Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Starting a Private Game  (Read 9360 times)

thirtyseven

• Duke
  • Respect: +475
    • View Profile
Starting a Private Game
« on: February 06, 2013, 01:41:35 pm »

I don't understand how Private Game works. How do you allow someone (non-bot) to join a Private Game? In order to play with a friend of mine I have to make it a Request to Join game, but then sometimes I have to reject other people that try to play and I feel bad/it's annoying. Going into a near-empty lobby helps, but I still want to figure out Private Game mode. If it matters, we're both logged-in users.
I'm only a mid-level player, so I may be wrong...

thirtyseven

• Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Starting a Private Game
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 12:06:41 am »

Anyone know how Private Game mode works? Anyone at all? :-\

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 12:08:40 am »

Private game means you can only select a bot. If it is request to join you have to accept them by clicking accept. What exactly are you trying to do?

Mischief

• Swindler
  • Respect: +23
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 04:36:54 am »

I have the same problem with the Request to Join option.  If two people join nearly simultaneously, the second request will replace the first.  I've also pressed accept only to watch another box suddenly pop up instead and I accept the wrong person.  That's always an embarrassing kick afterwards.

The private game check box must just be a placeholder feature until they allow you to invite specific people from the player list.  That's my optimism talking anyway.  Although iso's secret chamber lobby is really the better model for private games.  It'd be more efficient holding private matches in private lobbies when there's only 50 spots each!

loppo

• 2014 Austrian Champion
  • Respect: +194
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 05:00:22 am »

I have the same problem with the Request to Join option.  If two people join nearly simultaneously, the second request will replace the first.

This is the reason, why i don't use the request to join option anymore. Instead i specify in the games name, what requirements i have; e.g. "for Mischief", when i would plan a private game with you. Other requirements include a minimal rating i want for the opponents like "4000+".

If someone joins, who doesn't meet the requirements he'll get kicked, andd i don't feel guilty about it. Especially if i mention a name in the games description it'll get respected all the time.

Also if you use the request to join option you can't see the rating of the people that request to join because of the dialog box, whereas you can check out the peoples rating that have taken the open seats.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 08:31:46 am »

I just go into an empty room.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

thirtyseven

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 11:15:14 am »

Private game means you can only select a bot.

What's the point of that? Selecting bots for a game takes all of 2 seconds, so what's the point in a separate mode? And why not just call it Bots Only mode?

If it is request to join you have to accept them by clicking accept. What exactly are you trying to do?

This was my thinking:

The private game check box must just be a placeholder feature until they allow you to invite specific people from the player list.  That's my optimism talking anyway.

I want to invite specific players into my game, not have random people requesting until the person I want to play with requests to join.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 11:25:52 am »

I believe at one time there was a URL in the create game screen that you could send to people to have them join your game. The private game mode is likely leftover from that.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 20 queries.