shMerker

• Duke
  • Respect: +389
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 18, 2013, 08:48:04 pm »

That's not a convincing argument for action now, since Iso remains up for the time being. In fact it's not much of an argument for action when Iso does eventually go down since your call to action is essentially "play on Goko or don't". I said CONVINCE me.

Convince yourself? I personally don't give two figs where you (or anyone, for that matter) plays.

A simple no would suffice. Actually just not saying anything would since it's not like I asked you personally, but thanks for weighing in anyway. Do you play on Iso or Goko? This is relevant to me now.

It's more than a simple no, it's advice. Check them both out, they are both free. How difficult is it to make a simple decision like this for yourself?

OMG! I can't decide whether I want Coke or Sprite someone convince me!

How difficult is it to just say "well if you switch then you'll get X, Y, or Z"? Apparently really hard I guess. When I tried using Goko my browser kind of exploded on me. Do I have a reason to invest more time in figuring this out? I just figured I could ask people who already know the answer. Keep mocking me though. It's probably the best use of your time.

I'm just glad we're not doing the usual goko discussion.

If your browser exploded, then there's your reason to not switch. Problem solved. Now you'll just have to stop playing when Iso closes.

You are investing a lot of time in this discussion for someone who "doesn't care two figs". I guess figs are a lot more valuable wherever you are.

Having it not work on the first try is a pretty big drawback. Big enough to keep me from getting over the "just try it" hump that would otherwise be non-existent. That's why I got on here and was like "hey just wondering am I missing out on anything awesome?" because I thought that would take less effort than trying to troubleshoot the problem and potentially obviate the need but it turns out I was kind of wrong about that because I have some kind of perverse need to explain myself to people who seem to think I'm helpless and stupid because I asked a question and then reframed it when I got an unsatisfactory answer.

The paragraph above is not a question and it doesn't contain a problem that needs solving. Just saying is all I guess. I would like to correct you on a matter of fact though. I don't have to stop playing online when Iso closes, because there's Goko.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 08:49:06 pm by shMerker »
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."

pinkymadigan

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 19, 2013, 09:30:35 am »

The paragraph above is not a question and it doesn't contain a problem that needs solving. Just saying is all I guess. I would like to correct you on a matter of fact though. I don't have to stop playing online when Iso closes, because there's Goko.

Well, if it explodes your browser, then yes, you will have to stop playing. Or find an alternative.

jhkokst

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 19, 2013, 06:17:56 pm »
+1

This past week I have been heading over to Goko more often than Iso - primarily for access to DA cards. As previous people have said, the experience is reaching a point where I might shell out the dough for cards.  I have to agree that it lacks the same kind of competitive feel as Isotropic. But if they continue to take player requests into account, and the player base continues to grow as it currently is, it may get there.

+'s
Card art
Dark Ages
Relatively quick gameplay if your opponent knows what they are doing
Relatively short wait for a game if you find an opponent who you enjoy playing with and agree to matches
Player base that is growing in competitiveness
It is completely free and I am finding that many people I play with own all the sets

-'s
Lack of automatch means considerable wait times in situations other than what I mentioned above
Lack of any sort of misclick protection - major annoyance as you get used to the interface
Lack of a log that is actually usable during gameplay (w/o opening the log screen)
Lack of a single room - I general bounce between the occupied rooms to find games
Issues with dropped players/disconnects
Occasional bugs
The revamped store with a megapack that costs more than the individual sets combined

Regarding the IP debate.  Most boardgame companies require payment for access to the online equivalent.  Hasbro has most of their games out through Pogo.com - which costs $5 a month.  Settlers of Catan also cost $5 a month for access to all expansions etc.  At the end of the day, one can go onto Goko and play base for free, with a high probability of playing all sets for free (because someone else paid).  I know money doesn't grow on trees, but $45 isn't that much to ask for access to an online player base of dominion players w/ the chance to play cards from all sets.  THAT is the privilege you are paying the $$$ for, and it is something that was not promised to you when you bought the physical sets.  Heck, I've had hangovers that cost me well over twice that. 

Lastly, I think its clear that Goko is marketed towards people who prefer to play Dominion online.  People like the top 10 on Isotropic who have logged an average of 5500 games per player (and I'm guessing tat and dekomri are alts, which would inflate that number).  That's less than a penny a game if they were playing on Goko. 

But if you don't want to pay...don't.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 06:21:46 pm by jhkokst »

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #107 on: February 19, 2013, 07:37:07 pm »

Does Goko have anything like Isotropic's ability to play random with specific cards or sets?
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 19, 2013, 07:38:27 pm »

Not yet.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 19, 2013, 08:48:27 pm »

Does Goko have anything like Isotropic's ability to play random with specific cards or sets?

