Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Author Topic: Iso or Goko?  (Read 47256 times)

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
Iso or Goko?
« on: February 10, 2013, 05:55:04 pm »

I apologize if this has been done before. Just want to know where the majority go to play.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Re: Iso or Goko?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 05:57:24 pm »

Why is the poll locked?

EDIT: Now there doesn't seem to be a poll.  At any rate, I now play exclusively on Goko.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 06:02:24 pm »

Why is the poll locked?

EDIT: Now there doesn't seem to be a poll.  At any rate, I now play exclusively on Goko.
Meh, issues ensued with the poll. Anyway it on now and I play on Iso.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

mameluke

• Duke
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 06:44:47 pm »
+3

I like the DA cards too much to not play on Goko these days.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 06:58:02 pm »

I remain on Iso for now; when Goko has all the expansions up--which at this point is just Alchemy--I'll make the switch to Goko, as they will have satisfied my "good enough" criteria at that point.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 07:00:39 pm »
+2

I think I'll stay on Isotropic until Guilds comes out.

OMG Guilds is coming out next month.

Mad, I tell you.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 07:23:24 pm »
+1

I think I'll stay on Isotropic until Guilds comes out.

OMG Guilds is coming out next month.

Um... Guilds is slated for "Spring."  So, expect May, maybe June.  Probably June for Origins.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

zporiri

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: zporiri
  • Go, and do likewise.
  • Respect: +130
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 07:44:34 pm »
+1

i only play on iso. i own all the cards and dont feel like i should have to pay for the online version so i am boycotting goko. i know my impact will not even be noticed and most people probably dont agree with me, but that's how i feel.
Go, and do likewise.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 07:52:58 pm »
+2

I'm  with ya all the way, zporiri.

Mad, I tell you.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 07:55:20 pm »
+2

i only play on iso. i own all the cards and dont feel like i should have to pay for the online version so i am boycotting goko. i know my impact will not even be noticed and most people probably dont agree with me, but that's how i feel.

You don't have to pay for it - just play off of someone else's cards.

As for the whole thing being free:
1) Goko needs to make money somehow
2) This is on a different platform - not everything in life is free
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2013, 08:27:05 pm »
+2

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2013, 08:31:52 pm »
+1

Mad, I tell you.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 08:32:37 pm »

I'm  with ya all the way, zporiri.

Me too.

I know that they need it to cost money, so I just don't want to spend the money to get something I already bought.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2013, 08:36:23 pm »
+2

But you didn't already buy it.  Just because you already bought Gone with the Wind on VHS doesn't mean they'll send you the BluRay for free.  There's nothing wrong with watching it on VHS, but if you want to watch the BluRay, you do have to pay for it again.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2013, 08:39:09 pm »

But you didn't already buy it.  Just because you already bought Gone with the Wind on VHS doesn't mean they'll send you the BluRay for free.  There's nothing wrong with watching it on VHS, but if you want to watch the BluRay, you do have to pay for it again.
But is Goko necessarily better than RL like BluRay is better than VHS?

Mad, I tell you.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2013, 08:46:35 pm »

Only if you enjoy playing online without dealing with setup time.  Otherwise, arguably no.  But since this forum is mostly about playing Dominion online, I dare say that on average, for this group, yes, it's better than RL Dominion.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2013, 08:52:22 pm »

Only if you enjoy playing online without dealing with setup time.  Otherwise, arguably no.  But since this forum is mostly about playing Dominion online, I dare say that on average, for this group, yes, it's better than RL Dominion.
It is better for this community, yes, but for each seperate individual?

Mad, I tell you.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2013, 08:59:29 pm »

It is better for this community, yes, but for each seperate individual?

Like I said, then:  if you enjoy playing online, then Goko is better than RL.  If you don't, then it's not--but then neither is Iso.

zporiri

• Golem
  • Go, and do likewise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2013, 09:34:27 pm »

im aware of the business model. i know they need to make money. i know they don't have to give it to me for free just because ive bought the actual cards. but ive spent over $200 on the game and i dont want to pay more to play online. it might be that a lot of people agree with me, and if that's the case, then it may not have been a good idea to put money into creating a paid version of online dominion. time will tell.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 09:36:00 pm by zporiri »
Go, and do likewise.

zporiri

• Golem
  • Go, and do likewise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2013, 09:44:50 pm »

You don't have to pay for it - just play off of someone else's cards.

i actually didnt know that, thanks for the info
Go, and do likewise.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2013, 09:45:31 pm »

im aware of the business model. i know they need to make money. i know they don't have to give it to me for free just because ive bought the actual cards. but ive spent over $200 on the game and i dont want to pay more to play online. it might be that a lot of people agree with me, and if that's the case, then it may not have been a good idea to put money into creating a paid version of online dominion. time will tell.

Again, then play with people who've already bought all the expansions.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2013, 09:59:03 pm »

It DOES mean that if I use the VHS that I legally obtained to create a Blu-ray disc, no one will come to my house and confiscate the Blu-ray disc because I did that.
Which is what, in essence, is happening when Isotropic gets shut down, even for people that have paper copies of the game. 

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2013, 10:06:42 pm »
+2

It DOES mean that if I use the VHS that I legally obtained to create a Blu-ray disc, no one will come to my house and confiscate the Blu-ray disc because I did that.
Which is what, in essence, is happening when Isotropic gets shut down, even for people that have paper copies of the game.

Except the analogy doesn't quite work.  If you want to show a movie in a public setting, you have to get permission.  Anyone who's run a college club should know this.  If isotropic were just something a couple friends used, that would be fine.  But isotropic is more than just a couple friends - it's essentially the equivalent of taking your VHS-ripped BluRay and holding a showing of Gone with the Wind in a public park.  Without getting permission from whoever holds the rights to the movie right now.

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2013, 10:12:09 pm »
+1

i'm not sure this is the best analogy because of the large generation gaps between vhs and bluray. it is not as if this community is demanding that we get a free online version of monopoly just because we picked up a copy at a garage sale. dominion hasn't even been out for five years yet. most movies these days (both dvd and bluray) come with some sort of digital download. likewise, each of my recent album purchases have come with a digital download as well.

i know that they have no obligation to do so, but it is becoming common practice these days for people to pair their product with an online counterpart. and for a company with a PR history like goko has i am a little surprised that they haven't taken a step in this direction. you wouldn't have to make the online version totally free, there are compromises. reduced costs, a month of free play, something. i would rather have a jam packed lobby and build a buzz around the game than sit back and hold out for every penny possible.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 10:33:08 pm by greatexpectations »
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2013, 10:15:22 pm »

Why can't we make isotropic a private thing you sign up for then, only if you have the game?  I don't think there's a product code or anyway we can prove we own the game, but I don't feel that's my fault.  If I go to isotropic and type in a kingdom using just Seaside, Hinterlands, and Base I'm not using anything I haven't paid for, but there's this guilty until proven innocent sort of thing going on where the whole thing is getting shut down (and any fanmade implementations like it in any form) because you -might- not have a paper copy of the game, so you need to pay again to make sure.

Like I am totally an intellectual property friendly kinda guy, but I'm also a right-of-first sale kind of guy, and this violates right-of-first sale.

And yeah, analogies tend to have problems, but, let's just abandon analogies altogether, because as I was taught in my rhetoric class, analogies are useful for teaching a concept to someone who is not at all skeptical but utterly useless in disagreements.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 20 queries.