Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 792 times)

thirtyseven

• Duke
  • Respect: +475
    • View Profile
What would you do?
« on: February 07, 2013, 03:29:11 pm »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201302/07/game-20130207-121945-b8d00c59.html

cards in supply: Festival, Gardens, Harvest, Highway, Jester, Margrave, Trader, Vault, Village♦, Wharf, and Young Witch

What would you do with this board full of goodies? And what do you on the (essentially) two different opening splits? I opened 5/2 with Wharf/nothing, trying to pick up more Wharves, some Villages to chain them together as well as protect me from curses, and also a couple of Traders to increase my deck size (in case I went Gardens which I planned to do and in fact did). I realize now that I could've probably *not* revealed the bane in order to gain a silver with trader, but oh well. Once I decided to get 2 gardens one turn and then 4 on the turn after, it was gg. I'd love to see some different (better?) strategies that you'd pick here.
I'm only a mid-level player, so I may be wrong...

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
Re: What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 04:10:48 pm »
+1

Very reactive board.  I would guess that a Highway/Wharf/Margrave mega-turn would win.  So you don't really want Curses mucking up your deck.  Your options of defense are Trader/Village.  Trader adds a Silver while Village adds nothing.  In the long run, you want a smaller deck so that you can get all of your Highways and +Buys in the same hand for the game ending turn, so the extra Silvers make that more challenging, but in the Short term, those free silvers could really help getting the engine rolling. 

Open Trader/Village maybe, get rid of a couple Estates with Trader and then focus on Trimming the deck while obtaining Wharves/Highways and more Villages.  Throw in a Margrave at some point for the Discard attack.  I'm not sure how to optimally play this strategy, but I would be willing to bet that it would crush anyone attempting Garden shenanigans.

Here's a couple solitaire games.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201302/07/game-20130207-131022-386f8f4f.html

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201302/07/game-20130207-130458-d2775bef.html

EDIT:  Obviously the mirror plays much differently.  Instead of going for a game-ending Octuple province turn, you are going for a 3-pile due to the high demand for Village, Highway and Wharf.  At some point you would need some insurance VP points and a game of chicken will likely ensue as both players want to end with a win.  In this case, Duchies may run instead of Provinces b/c with a 5/5 Highway split, it is easier to run that VP pile than the Province VP pile.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 04:15:09 pm by shark_bait »
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
Re: What would you do?
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 04:23:54 pm »

The non-mirror will also benefit greatly from Gardens as an auxiliary source of VP. In a mirror I would expect Wharf and Village to pile out and either Highway or Gardens, because Gardens are easier to get and will probably be worth as much as Duchies, if not more.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.344 seconds with 20 queries.