Halfway.  You can't specify "10 random from this set," but you can specify "these four cards and six random others."
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 20, 2013, 03:11:28 am »

Given the additional positive comments, jumped over to try Goko out.  It runs on Chrome for iPad, but not very well.  As mentioned, I only have mobile computing at my disposal, so until Goko supports mobile devices, I literally cannot switch.

Also, I attempted multiplayer, found an open seat, took it...and nothing happened.  I just was in the slot, but no game started.  That is no fun at all.

Single player worked.  A little wonky and choppy with the animations, but I was able to complete a game without problem.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

loppo

• 2014 Austrian Champion
  • Respect: +194
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 20, 2013, 05:02:48 am »

Also, I attempted multiplayer, found an open seat, took it...and nothing happened.  I just was in the slot, but no game started.  That is no fun at all.

The host of the game decides
  - when to start the game
  - if he wants you in the game (he can kick you out, before the game begins)

so getting a free ride, takes some patience. However if you have the cards getting a game started is a jiffy.

GiB

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +59
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 20, 2013, 12:31:50 pm »

++ Decent AI, adventure mode
- Hand is not sorted until it reaches big size, misreads possible
-- Lack of any in-game point counter

Card art is not really a plus. At least I really like Treasure cards on Iso being differently colored, Goko seems to be favoring hand-misreads. Is it possible to have the new art for base cards ?

The main reasons I prefer Iso right now are the log, Goko's loading time and occasional crashes, hand display and point counter.

If Goko fixes all that I'll gladly make the switch, but right now it goes something like Iso >>>> Goko > IRL.

shMerker

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 20, 2013, 05:22:01 pm »

Well, if it explodes your browser, then yes, you will have to stop playing. Or find an alternative.

I'm sure there's a way to fix it. I alluded to as much above. Tell me more about what I can and can't do. I can't honestly tell if you think you're proving something or we're just both trying to bait each other into some kind of pointless discussion.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 05:32:23 pm by shMerker »
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."

pinkymadigan

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 21, 2013, 08:50:16 am »

I'm sure there's a way to fix it. I alluded to as much above. Tell me more about what I can and can't do. I can't honestly tell if you think you're proving something or we're just both trying to bait each other into some kind of pointless discussion.

Okay, then my original point stands. Fix it and convince yourself. This is getting rather circular.

shMerker

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 21, 2013, 07:23:46 pm »

Okay, then my original point stands. Fix it and convince yourself. This is getting rather circular.

No it's cool. I got my answer. Thanks.

Dargone

• Swindler
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 24, 2013, 02:27:10 pm »

Wife and I are loving Goko. For us, $45 was a steal to get all the cards.

olneyce

• 2011 DS Champion
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 24, 2013, 04:37:32 pm »
+2

+'s
Card art
Dark Ages
Relatively short wait for a game if you find an opponent who you enjoy playing with and agree to matches
It is completely free and I am finding that many people I play with own all the sets
"Relatively short wait for a game if you find an opponent who you enjoy playing with and agree to matches" is about as backhanded a compliment as I can imagine.  The wait time if you have an opponent to play multiple games with ought to be basically zero.

How is the wait time if you just want a competitive game against a random person?  For Iso it's ~10 seconds.  My limited experience on Goko says that it's a lot more.  Would those who play more disagree?

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1183
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 24, 2013, 04:48:47 pm »

Also, relatively quick gameplay?
Relative to what?
The only thing I can compare it to is iso, and iso games tend to take less time, I'm pretty sure.

Dargone

• Swindler
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 24, 2013, 05:08:05 pm »

+'s
Card art
Dark Ages
"Relatively short wait for a game if you find an opponent who you enjoy playing with and agree to matches" is about as backhanded a compliment as I can imagine.  The wait time if you have an opponent to play multiple games with ought to be basically zero.

How is the wait time if you just want a competitive game against a random person?  For Iso it's ~10 seconds.  My limited experience on Goko says that it's a lot more.  Would those who play more disagree?

Played last night and I never waited more than a minute or so to get a game going. To be fair, it was a Saturday night...

Blueswan

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: February 25, 2013, 02:42:11 am »

Love Goko except for the constant lagging and occasional crashes.

Is Goko running smoothly (no lagging) for anyone?

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 25, 2013, 02:52:21 am »

No lag for me. I do experience the occassional crash though.

Blueswan

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 25, 2013, 03:11:12 am »

No lagging, really? What I wouldn't give for that. Which browser are you using?

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 25, 2013, 03:44:32 am »

No lagging, really? What I wouldn't give for that. Which browser are you using?

I'm using Chrome.

loppo

• 2014 Austrian Champion
  • Respect: +194
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 25, 2013, 04:51:11 am »

no lag for me either. And almost no crashes (most crashes are quits/freezes from opponents). I think the last time the game crashed on me was 3 weeks ago. Also running chrome.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 21 queries.