Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: New card idea - Clearance Sale  (Read 2811 times)

ryan82

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
New card idea - Clearance Sale
« on: September 18, 2011, 09:33:24 pm »

Clearance Sale
Cost: 6
Action

+2 Cards
+2 Actions
+$3

You may only buy one of these cards per game. If you buy a Victory card while this is in play, trash this card. You may not buy another one.

Setup: The Clearance Sale pile contains only a number of cards equal to the number of players. An empty Clearance Sale pile does not count towards ending the game.

Thoughts?

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
Re: New card idea - Clearance Sale
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 10:05:13 pm »

This is brokenly strong if there's a way to Gain cost-6 cards without Buying them. It's pretty strong even in the absence of such an ability.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

ryan82

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 10:28:49 pm »

It is very strong, but I'm thinking it might pose an interesting dilemma when deciding whether to lose it in favor of a Province/Colony, or continue using it to get Golds/Platinums.

Besides, there already is a card that lets you gain $6 cards without buying them - Smugglers.

(As for my other card suggestion, I deleted the topic because, upon further reflection, I realized it really wasn't a good idea).

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 11:23:41 pm »

So you can buy one and Remodel a Remodel into the other and your opponent can't have one?

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +275
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 11:25:56 pm »

Besides the fact that the restriction you are trying to implement is improperly worded, this card has a major flaw: It is a must-buy in every game that it appears in. Sure, we can only have one, but it makes the race to $6 all that much more meaningful and plays a huge factor in deciding the game. If a card is a must-buy or never-buy it is not very much fun and does not add depth to the game. Sorry for the harshness, but yeah, I'm not a fan.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 04:54:31 pm »

It may be worth noting that the game decision you're going for - "When do I trash this to buy green?" - seems like nearly the same game decision that happens with Salvager around, and you have to decide when to start trashing your engine cards or your gold for green.

biopower

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 05:23:20 pm »

It may be worth noting that the game decision you're going for - "When do I trash this to buy green?" - seems like nearly the same game decision that happens with Salvager around, and you have to decide when to start trashing your engine cards or your gold for green.

Or Remodel, Remake (with $7 cards), Expand, Upgrade, etc.

play2draw

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 12:52:49 am »

I think the "you may not buy another one" is a tad wonky to work into the game. Probably the card should weaken when you play more than one... something like

"If Clearance Sale has already been played when you play this card, +1 card, +1 action.

Otherwise, +2 cards, +2 actions, +2 coins.

If you buy a Victory card while this card is in play, trash this card."
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 20 queries.