werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
So...
« on: February 09, 2013, 04:06:07 pm »

I've been getting my ass handed to me in a lot of games.  Do you think it's worth it to post videos where I lose, or just to post ones where I win?  Or should I try to be more gracious in my comments when losing?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
Re: So...
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 03:37:48 am »
+2

The ones where I lose are by far the most educational to me. I'd say if you're going to post anything, losing games are the most important.

As far as your comments go. I don't know what other people think, but I think you should just be yourself. If people don't like your videos because of the way you speak, then they won't watch them (or if they troll you then they're just sad, sad people). I find your comments amusing, even though I can understand how some wouldn't. If you're frustrated, I think that's OK, because everybody gets frustrated when they play, especially in a game with such a large luck component.

In the videos I recently posted where I played against Donald X. (squee) I made no effort to hide my fanboyism. To make a video where I'm not being myself just to pander to other people would be dishonest and I wouldn't do it. So I don't think you should either.

If you want to get better, something I do is I try to never blame shuffle luck (even when it's clearly the culprit) and find other reasons why I lost the game (and even when I win, I still try and find ways to improve what I did, but that's much harder to motivate myself to do). I know you had a rough couple of games today and I'd be frustrated too if that happened, but I'm reminded of my 3rd round loser's bracket match where I lost. I'm extremely glad I posted those videos, even though I really didn't want to.

Anyways, my thoughts. Take 'em or leave 'em.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 10:21:39 pm »

How are you not gracious?

Jacob marley

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jacob Marley
  • Respect: +139
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 01:13:22 pm »

Post them all and just be yourself.  I for one like watching you, and would love to play you, but I don't get on consistantly and play late west coast time, so I doubt you are on at the same time much.

Having said that, I think that your experience matches something I have noticed, and that is that play quality on Goko seems to be increasing.  When I started playing pro games, I opened with an 8 game win streak, and at one point was actually slightly ahead of you on the leaderboard.  Since then I have been losing the majority of my games, to clearly more experienced players.  If it is true that play quality is increasing, then I think that is good for Goko, even if it is frustrating.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 09:31:46 pm »

If you do post a game that you lose, try to make an effort to review the game and spot possibilities for improvement.

bedlam

• Bishop
  • Respect: +72
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 02:49:45 pm »

I assume you play enough games that there are plenty to choose from. I think it would be best to post the games where a strategic lesson can be learned by us, whether you win or not. If I want to watch a random game with no strategic input or feedback, I would watch myself play on Goko... I think that games filmed and posted should have a reason to be posted, either a new strategy that you learned, or a good example of a typical strategy that worked for you, or pointing out typical errors that newbs make (villiage idiot...etc.) Anyway, each episode should have a lesson of some sort.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 03:00:47 pm by bedlam »

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 02:53:04 pm »

Agreed about posting a game with a strategic lesson. Or, a strategic question. For instance, you might be wondering if an engine worksmon a board and try it. Say it doesn't work but is close. Post that game and ask for input on building the engine better.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 02:59:30 pm »

In the process of making Dominion Tutorial videos and watching other videos, I've found that even posting boring games can have a huge benefit to the viewer, particularly when it comes to tactics. I usually pause the video once I see the kingdom and formulate what I'd do before I watch the video.

I'm convinced that there's value in posting every game you play.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 20 queries.