Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]  All

Author Topic: A Noob's Expansion - Come Rip it Apart...  (Read 65824 times)

ChaosRed

• Duke
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
Re: A Noob's Expansion - Come Rip it Apart...
« Reply #225 on: October 28, 2011, 11:02:11 am »

Didn't get any feedback on Paladin and since I worry it is far too strong, thought I'd post up some variants to see which one I get some of you to approve. I am eager to finish this guy off, so I'll have a full 25 cards to play test with. I am hoping to play test a lot this weekend and then start to gather stats on best openings.

The idea of Paladin of course is to combo with Black Knight, essentially the Black Knight can "redeem" himself and become a Paladin, while a Paladin can recruit another Black Knight over to the cause, in hopes of him being redeemed. I am big on thematic stuff like that as you can tell. Here are the two cards together with each variant of the Paladin listed:

VARIANT 1

The strongest of the variants, Paladin can just straight up recruit a 5$ card (like a very strong Workshop). But is a stronger Workshop+2VP worth far more than 6$? I fear that it is, let alone it has a tacked-on discard effect.

VARIANT 2

We take the gain ability and we put a governor on it. Now you have to discard a card to do it. Of course, if you have two Paladins, you discard a Paladin to gain a Silver and if you gain a Black Knight, well you've just propagated another Curse to your opponents. So again, pretty strong stuff. Even without the Black Knight, gaining a Dutchy for a discard, is strong and if there is a Gardens or Silk Road on the board, so much the better.

VARIANT 3

The harshest of the variants, but perhaps the most balanced. Now you must discard a very specific card to activate the gain. And the discard removes 2$ from your hand. So essentially you get a buy of a 5$ card for 2$ this way.

Which version should I play test first? The first one is just too strong I think (compared to Nobles and Harem I think it is). Harem is a 6$ card with 2VP with a 3$ ability (silver). Nobles is a 2VP card with arguably a 4$ or 2$ ability tacked on (+3 Cards, or +2 Actions). I actually think Harem is the stronger card on most boards, but that's a separate debate. I've essentially given Paladin a secondary ability better than Feast (which is 4$), so I think I need either Variant 2 or 3.

Thoughts?

How does on cost or assess a 2VP card? Is Harem the best one invented?

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 28, 2011, 11:26:43 am »

The harshest of the variants, but perhaps the most balanced. Now you must discard a very specific card to activate the gain. And the discard removes 2$ from your hand. So essentially you get a buy of a 5$ card for 2$ this way.
I think you forgot a "when you do", also in front of "gain a Silver". Otherwise you do everything, and skip what you can't do. So if you can't discard a Silver, you gain anyway.  Also, I think technically it's also a Reaction because of the "when you discard this other than", see Tunnel.

To the power, let's see.
At the "start" of the game, before greening, you basically have a University for $6, that will give you 2vps later. Without the actions. With the additional possibiliity to give you a Silver in the situations where Tunnel gives you a Gold. Not sure, but does not need to be overpowered. For building my deck, I usually would prefer a Gold. Probably also Nobles/Harem. Might work.
I'm a little bit more concerend with the end-game power. You could gain a Duchy+1VP, the card already is worth 2VP, so that's a Province. 2 Paladins in your deck which both can grap a Duchy towards the end, and you can efford to lose the Provinces 5-3. And you still have 4 cards in hand, which might buy Duchies also.
The second one leaves you with 3 cards of your choice, the last one with a 3 with a lost silver. The last one is a lot less likely to also buy a Duchy,. On the other hand, your deck is a lot weaker with Paladin (I think) than as if you would have bought Gold, so maybe it's just fair that you can the Duchies.

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #227 on: October 28, 2011, 11:27:22 am »

I think "Discard a card" is a good thought.  Why the "If it is a Victory card..." clause, though?  Seems unnecessary to reward the accumulation of victory points with more victory points.

By the way, the third variant, as written, does not require that you discard Silver in order to activate the gain -- it just requires you to discard a Silver if you've got one.

ChaosRed

• Duke
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 28, 2011, 11:42:19 am »

I think you forgot a "when you do", also in front of "gain a Silver". Otherwise you do everything, and skip what you can't do. So if you can't discard a Silver, you gain anyway.  Also, I think technically it's also a Reaction because of the "when you discard this other than", see Tunnel.

By the way, the third variant, as written, does not require that you discard Silver in order to activate the gain -- it just requires you to discard a Silver if you've got one.

Thanks for this, the card was getting crowded and I got lazy, yes most certainly needs the "if you do" clause added.

At the "start" of the game, before greening, you basically have a University for $6, that will give you 2vps later. Without the actions. With the additional possibiliity to give you a Silver in the situations where Tunnel gives you a Gold. Not sure, but does not need to be overpowered. For building my deck, I usually would prefer a Gold. Probably also Nobles/Harem. Might work.

That's interesting analysis. I think Paladin's value increases if another VP card is there for you to gain, like Gardens. In that case, in many ways its more useful than Gold. But on a board where Paladin is the only other alt-victory card, I take your point. Thanks.

I'm a little bit more concerend with the end-game power. You could gain a Duchy+1VP, the card already is worth 2VP, so that's a Province. 2 Paladins in your deck which both can grap a Duchy towards the end, and you can efford to lose the Provinces 5-3. And you still have 4 cards in hand, which might buy Duchies also.

That was part of the math of the card, Paladin+Dutchy Gain=6 VP, of course, for the price of having two greens in your hand. So if you have all Paladins in your hand and gained all Dutchies  with Paladins, you should have 16 Paladin VP, 8 Victory Tokens, 24 Dutchy points = 48 points, the same as having all 8 Provinces.

So it might be too much, as in, I might need to slow down the gain of the cards just a tad.

Great commentary, thank you.

I think "Discard a card" is a good thought.  Why the "If it is a Victory card..." clause, though?  Seems unnecessary to reward the accumulation of victory points with more victory points.

Yeah, I am starting to think a simple discard governor is a good place to start, and if it lies dead on the board, push it back up to the original design.

But in regards to your question, the idea was the math above, where Paladin+Dutchy gain is the equivalent of 1 Province. Also I wanted the VP token accrual to only be rewarded on the risk of adding more green to your hand. But, it could make the card frustrating, meaning you'd buy it in later rounds (because let's face it, you really would prefer gold). If you buy it too late though, you'll never have enough turns to get the total effect. But is it fair to just let you gain a Laboratory for a victory token? I worried that was broken. A strong, non-terminal 5, means gaining the 5$ card +1VP, at almost no-risk, (okay some risk, but minimal). I guess with the discard governor, its less of a concern though.

Also, point taken about the reaction of the discard effect. I don't have a solid image of Tunnel yet, so I could not mimic the coloring of the card or the exact title on the bottom it requires. If someone has a decent image of Tunnel, I'd be obliged if they could post it somewhere.

I need to buy you guys a beer, or a latte, or something, you have been invaluable and kind. Much, much appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 12:52:49 pm by ChaosRed »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]  All

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.