Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Misc. things that still bug me about Goko  (Read 2826 times)

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
Misc. things that still bug me about Goko
« on: February 09, 2013, 09:21:54 pm »
+1

I gave a go at signing up for Goko recently and was reminded of why I still play on isotropic. So here are some things that bugged me going through the sign-up process & initial games, with suggestions about what to do instead (because hey, being constructive is good).

At registration time, as far as I know it's still true that if I don't sign up with Google+, then I can't ever get Walled Village. I prefer not to use my social media accounts for sign-ups in general, but that's not really the point. It displays a lack of respect for your users to not let them pay you money for the game. Same goes for the unlockable promos, for that matter. I suggest making a promo pack available for purchase.

It's apparently still not possible to buy, in one purchase, exactly the number of Goko coins needed for the mega pack. Why not? Seriously guys, don't make it awkward to buy your stuff. Maybe some combination of smaller clumps of coins can do it, but why even make it that complicated? I suggest allowing Goko coins to be bought in any quantity, or failing that, at least in the quantities that correspond to stuff you want to spend them on.

Text layout on cards is messed up. For example, Ironmonger. Compare side-by-side the Goko version and the IRL card. I have attached both for your convenience. The Goko version has not enough space between lines of text. For example, the d in "discard" overlaps the y in "your". Also the options at the bottom are not grouped together like they are in the real card. This is super minor, I admit, but hey. I suggest tweaking the display to look like the real cards, or even better, getting someone with typography knowledge to have a crack at making them nice.

The log button still doesn't toggle the log. Clicking the button shows the log, but clicking it again doesn't hide the log. In my opinion, it would make the log a ton more usable for this to be a toggle.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
Re: Misc. things that still bug me about Goko
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 10:04:46 pm »

Seriously. Do we really need ANOTHER thread for negative feedback on Goko. There are about a million others.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 12:32:07 am »

The text layout is an issue for you because they don't have a standalone jpg of each card.  It's assembled, and will look different depending on what you're looking at it on.  If you have a crappy screen size, it's gonna be all squished together, congratulations.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 12:58:46 am »
+1

The text layout is an issue for you because they don't have a standalone jpg of each card.  It's assembled, and will look different depending on what you're looking at it on.  If you have a crappy screen size, it's gonna be all squished together, congratulations.

This is incredibly amusing given that one of the major benefits of Goko was supposed to be to spruce things up to look like the real cards.

Edit:  Also, was there some reason they don't have a .jpg for each one?  Presumably a few, one in each of the different sizes.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 01:00:12 am by Kirian »
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 01:42:32 am »

Once you take into account different languages with different sizes, it's easier to assemble them out of parts. Plus, it makes errors easier to fix - change the part instead of making a new image file.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 02:21:47 am »

Once you take into account different languages with different sizes, it's easier to assemble them out of parts. Plus, it makes errors easier to fix - change the part instead of making a new image file.

You know, using the actual image that was used to print the card will probably make errors impossible.

As far as other languages, well, it's just another set of images to store, plus a localization file.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 03:06:29 am »

How can my screen size even matter, given that the Goko interface is the same size everywhere?

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 02:44:29 am »

Ehh, I could care less if the text looks just a little off at times. It's not that big of a deal to me.

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 03:02:52 am »

How can my screen size even matter, given that the Goko interface is the same size everywhere?

I'm QUITE sure the text layout is not dependend on screen modifications.

As it is, well, it's probably a matter of taste. What they did is to increase the font size with the intention to make it better readable, which in some cases led to quite narrow line spacings and sometimes even slight overlaps.

I actually do like the new implementation, but I understand if people think differently. However, I don't think this is really a reason to mad at Goko - sometimes I think people look for reasons to be mad at Goko just for the sake of being mad at Goko. This doesn't help anybody.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 03:04:42 am by kn1tt3r »

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 03:20:46 am »

I actually do like the new implementation, but I understand if people think differently. However, I don't think this is really a reason to mad at Goko - sometimes I think people look for reasons to be mad at Goko just for the sake of being mad at Goko. This doesn't help anybody.

People are mad at Goko because it is hard to forget.

pinkymadigan

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 08:59:19 am »
+1

You know, using the actual image that was used to print the card will probably make errors impossible.

As far as other languages, well, it's just another set of images to store, plus a localization file.

I think this is an optimization point. While I agree that it is more error prone, storing the colored frames once in memory and writing the text dynamically to each copy on screen is the correct way to do this from a programming standpoint.

I think not doing this is what caused a lot of the earlier memory bloat we saw (I don't know, but I had suspected they were loading in all card images for some reason or another).
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.763 seconds with 21 queries.